MusicBrainz Tagger [MM3] v2.0 2008-03-29

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Neil Parks

Re: MusicBrainz Tagger [MM3] v1.2 2008-11-26

Post by Neil Parks »

Sounds interesting. Trying to download the 1.2, but getting "database connection error" from Media Fire.
mistresso

Re: MusicBrainz Tagger [MM3] v1.2 2008-11-26

Post by mistresso »

MediaFire is just flaky. Try again a half hour later ... it seems to often "fix itself".

I'm digging the new script - knew about MB for some time now. However, they do often seem to be lacking when it comes to more obscure artists. Maybe I should try the Discogs script for those?

One of the anomalies that seems to be bugging me, though, is that it appears (while on the MusicBrainz Auto-Tag from web screen) that even if I do not have "Tracks" and "Cover" checked, they seem to keep getting written to the tag at times...

The track "corrections" in the song title rows show up highlighted in yellow all the time now for me, even though I do not want them to be compared. They do not seem to be getting overwritten, though, unless the actual row for the song is checked - it's just that the highlighting of tracks that differ is somewhat confusing to me since the "Tracks" box is unchecked. Plus- If I for example, only have "Genre" checked, but the song title is showing up in yellow with "changeable' wording, AND I check the row in order to affect the genre update, the track title is also changed upon clicking Auto-Tag.

The cover art comes across almost all the time, whether I have it checked as an option or not.
onenonymous

Re: MusicBrainz Tagger [MM3] v1.4 2009-02-08

Post by onenonymous »

Script is updated

Version 1.4 February 8, 2009 Installer for v 1.4
- Cleaned up search functionality if it didn't find the song on the first try. New method does search in this order:
  • -The search term manually entered by the user if any
    -MusicIP lookup to get the PUID and see if MusicBrainz knows about it
    -Search on the seed song's Title and Artist
    -Search on the seed song's Title and Album Artist
    -Search on the seed song's Album Name and Artist
    -Search on the seed song's Album Name and Album Artist
    -Search on the seed song's Artist
    -Search on the seed song's Album Artist
    -Search on the seed song's Album Name
    -Search on the seed song's Title
-Added code to display search progress
-Cleaned up code that adds the songs to the song selector drop down
-Fixed processing for which tags get updated and which fields are highlighted in yellow
mohikaani

Re: MusicBrainz Tagger [MM3] v1.4 2008-02-08

Post by mohikaani »

Why does this script modify the file timestamps although it doesn't rewrite the tags?
Windows 7 | MediaMonkey 3.2.0.1294
Dell Studio 1537 (Core 2 Duo T6400, 320GB HD, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 3450)
onenonymous

Post by onenonymous »

mohikaani wrote:Why does this script modify the file timestamps although it doesn't rewrite the tags?
:-? The purpose of the script is to modify some of the tags. I haven't checked to see if it's changing timestamps on songs that aren't changed, but any that you do tag with new info I'd expect would get a new timestamp.
mohikaani

Post by mohikaani »

onenonymous wrote:
mohikaani wrote:Why does this script modify the file timestamps although it doesn't rewrite the tags?
:-? The purpose of the script is to modify some of the tags. I haven't checked to see if it's changing timestamps on songs that aren't changed, but any that you do tag with new info I'd expect would get a new timestamp.
But that's why MM has an option "Update tags when editing properties" and I have unchecked it. I think it's good to have this kind of general option for editing. There is also an option "Modify timestamp when updating tags" which is checked..
Windows 7 | MediaMonkey 3.2.0.1294
Dell Studio 1537 (Core 2 Duo T6400, 320GB HD, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 3450)
jdsony

Post by jdsony »

Anyone get the country code working? No matter what I do it won't add in the country code. I also thought it would blank out fields that were checked but have no information such as genre.
onenonymous

Post by onenonymous »

jdsony wrote:Anyone get the country code working? No matter what I do it won't add in the country code.
The country code appears in the MusicBrainz xml, so I show it on the search results - however MM doesn't have a field for country code, so I don't have any place to put it. I could force it into one of the Custom fields, but that may not be what the user wants, so I defaulted to not putting it anywhere. I'll think about a method to let the user decide where to put it if they wish to do so.
jdsony wrote:I also thought it would blank out fields that were checked but have no information such as genre.
This is by design. I could force it to blank out any tags that are checked if the result is blank, but that seemed wrong to me. I think as I'm working on the method for where to save the country code, I'll give the user an option to overwrite with blank values if that's what is returned from the search.

Any other requests?

~One

PS - working on a modification of this script to use YahooMusic! as the source. Hopefully that will be done this weekend. Right behind it, I'm thinking about a couple of other sources for additional search scripts.
mistresso

Post by mistresso »

Multiple tag sources are all well and good, but imo one of the most important features still has to be the ability to selectively apply the tags. It can't just be an all-or-nothing operation.

Maybe in 20 years we'll have a single reliable source for artist/song information, but right now it's just a dream ... and for those of us with obscure tastes, we *really* need to get our data from multiple sources!

I wanted to point out that the GenreFinder script is also pulling down nationality/locale as a user-configurable option - though in this case handled by a whitelist. A lot of folks are putting this data under a custom field. It might become a future 'official' MP3 tag, but for now it's usually being stored on open source music databases as a "folksonomy" tag.
booblers

Post by booblers »

deleting my posts since forum moderators see fit to delete honest posts. just helping to make their job easier. nothing to see here.
Last edited by booblers on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onenonymous

Post by onenonymous »

booblers wrote:Something doesn't seem to be right with the checkboxes for certain tags. I just tagged an album with the checkbox for cover art off and it kept asking me if I wanted to overwrite folder.jpg (my default art file). In this particular case the box was left unchecked from the previous album I tagged.

I just did it again and I explicitly checked the box for album art and the unchecked it and then tried to tag. It still wants to add the cover art.

I've also run into a bug with an indexoutofbounds error when I change the seed song but I can't replicate it.
I've not seen any of these in any of my testing. Are you using the latest version of this script? Do the messages about overwrite folder.jpg occur with any other tagger scripts?
booblers

Post by booblers »

deleting my posts since forum moderators see fit to delete honest posts. just helping to make their job easier. nothing to see here.
onenonymous

Post by onenonymous »

the indexoutofbounds error is one I've seen before with other scripts - so I may be able to track down that one. The other issues, I don't know, so will have to do some sleuthing. I haven't upgraded to 3.1 yet - so conceivably that's part of the problem, but I just don't know. The AlbumArt issue was something I thought I'd fixed already - but I'll double-check again.

Can you try my other tagger script YahooMusicTagger and see if it throws any of the same errors? I built it off of the MusicBrainz script with some changes, so it would be instructive if that one works ok and this one doesn't.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=37476

Thanks for your patience.

~One
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Just pointing out what I've been using this script with 3.1.0.1225 and it works fine.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
booblers

Post by booblers »