Monkey Server 0.97 (2011-04-10) [MM3] w/Squeezebox Support

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

jednie

Re: Monkey Server Beta 0.91 (2009-08-28) [MM3]

Post by jednie »

Just JP wrote:First off let me say thank you very much for your work with Monkey server. It's something I've been waiting a long time for. Remote access in MM was a problem I just couldn't solve. Even though I have to admit it took a long time for me to get port 2233 visible from remote computers but now victory is mine. :lol:
I am glad that it is working out for you.
Just JP wrote: One thing that has been mentioned previously is the ability to use playlists from MM. As of now I can't use them but would very much like to.
I plan on adding playlists within the next month or two.
Just JP wrote: Another thing is the ability to, from a remote computer, be able to play one song after another the way MM does in the now playing list. Now if you send a track to an external player when a previous track is playing the new track will immediately start playing cutting off the first track.
I plan on adding an embedded player at some point which would solve this problem. Until then you could try dragging and dropping the "Play song" or "Play all" link onto your media player and it may queue up the songs instead of cutting off the currently playing song. This is how I queue songs in Winamp.

jednie
Just JP

Post by Just JP »

I'll be on the lookout for when you add playlists and an embedded player in future releases of Monkey Server. It will make your great program even better.

I never thought about dragging and dropping into the player. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks again.

Jim
MediaMan

Post by MediaMan »

Suggestion. As part of the Help files, three should be a detailed section/guide on how specifically to get remote access to work for Monkey Server, including some tips and common problems. Remote access is after all the number one product feature listed, and as per this thread, many users have difficulty getting it to work.

Based on my own experiences:

1) for the computers on my home LAN (I have 9 pc's , I can sucessfully remotely access the Moneky server from another machine , the but only on some machines and only when the server is running certain machines. The combinations that dont work are perhaps related to firewall exceptions, or browser settings, or XP vs Vista issues...although in all other cases. I can see all my machines from any other machine. After spending way too much time on this , I have given up for now. Where I cannot remotely access it, I use two workarounds. One is to run it locally and change settings to point to database on the remote machine ; the other workaround is to simply use VNC to the machine running the server.
2) for remote access from outside the LAN, ie from a computer on the internet, I cannot access Monkey Server at all ; I have port forwarding on, monkey server running and am using http://<publicIPaddress>:2233 . I can remotely connect to all my machines via services like LogMeIn.com, but cannot connect via the above URL.

So a detailed Help Section on this topic would be a plus!
Windows 7,8 | iTunes 11.2.2.3 | IOS 7.1.2 | MM Gold 4.1.3.1708 | d_itunes4.dll Ver 4.0.4.2438
jednie

Post by jednie »

MediaMan wrote:Suggestion. As part of the Help files, three should be a detailed section/guide on how specifically to get remote access to work for Monkey Server, including some tips and common problems. Remote access is after all the number one product feature listed, and as per this thread, many users have difficulty getting it to work.

Based on my own experiences:

1) for the computers on my home LAN (I have 9 pc's , I can sucessfully remotely access the Moneky server from another machine , the but only on some machines and only when the server is running certain machines. The combinations that dont work are perhaps related to firewall exceptions, or browser settings, or XP vs Vista issues...although in all other cases. I can see all my machines from any other machine. After spending way too much time on this , I have given up for now. Where I cannot remotely access it, I use two workarounds. One is to run it locally and change settings to point to database on the remote machine ; the other workaround is to simply use VNC to the machine running the server.
2) for remote access from outside the LAN, ie from a computer on the internet, I cannot access Monkey Server at all ; I have port forwarding on, monkey server running and am using http://<publicIPaddress>:2233 . I can remotely connect to all my machines via services like LogMeIn.com, but cannot connect via the above URL.

So a detailed Help Section on this topic would be a plus!
MediaMan,

I plan on putting a help file together when it is ready to move out of Beta and I will be certain to include a section on this. I am not an expert in this area so I can't make any promises that it will help with your problem.

jednie
MediaMan

Post by MediaMan »

jednie wrote:
MediaMan,

I plan on putting a help file together when it is ready to move out of Beta and I will be certain to include a section on this. I am not an expert in this area so I can't make any promises that it will help with your problem.

jednie
If you post a link to a draft , we can certainly try to help you refine it....
Windows 7,8 | iTunes 11.2.2.3 | IOS 7.1.2 | MM Gold 4.1.3.1708 | d_itunes4.dll Ver 4.0.4.2438
MediaMan

Post by MediaMan »

Below is what my port-forwatding screen looks like for my D-Link DIR-655 router.I currently have:
  • The check box is checked
  • Name = Monkey Server
  • IP Address = The local IP address of the PC runnning Monkey Server ( eg what ipconfig reports and what the drop down lests me select)
  • Schedule = Always
  • Inbound Filter = Allow All
  • TCP Ports to Open = 2233
  • UDP Ports to Open = <blank>
Is the UDP entry correct, or should it be set to 2233, or indeed to something else?

