MediaMonkey iTunes plugin (d_itunes4.dll)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

KensMonkey

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by KensMonkey »

markstuartwalker wrote:I don't think that MM can convert to AAC or M4A is standard form. Stick with MP3.
Have been messing around with the 30 day trial version of the AAC Encoder Plugin which seems to work (apart from issues with tags which I have yet to fully resolve). Because I could get this to convert through vanilla MM I tried to use it in the Auto-Conversion tab of the iTune Device Profile (FLAC to AAC) but this appears to convert each track to MP3 and dump it to the cache folder which is where it stays. Only wanted to go AAC 'cos I understand you get the same quality for less space than MP3. The size of the saving appears to be variable and having spent considerable time getting to the point where I can now listen to my music rather than trying to get it it organised, I shall take your advise. I will wipe my iTines folders, set up a comprehensive playlist, click 'Auto-Synchronize' and go enjoy.

Thanks again for taking your time to respond to my various messages.

Ken
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

markstuartwalker wrote:Beware iOS4 users!

iOS4 brings in the ability to create playlists but also to modify existing ones. Playlists modified in this way are re-sync'd back to iTunes.

Note that this plugin was never designed to bi-directionally handle playlist synchronisation. The design premise is that MM holds the master copy of tracks, ID3Tags and playlists. This means that any changes to iPhone or iTunes playlists will be reverted upon the next sync from MM.

Mark
Thanks for the great plugin, it works wonderfully and I'm very happy that I can sync my iPhone with this!

I'm just wondering if it is possible to add an option to bi-directionally sync playlists - e.g., if I am listening on iTunes and I modify a playlist, can there be an option for the playlist to be updated in MediaMonkey? Thanks!
markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker »

Unforunately this can't be done. Neither MM nor iTunes have a last updated date on the playlists. I can and do detect playlist differerences but without the date I cannot tell which side has changed last.

Sorry,
mark
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Could you store a "last synched" copy of the playlist - then you'd be able to compare this to both of them and if one matches and the other doesn't, then you know the one that doesn't is the one that has changed? Obviously if they have both changed then there's not a lot you could do, although if you compare them both to the original, maybe you could then merge the changes? That would be much more complicated though.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
markstuartwalker

Yes, I did consider this. I wrote some routines to build lists of track ids and compare. I never persisted the information as I've never created tables myself.

It wasn't very performant. I abandoned it though I have since wondered about hash encoding the lists and storing the hash code which would be more compact and faster
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507
markstuartwalker

New version http://www.mediafire.com/file/o45e2d91d ... iTunes.dll

This is a minor revision. Main significance was the pop-up help on the configuration page which should help users make better use of the plugins features.

6/8/2010
* CreateFolderInFolder and CreatePlaylistInFolder use pointers internally to become less dependent upon playlist names
* Bug fix for building folders with no <MM> folder specified
9/8/2010
* Better error trapping of null pointers when reading corrupt iTunes databases
13/8/2010
* PlaylistUnit reinstated for playlist comparison (Hashes evaluated and logged)
* Hints added on the configuration page
* Log.exceptionQuiet() added
Wargazm

Post by Wargazm »

I have a question: how are timestamps for files affected when using this plugin?

Here's the reason I ask: I synchronize my music to my home server as a form of backup, but it seems like a LOT of files that I haven't (purposefully) touched in a long time are being written to the server because their timestamps are different. I think that the files that have changed timestamps are the ones that I sync to iTunes, but I haven't been dilligent about verifying that.

Thanks!
markstuartwalker

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by backup.

There can be issues using network shares and time stamps. Make sure all the machines are time syncd. Further, there are differences in the way iTunes and MM handle some of the id3tag information which can cause iTunes to write back slightly modified information to the mp3 files.

I suggest that you do a carefully controlled experiential to understand in case there is something bad happening that you're not currently aware of.
Wargazm

Post by Wargazm »

ok, I will do an experiment and get back to you.
Zeeno

Post by Zeeno »

Wargazm wrote:I have a question: how are timestamps for files affected when using this plugin?

Here's the reason I ask: I synchronize my music to my home server as a form of backup, but it seems like a LOT of files that I haven't (purposefully) touched in a long time are being written to the server because their timestamps are different. I think that the files that have changed timestamps are the ones that I sync to iTunes, but I haven't been dilligent about verifying that.

Thanks!
Wargazm,

I went through the same experiments a few months ago when I switched to using Mark's plugin full time so maybe I can save you some time. iTunes will update the modified date on any mp3 that you sync using the plugin to the current date/time, but only the first time it is synced and imported into the iTunes library. Once it's part of the iTunes library, syncing back and forth between MM and iTunes won't change the modified date even if you make tag or art changes in MM. I tried setting the files to read-only, etc. to prevent iTunes from changing the dates upon import, but I couldn't get it to work. I found the easiest way is to make a backup of your entire music library, sync your tracks using the plugin (iTunes will mess up all the modified dates), now overwrite any file that iTunes changed with the backup copies that have the correct, original date. Now all your files will be in the iTunes library and they will all have the correct, original modified dates and you can sync back and forth as much as you want.

It takes some patience and you have to be very careful that you keep your backup untouched, but you really only need to do this once. Once all your files are in the iTunes library, you don't need to do this again unless you somehow lose the iTunes library. Also remember that anytime you add a file to the plugin's autosync list that isn't already in iTunes, iTunes will change the date since it's the first import so make a backup before you do the sync so you can overwrite it later. I'd recommend only doing tag changes in MM though since you can set it to not change the timestamps when doing tag changes. If you make changes to the files while in iTunes, it will most likely change the timestamp.

Basically just always keep a backup copy with the correct timestamp that you can use to overwrite and NEVER make changes to the files while in iTunes and you should be good.

-Hope that helps
-Ben
markstuartwalker

Yes, the wonders of iTunes.

A better way is to use a cache folder so iTunes can't touch the originals. This takes twice the disk though. Put the the folder path in Device Configuration and resync. I use this alot to create a separate copy on my laptop so that I can take it away from the house. I also re-sample to 160kbps to reduce the size so that it all fits on my phone.

All 3 copies can play and re-rate the tracks and all sync back to the MM master copy.
Wargazm

Post by Wargazm »

thanks so much for the advice!
tzj

Post by tzj »

Problems with iTunes 10 or is it safe?
ZeusII

Post by ZeusII »

tzj wrote:Problems with iTunes 10 or is it safe?
just updated. same **** with nicer assets xD

didn't broke mediamonkey sync, so update is safe.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I too didn't have any problems with it but I only sync from MM to iTunes, and I do not have any of the ipod devices.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files