Request for a script: Last.fm-based playlist creator:Genius

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

cali

Request for a script: Last.fm-based playlist creator:Genius

Post by cali »

It would be great to have a script that can populate a playlist based on Last.fm recommendations. That way the Last.fm feature could be used even from a device. The playlists could be customizable in size, similarity, etc.

I have no idea how to create scripts but I think it would be a good idea. Anybody?
Last edited by cali on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

try my last.fm node script (link in sig)

selecting the root last.fm node will load related tracks to the currently playing track, from there you can select tracks to send to a playlist or send the whole list.

You can also generate lists based on specific artists, tags, user charts, group charts, or location charts.
cali

Post by cali »

I do have your script installed, thanks for it. But I actually was talking about something simpler, like a auto-DJ Last.fm playlist generator. For instance, you start with one artist and it's generate a 100-track playlist that can be easily synced to a device.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I don't think it will be possible to create an auto-playlist like that, especially something that can be synced automatically.

About the best thing that may be possible is to generate a related track list (either via last.fm nodes) or some other scripts implementation, and send that to a sync playlist via 'send to'. Or I suppose it could have a designated playlist to generate and send to, but eh IMO I would rather have more control over what gets sent.
cali

Post by cali »

Well, it wouldn't have to sync the playlists automatically, just generate them. I think a feasible way to do this would be to "trick" Last.fm into thinking that MM is playing the tracks for a second, so Last.fm could send back the information; and then start the whole process again based on the generated file, and so on until the playlist is completed.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

What "recommendations" are you using? My "SimilarArtists" script builds playlists based on a seed artist, using the Last.FM webservice for similar artists.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
cali

Post by cali »

I also use your script but I was talking about something more like an off-line Last.fm Auto-DJ. So it'd create a plylist by adding a new track based on the previous track's Last.fm recommendations, one by one. That's why I thought a way to do this would be to trick Last.fm into thinking that MM is actually playing the tracks instead of just calling for information.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I see, you want it to loop through sequential recommended tracks instead of a list of recommended/similar tracks for a single track. (which is what last.fm node dj and scrobbler dj do, albeit one track at a time).
cali

Post by cali »

Right! sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I rarely use my iPod's shuffle feature, it's way too random. I think many people here love the Auto-DJ feature based on Last.fm so it would be nice to have it everywhere.
drjboulder

Post by drjboulder »

I like this idea... agree that Shuffle can be a bit to random with a large number of tracks on the player.
But, what I am thinking is that I will just make a playlist using LastFM node.
By;
Writing down my top ten artist.
Entering them individually under lastFM node.
Send the results from the ten entries to New Playlist/"Last FM"
That would give you a fairly large playlist of songs that you would probably want to hear.
D Rock
MediaMonkeyGoldv3.0.3.1183
Vista Home Basic|4thGen 20GPod
Zune Small Player Skin w/ Aqua 4 Player Mod
Backup | Last FM Node | Scrobbler DJ | TopTracks | StayInSameStyleDJ
RadioDJ | RadioFreeMonkey | PrettyPictures | MiniLyricsEmbedder
LyricsViewer | Lyricator | LyricsPlugin | VisualizationEmbedder | MonkeyRok
RightClickForWeb | WebSearchPanels | WebNodes | MagicNodes | FavoritesNodes
NowPlayingArtNode |AutoRateAccurate | TaggingInconsistencies
AdvancedDuplicateFind&Fix | CaseModify | PlayHistory&Stats | Etc...
cali

Re: Request for a script: Last.fm-based playlist creator:Genius

Post by cali »

I should've patented this idea :wink: This is basically what iTunes' Genius is like but with Last.fm rather than apple's geniuses, it would be better.

**bump for that**
Windows Vista -- MM 3.1.0.1227 -- 6 Gen iPod
Benn

Post by Benn »

This http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=12496 is similar to what you want; maybe you could request that it could be modified to use last.fm?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Benn wrote:This http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=12496 is similar to what you want; maybe you could request that it could be modified to use last.fm?
Last.fm DJ is already available, which is basically exactly what you are describing.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
cali

Post by cali »

No it's not, which is the basic difference with Apple's Genius. That feature can create playlists that can be used offline or on a portable device.
Windows Vista -- MM 3.1.0.1227 -- 6 Gen iPod
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

cali wrote:No it's not, which is the basic difference with Apple's Genius. That feature can create playlists that can be used offline or on a portable device.
No, sorry for the confusion - that's not what I meant. Benn stated that possibly MusicMagicDJ could be adapted to use Last.fm, but such a script already exists - Last.fm DJ.

However, as far as a playlist creation feature goes, there is Similar Artists by trixmoto that creates a playlist from a track by comparing the author of that track to similar artists at Last.fm.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.