Discogs Tagger 3.62 (Updated: 2013-02-09)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

huge

Re: Discogs Tagger 3.2 (Updated: 2011-07-08)

Post by huge »

bmcclure wrote:@Huge:

That could be related to a number of things. I don't receive this error so it's hard to tell from my end, but will try to provide a couple suggestions to hopefully assist. Apologies in advance if it's not helpful :)

1. Could there be a problem with your Discogs API key?
-Are you sure you copied it correctly? You could check the key listed inside the <AppData>\MediaMonkey\Scripts\DiscogsAutoTagWeb.vbs file to make sure it is exactly right.
-Has it worked for you before, and if so, when did it stop working? Was it after updating something?

2. Is it possible you could have an outdated version of MSXML on your machine?

I see this error occurring a lot with MSXML prior to version 6.0.

If you're not sure, you can check what current version of MSXML you have by using the following tool from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278674

There can be more than one XML parser installed (and reported by that tool), but make sure MSXML 6 is present.

Just to make sure, you could always try updating MSXML with the latest version from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... en&id=3988
@bmcclure: Thanks for the reply. My API key looks right - comparing what I see in the file you pointed me to and what I see online at the discogs website - they are the same.

The discogs tagger has never worked for me - I just installed it and started getting that error message.

When I try to check my MSXML version I get a message to "Please check that COMCT332.OCX exists in a standard path", and then "Due to a lack of dependancies, this OCX cannot run" ... so maybe that's an indication of something wrong - I'll try to investigate that.
bmcclure

Post by bmcclure »

It sounds like you might need to (re-)install the Visual Basic 6 runtime files.

This site has a great explanation (and download links) that will help you get the comctl332.ocx file in the right place, if that might be what is needed:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/vboledll.html
--
Ben
Let

Post by Let »

huge: you might want to try these:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p244135
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302820
http://ilab.forumotion.net/t158-2146697 ... has-failed

on the other hand, it might be related with your media files, have you tried tagging different files?
another option is to install it onto another computer to see if it works.
huge

Post by huge »

bmcclure wrote:It sounds like you might need to (re-)install the Visual Basic 6 runtime files.

This site has a great explanation (and download links) that will help you get the comctl332.ocx file in the right place, if that might be what is needed:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/vboledll.html
Thanks for the reply (again) ... VB6 runtime is supposed to be present in Windows 7 by default, and I'd be surprised if there were serious problems on my machine with the basic VB6 runtime installation. The angelfire link you gave me lists files from 1998 - I'm a little reluctant to download them and register them ... but I'll try it if I can't figure anything else out.

Is there some other piece of software that uses the Discogs API that I could try to see if it works from another platform?
huge

Post by huge »

Let wrote:huge: you might want to try these:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p244135
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302820
http://ilab.forumotion.net/t158-2146697 ... has-failed

on the other hand, it might be related with your media files, have you tried tagging different files?
another option is to install it onto another computer to see if it works.
@Let:

The first link you sent me is to an earlier post in this thread in which someone was getting the same error message. The replies to that post indicate that the problem involved running into the 5000 API request per day limit. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem I'm having.

The 2nd link is to a Microsoft KB article about no languages specified in Microsoft Internet Explorer ... I was pretty sure that wasn't my problem either, but I checked IE, and as I would expect, English-US is specified as the language.

The 3rd link points to a post about getting the same error message because Microsoft IE is set to "Work Offline". Again, I double-checked just to be sure, and IE is certainly not set to "Work Offline".

You asked about my media files - I have tried to Auto-Tag on several different files: mp3's and flac's, tracks that are not part of any "known" CD and tracks from popular CD's that should definitely be in any database, and tracks that have been tagged already and tracks that have not.

I did install Discogs Tagger on my (Windows 7) laptop, and after some trouble with the download website being blocked by Comodo as a phishing site, I was able to eventually get it installed, and it seems to work fine - it clearly connects to the server side and pulls back (correct) track info from Discogs ... so I know at least that my API key works correctly.

It really seems like Discogs Tagger is failing to communicate with the API for some reason. If you or anyone else can think of another way to debug this problem, let me know.

Thanks again for your efforts...
bmcclure

Post by bmcclure »

You're right, I didn't realize you were running Windows 7... probably not an issue with the VB6 runtime files. Perhaps the version checking application just isn't compatible with Windows 7.

I originally suggested here a link to reinstall MSXML 6.0, but I just realized that it was a bit outdated as well.

Here is a link to a far more relevant article, I think:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973686

This will help you determine the version(s) of MSXML installed, and provides a hotfix for an issue which may or may not be related to the one you're experiencing. For versions of MSXML that were included with Windows, Windows Update should already have done it (unless you're not using Windows Update, of course). But for versions of MSXML installed by you, or by another application, the service packs may not be installed.

I can't guarantee whether you need any of the service packs listed that are compatible with Windows 7, but I would highly recommend at least using the article to check your current versions, and if they are not all current, updating any of them which have updates.

I'll let you know if I can find anything else, however. Good luck!

ben
--
Ben
Let

Post by Let »

huge: let me know if you can get some xml with this url in Internet Explorer:

http://www.discogs.com/release/476013?f ... _key=<your api key>

replace <your api key> with your api key.

It seems like your computer has a specific problem and it works on other systems. If it's very important for you to make it work on this computer, you might consider formatting and making a clean install on it.
huge

Post by huge »

Let wrote:huge: let me know if you can get some xml with this url in Internet Explorer:

http://www.discogs.com/release/476013?f ... _key=<your api key>

replace <your api key> with your api key.

