Page 1 of 1
Original year from....
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:26 am
Does anyone know of a good source for original year on a per track basis? I'd like to spend 10-15 minutes tagging 30,000+ tracks with the original year
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:21 am
Are you really going to spend a big 15 minutes of your time on this?
How generous your are!
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:12 pm
It may take a l i t t l e bit longer than 10-15 minutes.
Any idea, suggestions?
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:50 pm
I use wikipedia for finding the original year, but it will take you 10 - 15 months, not minutes, to do all those tracks.
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:12 pm
Yeah...I've been doing that.
Anyone up for a scripting challenge?
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:33 am
I use allmusic.com - a little slow but always reliable. What you'd really want is a script that queries the AMG database, but Lasso
licenses don't come cheap... Shall we start a collection?
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:54 pm
10-15 minutes to get the original year for a whole collection?!!
Man, more often than not I spend that kind of time PER SONG!
IMO 'original year' is one of the most interesting but also most difficult fields to populate.
Sources I use, pretty much in order of importance:
1. allmusic (almost useless for music outside the anglo-saxon realm)
2. wikipedia (not always reliable)
3. google, used in several ways:
- searching for an artist's official homepage / a good fanpage and hoping for a biography or complete discography
- searching for lyrics
- searching for charts for that particular music genre
5. the Joel Whitburn chart book (or rather, one of the XLS files that circulate every now and then on alt.binaries.sounds.whitburn.pop)
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:25 pm
I little off the subject, but has anyone tried to change the Original Year by hitting F2. It works on the other fields , but not O/Y.