MonkeyFlow 1.4

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

flashk

Re: MonkeyFlow 1.1 [MM3]

Post by flashk »

Is anybody willing to help me test out the issue in Vista where the MonkeyFlow window is offset? I've tested on multiple Vista / Win7 machines and cannot reproduce the problem. If you are experiencing this problem and are using the latest beta version of 3.1.2 then send me a PM and I'll provide you with some instructions to help me test it out.
galakadon

Post by galakadon »

I wish I could help but monkeyFlow actually runs better on with7 than on XP for me.
flashk

Post by flashk »

Based on the feedback from all the testers, I believe the window offset problem is fixed now. The next version should be available some time after MM 3.2 is officially released.

Thanks again to all the people who helped with testing.
performer

Post by performer »

The following is part of the conversation I've been exchanging with flashk in PMs, which I'm taking the liberty of posting here (I hope you don't mind, our hero :) ) so anyone else could provide further insight.
flashk wrote:MF uses the FreeType library for rendering fonts. Maybe FreeType doesn't support font linking.
It turns out that FreeType indeed lacks support for font linking:
some webzine reporter wrote:The iType Connects plug-in for Linux offers features not found in the FreeType technology commonly used by embedded Linux developers, says the company, including:
Font linking capabilities, which help manage a device's font memory footprint by grouping fonts so that they can be treated as a single font, without having to merge multiple font files (see below diagram)
The following links provide some background information on what font linking does:
Globalization Step-by-Step Fonts
Sorting It All Out Font substitution and linking #1

The significance of font linking to MonkeyFlow would be that it would resolve nearly all, if not all, issues anyone listening to songs with titles written in, say, French, Korean, Latvian and Quechua inevitably faces.

Testing of some beta builds verifies that changing the default font for MF, as opposed to using font linking, works wonderfully on track titles or artist names written in East Asian characters and probably most other non-English characters.
There are some minor glitches, though:

1. MF would not be capable of displaying, say, Korean and Japanese letters in a single title.
2. The user would have to change the default font setting every time he switches from, say, Chinese songs to Chansons.
3. Latinate (aka 'English' or 'Romaji') characters mixed with Japanese ones in a track title are displayed as 'full-width' (taking up 2 Latin letter space) characters, shown in rather ugly horizontally elongated form, rather than more preferable 'half-width' (one normal letter space) ones.

Although, for example, my primary musical interest lies in swing and cool Jazz, I also listen to bossa nova and other Latin jazz, as well as occasionally Korean pop, Japanese pop, chanson, and other world music.
If anyone else is like me (i guess quite a sizable portion of peeps are), he/she would have to pause playback on MM, manually modify the default font for each and every character set, and resume playback.

Integrating font linking support in MF would eliminate the above issues once and for all.
I don't intend to put pressure on you or anything like that, flashk, :P but given all his hard work and valuable time already committed to the project, I hope anyone else could offer some insight to a possible solution or work around.
moebius

Post by moebius »

Hey, first of all: wonderful script, thanks a lot!
I'm experiencing something strange under Windows 7 now. Monkeyflow 1.1 used to run superb under XP. In Windows 7 now I only get Monkeyflow 1 to work. Start external or imbedded Monkeflow 1.1 gets me the error message: Error while connecting (Check login-file).

Here the end of the login-file:

** Load Time: 0.60 seconds
Creating MediaMonkeyDB object
Starting database thread
Connecting to MediaMonkeyInitializing COM

Creating handle to SongsDB.SDBApplication COM server
Connected to MediaMonkey 3.2.0
Reading INI options
Max cover size: 0
Cache folder: c:\users\admin\appdata\local\temp\monkeyflow_cache
------------------------------------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "MediaMonkeyDB.py", line 437, in _dbConnect
File "C:\Program Files\WorldViz\Vizard30\bin\lib\codecs.py", line 669, in open
LookupError: unknown encoding: utf-16-le
Querying database for all albums
Iterating through query results
Filtering album list
Filtering album list using active filter query:
File "MediaMonkeyDB.py", line 302, in _dbThread
File "MediaMonkeyDB.py", line 495, in _dbConnect
File "MediaMonkeyDB.py", line 529, in _dbUpdateFilter
File "MonkeyFlow.py", line 120, in log
File "MonkeyFlow.py", line 120, in <generator expression>
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf6' in position 146: ordinal not in range(128)
Database thread shutting down
File "Main_MonkeyFlow.py", line 149, in _connectThread
File "MediaMonkeyDB.py", line 129, in __init__
MMDBError: Error while connecting
(check log file)

I read some other people here having a similiar problem (Error while connecting) but I never read a solution for it and am not really into programming. Does somebody have a solution for this? (Tried to run as admin, comp-xp-modus, etc.)

Thanks a lot!
tobinu

Post by tobinu »

moebius wrote:Hey, first of all: wonderful script, thanks a lot!
I'm experiencing something strange under Windows 7 now. Monkeyflow 1.1 used to run superb under XP. In Windows 7 now I only get Monkeyflow 1 to work. Start external or imbedded Monkeflow 1.1 gets me the error message: Error while connecting (Check login-file).

I read some other people here having a similiar problem (Error while connecting) but I never read a solution for it and am not really into programming. Does somebody have a solution for this? (Tried to run as admin, comp-xp-modus, etc.)

