Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

micstermarvin

Post by micstermarvin » Tue May 27, 2008 1:51 am

It's been mentioned quite a bit, but I also am interested in a clean "Whitelist". I'm surprised that within 17 pages no one has posted it yet...

Trajan

Installation Problem

Post by Trajan » Tue May 27, 2008 7:33 am

After running the installer I get a message that installation was successful. But when I go to the Scripts menu, it is not there. I'm using the latest version of MM and Windows Vista. Any ideas?

Thanks,

t

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Tue May 27, 2008 3:53 pm

Does the "GenreFinder Settings" option sheet appear in the options? Does the toolbar icon appear (looks like a magnifying glass)? Have you tried restarting MM after installing the script?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Send me BTC: 34VQPVsf9mCeR4nfhFvvBYZqQ7LkqNZ8Mn
Send me LTC: 3P1mzrfbyscdhbxRpXLgKz7tufGAU3SrEG
Send me DOGE: 9xPpYSqgF7P5yQiqvE1VqWb4UjxVCCLFJ6
Check out these great cryptocurrency faucets... BTC / LTC / DOGE

Post by Guest » Tue May 27, 2008 6:53 pm

trixmoto wrote:Does the "GenreFinder Settings" option sheet appear in the options? Does the toolbar icon appear (looks like a magnifying glass)? Have you tried restarting MM after installing the script?
Thank you trixmoto not only for your helpful information but for your excellent scripts as well. Found the toolbar icon and it works perfectly. What a great script!

t

aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo » Wed May 28, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks for the script, after last set of fixes works great. Maybe one little possible improvement, when the song ha more then one artist separated by ";" it will look for both artists and I'm not sure what rules it follows to set the value (first one is used, or the last parsed???). I guess it's enough to just look for first artist in the list and ignore the others and set the value based on the genre of first one in the list. Other that the scripts works great.

On the similar topic would it be possible to adapt that script to fill different fields. Example I would like to see look for first release of every album (song?) and set the year based on that value.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Thu May 29, 2008 2:59 am

It depends what mode you're in, but often it uses the "primary" artist (which is the first in the list) when it tags. This is to avoid conflict with other values overwriting each other.

It would be possible to have a similar script, but it would need to use a different source and the options would be rather different, so I don't think it would ever become part of this script.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

Seeker

Post by Seeker » Thu May 29, 2008 1:11 pm

I guess I always do it odd. Sorry Trixmoto.

I wanted to populate Occasion with Genres,
and used white list (mis-spellings below are intentional)

Occassion | White | *Genre

The idea was to populate Occasion with Genres and then compare them to my Genres since I do have them all populated.

Unfortunately it blows up and freezes - I think it is because Occassion is mis-spelled in the script? (itm.Occassion complain complain...)

Also, when working, (it works if I use Mood, but I use that field for other things, whereas I don't use occasion), I really don't mind if it places whatever in that field, within reason.

So do I need a white list at all when I get started since really I'm 'gathering info' and placing it into a field for examination and possible change to genre using a different edit script? Somehow although the field is unused and therefore hard to hurt, I somehow think I'm still missing some opportunity by not using a white or black list (sort of pre-edits before comparing to MY Genre values).

Thanks - and thoughts appreciated by anyone.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Fri May 30, 2008 3:28 am

Wow, I'm surprised no one's noticed that before! You'll need to correct the spelling on lines 1419, 1465, 1554, 1823 and 1897 (of the latest version).

If you just wanna take a look at what's coming back then just select a few and don't worry about a list. If you get results you don't like, you can use them to slowly build up a blacklist.

U73

Access protection problem

Post by U73 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi,
I have a problem with this wonderful GenreFinder script, because I do not run MM as administrator. The script creates a file "ScriptPath&".htm". That fails because a non-admin account has no write access to the /programs/ directory. Would it be possible to fix that?
Thanks!

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:29 am

Nope, sorry. It needs to create a temporary file so that IE is running in the "My Computer" zone, otherwise if you write directly to the IE window you have to open up much more of your security levels to make it work.

AliZ

Post by AliZ » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi trixmoto,

I tried the following:

Genre | White | *+%Pop%+%Rock%+%Metal%+%Punk%

Nothing happens. If I set Genre to None, everythings works fine.

Any suggestions?
Thx
AliZ

AliZ

Post by AliZ » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:25 pm

I tried to locate/open the log file, but I can't find it. :oops: Can someone tell me please where it is located?

Thx
AliZ

Asyntyche

Post by Asyntyche » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:44 pm

This is a really neat script, the only thing I can't figure out with this is if there is a way to tag multiple fields with different amounts of tags in each. e.g. :

Genre - Allow only 1 tag (most popular)
Custom 1 - Allow 3 most popular tags (can include genre tag)

I would like to run this in album mode, so that the genre field is kept quite clean, but searching the library produces results other than just the primary genre tag.

Is this possible? At the moment i just grab the 3 most popular for custom 1, then fill in genre automatically.

AliZ

Search mode album seems not to work

Post by AliZ » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:01 am

Hi trix,

Track mode works pretty fine, despite of "shit in" "shit out". Some people have strange thinking about tagging. E.g. Songs from AC/DC get the tag AC/DC. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyway. If I try album search, nothing happens. I get the message that e.g. 1 album has been processed, but the genre is never been updated.

I checked your code

Code: Select all

Select Case que.Item("run")
    Case "tracks"
      prog.Text = "GenreFinder: Processing track '"&itm.Title&"' - "&cur&"/"&max 
      str = "http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/1.0/track/"&fixurl(itm.ArtistName)&"/"&fixurl(itm.Title)&"/toptags.xml"
      res = "Response"
    Case "albums"
      prog.Text = "GenreFinder: Processing album '"&itm.Name&"' - "&cur&"/"&max 
      Dim tmp : Set tmp = itm.Tracks.Item(0)
      str = "http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/1.0/track/"&fixurl(tmp.ArtistName)&"/"&fixurl(tmp.Title)&"/toptags.xml"
      res = "Response3"
      que.Item("trk") = 1
      Dim arr : arr = Split(que.Item("fld"),"|")
      For cur = 0 To UBound(arr)
        que.Item("alb"&Left(arr(cur),1)) = ""
      Next
    Case "artists"
      prog.Text = "GenreFinder: Processing artist '"&itm.Name&"' - "&cur&"/"&max 
      str = "http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/1.0/artist/"&fixurl(itm.Name)&"/toptags.xml"
      res = "Response2"
    Case Else
      Call ClearUp("Sorry, unknown run mode '"&que.Item("run")&"'.",mtError)
      Exit Sub
  End Select
For track mode you use: ...audioscrobbler.com/1.0/track/...
For artist mode you use: ...audioscrobbler.com/1.0/artist/...
For album mode you use: ...audioscrobbler.com/1.0/track... Why?? Why not using ...1.0/album/...??

AliZ

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:45 pm

@AliZ - you cannot do "%Pop%", you can only do "%Pop" or "Pop%". The logfile should appear in your windows temporary directory which you can find by entering %TEMP% in an explorer window.

@Asyntyche - unfortunately it's not possible to define a multiple a different number for each field. I wanted to, but the structure of the script doesn't really make this possible.

@AliZ - I don't use an album webservice because there isn't one available to use. If you're not getting any results then that's because the "shit in" is not consistent between the tracks in the album.