jednie

Post by jednie »

MediaMan wrote:Below is what my port-forwatding screen looks like for my D-Link DIR-655 router.I currently have:
  • The check box is checked
  • Name = Monkey Server
  • IP Address = The local IP address of the PC runnning Monkey Server ( eg what ipconfig reports and what the drop down lests me select)
  • Schedule = Always
  • Inbound Filter = Allow All
  • TCP Ports to Open = 2233
  • UDP Ports to Open = <blank>
Is the UDP entry correct, or should it be set to 2233, or indeed to something else?
MediaMan,

I have both TCP and UDP forwarded although I am not sure if it necessary to do this. Everything else looks fine to me. Have your tried disabling your Windows Firewall to see if it makes a difference?

jednie
RifRaf

Post by RifRaf »

mediaman, describe your server environment please, are you using at least windows xp pro without internet security software currently enabled etc? i get the feeling you may be trying to use vista basic or xp home as your server.

as for a detailed networking guide for every possible setup, thats why people still call technicians in thank goodness :)

i'd love to see more work done on features instead, am missing being able to select by moods and occasions, maybe in a future version, the different tag cloud ideas mentioned in other posts sound good as well.
jednie

Post by jednie »

RifRaf wrote:mediaman, describe your server environment please, are you using at least windows xp pro without internet security software currently enabled etc? i get the feeling you may be trying to use vista basic or xp home as your server.

as for a detailed networking guide for every possible setup, thats why people still call technicians in thank goodness :)

i'd love to see more work done on features instead, am missing being able to select by moods and occasions, maybe in a future version, the different tag cloud ideas mentioned in other posts sound good as well.
RifRaf,

I should have other type of clouds added within the next week or two. I want to make some under the hood changes first as this will make it easier to customize the interface in the future. I realize there is no way to please everyone with the interface but if I do it right it shouldn't be too difficult for someone to tweak it to their liking.

jednie
MediaMan

Post by MediaMan »

RifRaf wrote:mediaman, describe your server environment please, are you using at least windows xp pro without internet security software currently enabled etc? i get the feeling you may be trying to use vista basic or xp home as your server.
The System Requirements say Windows XP (SP2 or later) or Windows Vista. All my machines are just that - most are Windows XP Home SP3 and one machine is Vista Basic. I dont see where that is a potential issue. I use Windows Firewall with port 2233 open. I have a cable modem to a D-link DIR-655 router - all machines are hardwired.
RifRaf wrote:as for a detailed networking guide for every possible setup, thats why people still call technicians in thank goodness :)
Correct - didnt mean to imply a home networrking guide is needed. Just the basic steps re port forwarding, and openng ports etc - ie enough to get an EXISTING working home network to be MonkeyServer ready.
RifRaf wrote: i'd love to see more work done on features instead, am missing being able to select by moods and occasions, maybe in a future version, the different tag cloud ideas mentioned in other posts sound good as well.
Agree.
Last edited by MediaMan on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RifRaf

Post by RifRaf »

the issue is the xp home and vista basic do not make a server. if you would like to try on a xp pro or windows server machine i would be happy to try and help.

jendie, maybe upgrade your system requirements for users that want to access the server from more than 1 or 3 systems.
jednie

Post by jednie »

RifRaf wrote:the issue is the xp home and vista basic do not make a server. if you would like to try on a xp pro or windows server machine i would be happy to try and help.

jendie, maybe upgrade your system requirements for users that want to access the server from more than 1 or 3 systems.
I am running it on XP Home and it works fine across my local network and across the Internet. I have also tested it on a Vista Home Premium PC and it worked fine across my network although I haven't tested it across the Internet to this PC. I do have Windows Firewall disabled on both PCs.

jednie
jednie

Post by jednie »

jednie wrote:
RifRaf wrote:the issue is the xp home and vista basic do not make a server. if you would like to try on a xp pro or windows server machine i would be happy to try and help.

I am running it on XP Home and it works fine across my local network and across the Internet. I have also tested it on a Vista Home Premium PC and it worked fine across my network although I haven't tested it across the Internet to this PC. I do have Windows Firewall disabled on both PCs.

jednie
You may have to run the application with administrator privileges if you run it on a Vista PC.
RifRaf

Post by RifRaf »

jendie, i think you will find some issues if you try and establish connections from 9 pcs at the same time, there is a reason why there are home versions, pro versions and server versions, am glad its working for you but i can assure you you would not want to support windows home versions running server tasks in real network environments
jednie

Post by jednie »

RifRaf wrote:jendie, i think you will find some issues if you try and establish connections from 9 pcs at the same time, there is a reason why there are home versions, pro versions and server versions, am glad its working for you but i can assure you you would not want to support windows home versions running server tasks in real network environments
I understand the concept of home versions versus server versions as I have been in this business for a long time. Although this is a server-type application it is designed to work in a home environment.

jednie