MediaMonkey iTunes plugin (d_itunes4.dll)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Zeeno
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by Zeeno » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the great plugin. I just upgraded to iOS 4 and wanted to make use of nested playlists on my iPhone, but I can't seem to figure it out. How do I get my nested playlists in MediaMonkey to sync and create folders in iTunes? Right now in MediaMonkey, I have playlists inside of playlists (e.g. Artists -> Bob), but I never saw any way to create folders for playlists in MM, just 'New Playlist' and 'New AutoPlaylist'. When I try to sync a top level playlists (e.g. Favorite Artists) that has a bunch of playlists within, I don't see it in iTunes. 'Favorite Artists' has no music in it though. I just use it as a container for the respective artist playlists I've made.

I have the plugin set to Build Folders and have nothing under iTunes MM folder name (i.e. root) in Device Configuration.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there now a way to create playlist folders in MM instead of just nesting them?

-Thanks
-Ben

KensMonkey
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by KensMonkey » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:26 am

frankz wrote:If the sync worked, you'd see the items in your actual iTunes library as well as in MM (under the iTunes device tree view).
Hi Frankz,

Appreciate the response. Problem is that somewhere I have got the plugin configured wrong and I just can't find the source of the problem. If I use the MM inbuilt move/convert routine (Tools/Convert Audio Format) I have no problem, I can copy as many tracks as I like (and convert them from FLAC to MP3/M4A) to my iTunes library and these tracks are visible in MM under the iTunes device tree view. The problem with this method is that I have to remember what is in which library (I don't want my 6000 track main MM library copied across to iTunes) and I thought that the benefit of synchronization is that I could set up some simple rules which ensured that when I added more tracks to a particular subset of my main MM library, autosync to iTunes would bring that up to date also.

Just one interesting observation. As I said earlier, I don't fully understand the mechanisms involved in conversion/synchronization but I did notice that the inbuilt move/convert routine (Tools/Convert Audio Format) doesn't write to the Temporary Directory (which is what I used for the Cache Path in the iTunes device plugin) but appears to convert/write straight to the iTunes folder. I assume that the intermediate step with the plugin has a purpose but not certain what that is. Maybe it is this intermediate step which is causing my problems?

Ken

frankz
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:53 am

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by frankz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:54 am

KensMonkey wrote:
frankz wrote:If the sync worked, you'd see the items in your actual iTunes library as well as in MM (under the iTunes device tree view).
Hi Frankz,

Appreciate the response. Problem is that somewhere I have got the plugin configured wrong and I just can't find the source of the problem. If I use the MM inbuilt move/convert routine (Tools/Convert Audio Format) I have no problem, I can copy as many tracks as I like (and convert them from FLAC to MP3/M4A) to my iTunes library and these tracks are visible in MM under the iTunes device tree view. The problem with this method is that I have to remember what is in which library (I don't want my 6000 track main MM library copied across to iTunes) and I thought that the benefit of synchronization is that I could set up some simple rules which ensured that when I added more tracks to a particular subset of my main MM library, autosync to iTunes would bring that up to date also.
In MM, if you right click the "iTunes" device and then select "Configure Device," you should be on the "Auto-Sync List" tab. From there, you can select / deselect the portions of your library that you want sync'd to iTunes. I have only certain playlists that I sync from the "Playlist" sub-tab, but on the "Music" sub-tab you can select only certain locations, albums, artists, etc. Is this where it's going wrong?

Also, I think you said earlier you had "Auto-Synchronize" selected up at the "Send To Portable Device" button, but that's worth double checking because I think that's the only way it's going to work properly.

markstuartwalker
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by markstuartwalker » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:23 pm

@Ben

In MM playlists can contain other playlists ie just like a folder. To try it
1. New playlist call it A
2. Select A and do New playlist call it B
3. Select A and do New playlist call it C

B and C should be nested inside A.

You can drag and drop playlists between playlists too.

With the Build Folders option the playlist sstructure will be replicated into iTunes. With ios4 it will replicate to the phone too.

Mark
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507

markstuartwalker
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by markstuartwalker » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:30 pm

@arbee

What regional settings have you got?

Mark
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507

Zeeno
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by Zeeno » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:02 pm

markstuartwalker wrote:@Ben

In MM playlists can contain other playlists ie just like a folder. To try it
1. New playlist call it A
2. Select A and do New playlist call it B
3. Select A and do New playlist call it C

B and C should be nested inside A.

You can drag and drop playlists between playlists too.

With the Build Folders option the playlist sstructure will be replicated into iTunes. With ios4 it will replicate to the phone too.

Mark
Mark,

Thanks for replying. Ok, that's how I have all my playlists set up. I have two MM "folders": Artists Favorites & Folder Favorites (both with a bunch of subplaylists) and then I have a few playlists not in any folder (e.g. New Songs), just sitting under MM's playlist tree. I'm still having trouble getting MM's playlist structure replicated into the ROOT of iTunes (no MM folder).

This is what I've found...

Ignore folders/No iTunes MM folder name (i.e. root) = Works flawlessly everytime. All my playlists are synced.
Flatten folders/No iTunes MM folder name (i.e. root) = Same as above
Build folders/WITH an iTunes MM folder name (e.g. MediaMonkey) = Again works flawlessly.

Build folders/No iTunes MM folder name (i.e. root) = This is where I run into problems. The folders are created, but only some playlists sync over, while others refuse to. Also, the playlists that aren't in any MM folder never move over to iTunes no matter what I do.

Any ideas? I've installed DebugViewer if that can help.