Thanks a lot!
I'm hoping that the new version of MF will solve this problem. I was never able to find a solution...
flashk

Re: MonkeyFlow 1.2 [MM3]

Post by flashk »

I've released a new version of MonkeyFlow. This new version requires MediaMonkey 3.2 or higher. Here's a list of some of the changes:
  • Added "Browse by" option for browsing albums by either library, tracklist, or now playing list.
  • Added new appearance options for changing colors, background image, viewing angles, and hiding text/buttons.
  • Fixed window offset issue with Windows Vista/7
  • Faster startup time
  • Option for changing text font
  • Lots of small fixes/optimizations
Enjoy!

Post by Guest »

Hello Flashk

Thank you for updating Monkeyflow to 1.2. Looks like you have worked hard and with the MM devs and taken it to the next level.

Everything works for me now and no more COM errors on shutdown of XP with MM open. That was probably pretty hard to fix and looking at the 3.02 patch notes maybe the MM devs did something too.

Very smooth startup and operation .... A finished product. MM should pay you something and incorporate into the next release
jonp

Post by jonp »

Thanks mate - good stuff.
danhackley

Post by danhackley »

flashk - excellent work, script is now much better, I'm enjoying using it :)

One question; when browsing monkeyflow by "tracklist" (my preferred option), selecting an album in the monkeyflow window brings up the tracks in the details pane below. However, the first track of the album is displayed at the bottom of the details pane, so I have to scroll down each time to see the rest of the tracks. Would it be possible to have the details pane to show only the tracks for the album which has been selected in Monkeyflow, rather than all the other tracks for the selected node as well? If this is not possible, then having the first track appear at the top of the details pane with the rest of the tracks below it would be good also.

Thanks
Dan
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2
Looking for jukebox software that manages a large collection, has good album art integration and plays flac as well as MP3
Aff

Post by Aff »

Hello Flashk

Thanks for the new version! Sadly it only worked a few times, after closing and restarting MediaMonkey I got "error while connecting". Meanwhile it doesn't work at all, even a reboot of the PC doesn't help now. But the old version still works. Any idea?

The end of the log:

Creating MediaMonkeyDB object
Starting database thread
Connecting to MediaMonkeyInitializing COM

Creating handle to SongsDB.SDBApplication COM server
Connected to MediaMonkey 3.2.0
Reading INI options
Max cover size: 0
Cache folder: c:\users\myuser\appdata\local\temp\monkeyflow_cache
Querying database for all albums
File "MediaMonkeyDB.py", line 376, in _dbThread
File "MediaMonkeyDB.py", line 513, in _dbConnect
File "MediaMonkeyDB.py", line 306, in _dbQuery
OperationalError: database is locked
Database thread shutting down
File "Main_MonkeyFlow.py", line 157, in _connectThread
File "MediaMonkeyDB.py", line 130, in __init__
MMDBError: Error while connecting
(check log file)
flashk

Post by flashk »

danhackley wrote:One question; when browsing monkeyflow by "tracklist" (my preferred option), selecting an album in the monkeyflow window brings up the tracks in the details pane below. However, the first track of the album is displayed at the bottom of the details pane, so I have to scroll down each time to see the rest of the tracks. Would it be possible to have the details pane to show only the tracks for the album which has been selected in Monkeyflow, rather than all the other tracks for the selected node as well? If this is not possible, then having the first track appear at the top of the details pane with the rest of the tracks below it would be good also.
I purposely made it so that browsing in tracklist mode would not modify the tracklist. This would be a little confusing and counter-intuitive. Ideally, I would like the first track of the selected album to appear in the center of the tracks window (similar to iTunes & Songbird). However, I don't know of any way of controlling this behavior through the MM scripting interface. I've posted requests on the developer forum here and here for these features. Hopefully the devs can add this ability to a future version.
flashk

Post by flashk »

Aff wrote:Thanks for the new version! Sadly it only worked a few times, after closing and restarting MediaMonkey I got "error while connecting". Meanwhile it doesn't work at all, even a reboot of the PC doesn't help now. But the old version still works. Any idea?
Is MM writing to the database when MonkeyFlow starts up? The new version connects directly to the database file, so if MM has a lock on it then it might timeout while connecting. I'll modify MF to retry the connection if it is locked. I'll send you a PM with a link to a new version.
reVixed

Post by reVixed »

Fantastic work flashk (and testers) in resolving the offset issue! Working beautifully now Win7, MM3.2, MF1.2 !!

Very pleased!!!! Thanks again!
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

I was very excited to see the update, but it doesn't work for me. Once the new version (upgraded from v1.1) is installed, I always get an error msg. First one is if I have MonkeyFlow enabled by default on opening MM (error screen seen before MM opens up):

Code: Select all

Error #21747010895 - WshShell.Exec
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

File:  "C:\Program Files\Audio\DJ\MediaMonkey\Scripts\Auto\Monkeyflow.vbs", line: 54. Column: 2
The second error msg is displayed when I have MonkeyFlow disabled upon startup, but choose to start it once MM is already up and running:

Code: Select all

Error # 2147024891 - WshShell.Exec
Access is denied.

File:  "C:\Program Files\Audio\DJ\MediaMonkey\Scripts\Auto\Monkeyflow.vbs", line: 54. Column:
The v1.1 worked fine, but I don't have a copy of it to revert back to in order to test completely. I used to have modified config settings in MM.ini for MonkeyFlow v1.1, but removed them completely when I ran into this trouble - it made no difference.

(Running 3.2.0.1294)