Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Azaniah

Post by Azaniah » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:37 pm

That would certainly explain that :D

Any suggestions as to why the saving changes gets stuck? I can't even cancel the task.. requires a kill of MM3 via task manager. Single tracks appear to be OK, just doing around 10 tracks.

Thanks again

Noted that when the show confirmation option isn't selected it works. (i.e. doesn't get stuck).

I was digging around to try and find the logfile, but couldn't see anything obvious.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:09 pm

Not, I've no idea why this is happening. Enabling or disabling the show confirmation option shouldn't make any different, as far as I can remember there's no extra code run in this instance when saving the settings. :-?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Send me BTC: 34VQPVsf9mCeR4nfhFvvBYZqQ7LkqNZ8Mn
Send me LTC: 3P1mzrfbyscdhbxRpXLgKz7tufGAU3SrEG
Send me DOGE: 9xPpYSqgF7P5yQiqvE1VqWb4UjxVCCLFJ6
Check out these great cryptocurrency faucets... BTC / LTC / DOGE

bob61

Post by bob61 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:33 am

Azaniah wrote:That would certainly explain that :D

Any suggestions as to why the saving changes gets stuck? I can't even cancel the task.. requires a kill of MM3 via task manager. Single tracks appear to be OK, just doing around 10 tracks.

Thanks again

Noted that when the show confirmation option isn't selected it works. (i.e. doesn't get stuck).

I was digging around to try and find the logfile, but couldn't see anything obvious.
I've encountered this same problem, have found no pattern. Sometimes it works as it should, other times it doesn't (just locks up, can't terminate it or anything).

Interestingly, as I write this I was running a Genre Finder on 25 tracks and now it's stuck with the "Saving selected changes.....", no movement at all. I don't recall this problem with 2.5.

What I have also noticed is it seems like it saves changes even for tracks that haven't changed. I had grouped 30 tracks to update the Genre, only found 1 hit. Yet the saving changes progress bar rolled down as if each track was getting updated (I would expect the changes to only be 1 track and almost instantaneous). Related to the above problem, perhaps.... just thought I'd mention it.

bob61

Post by bob61 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:09 pm

I have been playing with this to see if I could find pattern. Nothing yet. I had selected single songs. First song selected caused lock-up, had to use Task Manger to kill MM3. Reloaded MM3 and selected same song and worked fine. Did another 6-7 songs individually and no problem. Grabbed 30 songs, the script processed the suggested changes and it started to make the updates (I could see the tracks getting updated in the status window. It got about 4-5 tracks in and just stopped dead. Been sitting unchanged for 4 minutes. Terminate does nothing, another had stop using Task Manager.

Reloaded MM3 and selected another 30 tracks, lock-up once again when processing the changes. This is a reoccurring problem, just not sure what triggering the freeze up.

bob61

Post by bob61 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:31 pm

Continueing to look into pattern, I did notice this. I have confirmation on, selected the first 25 tracks in my track selection.

Script gets updated Genres and I confirm the update. Here is list of tracks that show as being updated.

GF starts to update and then stops after the first 6-7 tracks (focus on the first track, it's changed from POP to ROCK as expected. I can see the genres on the first couple tracks are updated and then just stops.

I am forced to terminate MM3 using Task Manager. When I restart MM3 I find that the tracks that had been shown as being changed by Genre Finder are in fact as the original were, Here is screenshot of the tracks after I restarted MM3 - note the genres are same as the first image (again look at the first track, it again shows as POP even though we saw from the screenshot above it was updated to ROCK).

I was able to repeat this same problem 3 times in a row - so this is repeatable. As the genres aren't updated after I restart MM3 after the script locks up is there maybe a problem with the commit to the database?

Now, following the cue from Azaniah I turned off confirmation and processed the same 25 tracks (the same 25 I had done 3 times previously with Confirmation "on" and had experienced where the script just becomes non-responsive). It processed the 25 tracks without a problem. So while I understand trixmoto say it should make a difference, my testing proves the opposite.

Here is screenshot of the tracks after processing with confirmation "off", notice the tracks updated and no lock-up of the script!

Hope this helps you to track down what may be going wrong....

bob61

Post by bob61 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:55 pm

As another follow-up, with confirmation turned off I let the script process 500 tracks, all processed fine and with no lock-up.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:11 am

Ok, I'll try to investigate this as soon as I get a chance.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

Horsenaround

Post by Horsenaround » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:05 am

Trix. Is it possible to write the genre with a space character after the semi colon?

Such as ...
Rock; Pop; Folk instead of Rock;Pop;Folk

This allows WMP to interpret the multiple genres and stream them out seperately to Media Players such as the Yamaha RX-V2700.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:12 am

Sorry, this is a typo - I'll get it fixed in the next version!

jan2k

problem

Post by jan2k » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:52 pm

I have following problem

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Thanks, fixing this is on my list but I've not fixed it yet.

bob61

Post by bob61 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:13 pm

bob61 wrote:Continueing to look into pattern, I did notice this. I have confirmation on, selected the first 25 tracks in my track selection.

Script gets updated Genres and I confirm the update. Here is list of tracks that show as being updated.

GF starts to update and then stops after the first 6-7 tracks (focus on the first track, it's changed from POP to ROCK as expected. I can see the genres on the first couple tracks are updated and then just stops.

I am forced to terminate MM3 using Task Manager. When I restart MM3 I find that the tracks that had been shown as being changed by Genre Finder are in fact as the original were, Here is screenshot of the tracks after I restarted MM3 - note the genres are same as the first image (again look at the first track, it again shows as POP even though we saw from the screenshot above it was updated to ROCK).

I was able to repeat this same problem 3 times in a row - so this is repeatable. As the genres aren't updated after I restart MM3 after the script locks up is there maybe a problem with the commit to the database?

Now, following the cue from Azaniah I turned off confirmation and processed the same 25 tracks (the same 25 I had done 3 times previously with Confirmation "on" and had experienced where the script just becomes non-responsive). It processed the 25 tracks without a problem. So while I understand trixmoto say it should make a difference, my testing proves the opposite.

Here is screenshot of the tracks after processing with confirmation "off", notice the tracks updated and no lock-up of the script!

Hope this helps you to track down what may be going wrong....
SQUEAK - SQUEAK - SQUEAK They say the squeaky wheel gets the oil, I'm squeaking to see if any movement in to resolve this?

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:41 am

All I can say is that it is on my list, but I've not had much spare time recently - sorry.

bob61

Post by bob61 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:31 am

trixmoto wrote:All I can say is that it is on my list, but I've not had much spare time recently - sorry.
That's cool.... I can appreciate that.

Aphex_Twin77

Post by Aphex_Twin77 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:35 pm

Stupid question (maybe it has already been asked in the last 14 pages) but where can I access this script after installing?
I have MM3 and I can't find the script in the "tools>scripts" menu.
It's also not on my task bar. However if I open "tools>extensions" it is there.
Is there another menu for scripts that I am missing?

Thanks!