Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Re: Genre Finder 4.0 [MM2+3]

Post by Guest »

Oh. I don't know too much about programming - I just thought it would be basically a copy and paste deal, with the drop box telling it which section of code to use when it is looking up tags on last.fm.
corkabias

Post by corkabias »

trixmoto wrote:@aprzybylo - http://trixmoto.net/files/old/GenreFinder32.mmip

@corkabias - if you're using Artist mode then it won't, yet.
Thanks trixmoto...that was the problem!
framed

Post by framed »

I want to populate the 'Genre' field with just one genre, but at the same time populate another field, say 'Comment', with multiple genres. Is this possible, or will I just need to run Genre Finder twice, once to populate 'Genre' and once to populate 'Comment'? I'd rather not do this, since my library is rather large :)

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help, and thanks Trixmoto for such an outstanding script!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, if you look in the options sheet then you can add many fields to be populated concurrently.

EDIT: Just re-read your post and realised what you meant! No, sorry. You cannot specify the number of values that go into each field separately.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

Post by Guest »

framed wrote:I want to populate the 'Genre' field with just one genre, but at the same time populate another field, say 'Comment', with multiple genres. Is this possible, or will I just need to run Genre Finder twice, once to populate 'Genre' and once to populate 'Comment'? I'd rather not do this, since my library is rather large :)

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help, and thanks Trixmoto for such an outstanding script!
You can't choose different numbers for each field, but you set "use top results" to the number of items you want in the comments, then use RegExp Find & Replace to remove all but the first item in the Genre field. The easiest way to do that is probably to use the RegExp preset "Remove all text from the comma till the end of the Artist name" and change the comma to a semicolon in "Find what" and Artist to Genre in the "Into:" drop-down. That will get rid of the first semicolon and everything after it in the Genre field, leaving you with just the first (top) Genre found by Genre Finder.
framed

Post by framed »

Worked perfectly thanks!
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

aprzybylo wrote:
Guest wrote:I keep thinking of new things not long after I post. Now I think I figure it out: last.fm's 2.0 service is not as thorough as it's 1.0 one. Compare its 2.0 and 1.0 tag lists for the Beatles' "Eight Days a Week." The 1.0 list has a lot more tags. Is there an advantage to using the 2.0 service that I'm not seeing or could the script go back to using the 1.0 service while still keeping its current features? I suppose 2.0 is good if you just want basic genres (not moods, occasions, etc.) and don't want to bother with making your own whitelist, but I definitely prefer the variety of tags in the 1.0 service. I would just use the 3.2 version of the Genre Finder script (which I found after some searching), but it lacks the ability to specify the whitelist in a file, bypassing the 2,048 character limit. (My whitelists go a little over that limit if I include translations.)
Actually the difference is that in 2.0 last.fm limit the number of tags to 5. That means that if top tags are something "album I own" or something like that it leaves very little room for true tags. Also if you use this to let say set a custom field to nationality, it worked very well in 1.0, but now those tags ("british", "French" etc) will be cut in many cases.
trixmoto wrote:I imagine the 2.0 results, whilst having less results, actually has much more accurate results and just trims out the rubbish.
Is it really less results? Here is my API 2.0 result for The Beatles - Eight Days a Week using track.gettoptags not track.getinfo
The Beatles - Eight Days a Week

Which Last.fm Web Services are you using trixmoto?

Most of my mp3 have mbid (MusicBrainz id) tags. Are there any benefits (like speed or quality) of using mbid instead of artist/album/track in query's? The Beatles - Eight Days a Week using mbid If the answer is yes maybe there could be a checkbox for using mbid.
Last edited by RobertSmith on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boys Don't Cry
3.1.0.1256 - M$ Vista Business sp1, DELL laptop, WD USB HDD 1TB (iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPod 30GB, Archos AV500 60GB)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I think I'm using "getInfo" so I'll have to look at changing all of these in the next version. Where is your MBID stored?
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

trixmoto wrote:I think I'm using "getInfo" so I'll have to look at changing all of these in the next version. Where is your MBID stored?
Great! :D

mbid is stored in extended tags e.g.

MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID
MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID
MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID

If they have to be in MM library I supposed they could be stored in on of the MM extended tags like customX separated with ;
Boys Don't Cry
3.1.0.1256 - M$ Vista Business sp1, DELL laptop, WD USB HDD 1TB (iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPod 30GB, Archos AV500 60GB)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Unfortunately until MM4 I won't be able to access those tags, but once they become available I will add this option to the script.
RifRaf

Post by RifRaf »

trixmoto, are you noticing that the API 2.0 lastfm results for artist/track lookups seem to be odd or broken? whereas artist only is ok.

some example results below for an artist and artist - track lookups for api 1.0 and 2.0, what are the large counts returned with the version 2.0 api and how are these usable and the count is not relative to the 1.0 results and would give wrong results if you based it on the highest count value

Code: Select all

Lastfm Results for      Nirvana - In Bloom      Nirvana 
API                     1.0     2.0             1.0     2.0
Grunge                  100     149239          100     100
Rock                    43      2307309         49      50
90s                     28      246490          20      20
Nirvana                 28      9294            7       7
Alternative             26      1220239         31      31
Alternative Rock        17      596950          26      26
Seattle                 7       15031           3       3
Hard Rock               6       405005          2       2
Punk                    5       518989          8       8
Rock Band               3       2149            
Favorites               3       194488          1       1
Indie                   3       1139278         5       5
In Bloom                3       36              
American                3       163675          3       3
Kurt Cobain             2       1172            1       1
Classic Rock            2       609455          2       2
Male Vocalist           2       44818           0       0
Grunge Rock             2       1660            1       1
Awesome                 2       114159          
Nirvana - In Bloom      1       12              
Classics                1       8839            
1991                    1       2753            
Favorite Songs          1       43572           
Metal                                           3       3
Punk Rock                                       2       2
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'll investigate this when I'm working on the next version. Thank you for bring it to my attention.
Alterx

Post by Alterx »

Maybe this has been solved but i was unable to find an answer.

I dont' understand how can i translate tags from one entry to antoher.... RnB=Rhythm And Blues, for example, doesen't work.

I have this kind of white list:
*,Rnb=Rhythm And Blues, Rock N Roll=Rock And Roll

and this string for the black list:
50%,60%,70%,80%,90%,00%,Stax,Neo-Soul,Oldies

The query is usually by Artist or by Album.

I receive the following error too if a check

"Error #13 - VBScript run-time error
Tipo non corrispondente: '[string: "artists"]'
File: <path>\genreFinder.vbs, Line 1748, Column 12

Then i have to close MM if i want to end the script and finish the job i see in the progression bar.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bye

Andrea
butler360

Post by butler360 »

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already, but the thread is 31 pages long now and I don't want to scan through it all!

Any artist with an ampersand in the title will not return any genre results. Not a huge problem since there are few artists with an "&" in their title, but it would be nice to have anyways.

Thanks!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

@Alterx - it's not possible to use both a whitelist and a blacklist at the same time. Unfortunately that error is a known issue which I will fix in the next version.

@butler360 - I'll check this out when I'm working on the next version and make sure it is sorted, thanks for reporting.