It seems like your computer has a specific problem and it works on other systems. If it's very important for you to make it work on this computer, you might consider formatting and making a clean install on it.
Substituting my API key in that URL in IE9 gets me: "HTTP 400 Bad Request" & "The webpage cannot be found".

In Firefox or Chrome it brings up a page, but: "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." ... followed by XML that looks like a successful discogs hit ... here's an excerpt:

<artists>
<artist>
<name>Silent Breed</name>
<anv/>
<join/>
<role/>
<tracks/>
</artist>
</artists>
<title>John Carpenter's The End : Assault On Precinct 13</title>
<labels>
<label catno="HH 0346" name="Hyper Hype"/>
</labels>

No idea why IE9 (which I *just* installed as part of running Windows Update to see if it might fix this problem) would fail to bring up anything, while FF and Chrome seem to be successfully sending the API key and retrieving info from Discogs, but with some problem with the XML formatting - maybe that last bit is why you told me to use IE?

Again ... is there any other software that interfaces with Discogs using the API key? It would be interesting to see if something else could succeed...

thanks for the pointer - maybe we're getting closer?

-huge
bmcclure

Post by bmcclure »

There is no problem in the XML formatting--that XML isn't designed to be read by humans, but rather processed as part of API tasks.

Firefox/Chrome seem to be working properly, and Internet Explorer seems to have some problem which is stopping MSXML from being able to retrieve a valid response.
--
Ben
huge

Post by huge »

bmcclure wrote:There is no problem in the XML formatting--that XML isn't designed to be read by humans, but rather processed as part of API tasks.

Firefox/Chrome seem to be working properly, and Internet Explorer seems to have some problem which is stopping MSXML from being able to retrieve a valid response.
Thanks ... that makes sense. So I certainly don't care about the problem with IE9 (since I almost never use IE), unless it corresponds to the problem with MM&DT. It seems like *something* (namely FF & Chrome browsers) is able to interact with the Discogs API successfully. And that makes me think that there's something going wrong on the client side of MediaMonkey and/or Discogs Tagger ... unless I'm missing something about the network or security settings on my computer that might somehow block MM/DT but allow FF/Chrome to communicate with the API. I've tried it with my firewall disabled - can anyone think of anything else that would be blocking that path? (Or, of course, anything else to try)

@Let - you specifically asked me to try that URL with Internet Explorer. Was there a reason you specified IE and not some other browser? And does DT somehow parallel IE (or use some of the same code, or something) in a way that would explain why IE9 and DT are failing to talk to the API whereas FF and Chrome are succeeding?

Thanks for all the help...
bmcclure

Post by bmcclure »

My assumption is that Windows applications by default would utilize MSXML, and likely the same technology which Internet Explorer uses, to request the data. In order to utilize the Chrome/Firefox method, apps would have to include those components which increases their size, since it's not guaranteed those browsers will already be installed. Therefore, most likely the same setting that is preventing Internet Explorer from accessing the Discogs API is also preventing MediaMonkey / the Discogs Auto Tagger from being able to access it.
--
Ben
bmcclure

Post by bmcclure »

Make sure that gzip support is working in Internet Explorer. If it's not, the Discogs API will return a 400 Bad Request error.

http://browserspy.dk/gzip.php

Open that URL in Internet Explorer and make sure the first result is "Yes"

If it is "No", check again to make sure there are no proxy settings configured, and try disabling all Antivirus software temporarily, as antivirus software can sometimes disable a browser's gzip functionality.

As another option, you can also try resetting Internet Explorer's settings completely to their defaults, which can clear up a lot of issues:

To reset Internet Explorer settings to the default setting, follow these steps:
Start Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
In the Internet Explorer Default Settings dialog box, click Reset.
In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
When the settings have been reset, click Close, and then click OK to restart Internet Explorer.
Last edited by bmcclure on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Ben
huge

Post by huge »

bmcclure wrote:Make sure that gzip support is working in Internet Explorer. If it's not, the Discogs API will return a 400 Bad Request error.

http://browserspy.dk/gzip.php

Open that URL in Internet Explorer and make sure the first result is "Yes"

If it is "No", check again to make sure there are no proxy settings configured, and try disabling all Antivirus software temporarily, as antivirus software can sometimes disable a browser's gzip functionality.
Ding ding ding ... IE says NO (and of course Firefox says yes):

Browser says that it has GZip support? No or not detected!

Browser supports GZipped JavaScript? No or unable to detect...

Browser supports GZipped CSS? No

I'll investigate per your suggestions. Thanks.
bmcclure

Post by bmcclure »

Apart from the instructions I added in my last post for resetting the IE settings, you could check this first:

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools - Internet Options. On the Advanced tab of the Internet Options dialog box, make sure that HTTP 1.1 is checked (enabled).

If that's already enabled, you MIGHT want to try a full IE reset as per my last post--that is, unless you discover that it is proxy or antivirus settings causing the problem :)
--
Ben
huge

Post by huge »

bmcclure wrote:Apart from the instructions I added in my last post for resetting the IE settings, you could check this first:

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools - Internet Options. On the Advanced tab of the Internet Options dialog box, make sure that HTTP 1.1 is checked (enabled).

If that's already enabled, you MIGHT want to try a full IE reset as per my last post--that is, unless you discover that it is proxy or antivirus settings causing the problem :)
That was it! HTTP 1.1 was not enabled. Checking it caused GZip support test to return YES, and after closing and restarting MM, Discogs Tagger now works.

Thanks so much for sticking with me in tracking this down...