-Thanks
-Ben

markstuartwalker
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by markstuartwalker » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:38 am

@Zeeno:

There is a weakness in the iTunes interface that I use in that playlists are only referenced by name, thus moving or renaming playlists strange behaviours occur.

When you switch between the different types of folder translation (Build, Flatten etc) it is important to remove any playlists within iTunes before the next sync. Try this and let me know the answer.

Mark
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507

markstuartwalker
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by markstuartwalker » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:49 am

New version http://www.mediafire.com/file/bu2o0tshh ... iTunes.dll

27/7/2010
* Debug facility to create additional reusable (zzz) playlists
* zzz reusable tracks are assigned a single track so that they appear in the syncable lists ?????
4/8/2010
* iTunesDone() calls UpdateDeviceState(false) to closedown more elegantly
* Error traps added at ALL of the topmost level of device calls
* All exceptions are logged by default (not dependent on logging levels)
* iTunes Exit triggered after TrackCache is cleared so has no dependent pointers
6/8/2010
* CreateFolderInFolder and CreatePlaylistInFolder use pointers internally to become less dependent upon playlist names
* Bug fix for building folders with no <MM> folder
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507

KensMonkey
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by KensMonkey » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:31 am

frankz wrote: In MM, if you right click the "iTunes" device and then select "Configure Device," you should be on the "Auto-Sync List" tab. From there, you can select / deselect the portions of your library that you want sync'd to iTunes. I have only certain playlists that I sync from the "Playlist" sub-tab, but on the "Music" sub-tab you can select only certain locations, albums, artists, etc. Is this where it's going wrong?

Also, I think you said earlier you had "Auto-Synchronize" selected up at the "Send To Portable Device" button, but that's worth double checking because I think that's the only way it's going to work properly.
Thanks for your time - best that I can see, the dialog box that comes when right clicking the "iTunes" device and then selecting "Configure Device," is the same as that under the "Send To Portable Device". I have the options on that latter button set to "Auto-Synchronize" but I still get nothing moving across into my cache file.

Another aside - although I mentioned in my previous post that I can use copy/convert directly into my iTunes folder, I found that this was not copying the tags consistently and that the only way to ensure that all of the information was transferred was to do it album at a time and use an intermediate folder for checking before writing the converted files into iTunes. Maybe there is some issue that requires this intermediate step although it is not clear what this might be.

Anyway, the problems of copying track/album through an intermediate folder has spurred me on to get this plugin working properly although I really have not progressed any further from where I was on my first post. I will install the new version which Mark has uploaded this morning and see if the error messages give me any better clue as to where I am going wrong.

Ken

Zeeno
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by Zeeno » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:45 am

markstuartwalker wrote:@Zeeno:

There is a weakness in the iTunes interface that I use in that playlists are only referenced by name, thus moving or renaming playlists strange behaviours occur.

When you switch between the different types of folder translation (Build, Flatten etc) it is important to remove any playlists within iTunes before the next sync. Try this and let me know the answer.

Mark
Mark,

As I was posting to tell you that it still wasn't working after clearing all the playlists, I decided to try out the new version of the plugin you just posted and now it works perfectly. All the playlists in folders and even those that aren't synced straight into the root of the iTunes playlist section. I don't know if you changed something in the new plugin or maybe I just needed a new copy, but thanks!

The only thing I noticed is that if your MM playlist "folder" has some music in it in addition to nested playlists, iTunes will just turn the MM "folder" into a playlist and ignore its nested playlists. I think this is iTunes fault because iTunes folders can only hold playlists, not their own music tracks. When you click on folders in iTunes, they just display all the combined tracks of the playlist within. No big deal, I just removed the music from the MM "folder" and gave it its own playlist and now problem solved.

-Thanks for your help
-Ben

markstuartwalker
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by markstuartwalker » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:32 am

KensMonkey wrote:
frankz wrote: In MM, if you right click the "iTunes" device and then select "Configure Device," you should be on the "Auto-Sync List" tab. From there, you can select / deselect the portions of your library that you want sync'd to iTunes. I have only certain playlists that I sync from the "Playlist" sub-tab, but on the "Music" sub-tab you can select only certain locations, albums, artists, etc. Is this where it's going wrong?

Also, I think you said earlier you had "Auto-Synchronize" selected up at the "Send To Portable Device" button, but that's worth double checking because I think that's the only way it's going to work properly.
Thanks for your time - best that I can see, the dialog box that comes when right clicking the "iTunes" device and then selecting "Configure Device," is the same as that under the "Send To Portable Device". I have the options on that latter button set to "Auto-Synchronize" but I still get nothing moving across into my cache file.

Another aside - although I mentioned in my previous post that I can use copy/convert directly into my iTunes folder, I found that this was not copying the tags consistently and that the only way to ensure that all of the information was transferred was to do it album at a time and use an intermediate folder for checking before writing the converted files into iTunes. Maybe there is some issue that requires this intermediate step although it is not clear what this might be.

Anyway, the problems of copying track/album through an intermediate folder has spurred me on to get this plugin working properly although I really have not progressed any further from where I was on my first post. I will install the new version which Mark has uploaded this morning and see if the error messages give me any better clue as to where I am going wrong.

Ken
Right clicking some selected tracks and "Send to ...". This is (supposed) to be an adhoc way of pushing files to your device. I've recently tested it here and I now can confirm that it doesn't work.

Left clicking the iTunes icon in the smart buttons or Right clicking the iTunes icon in the tree view and selecting "Auto Sync". These trigger a synchronisation which follows the Auto-Sync list of Music/Playlist/etc which Franz detailed above.

I use the latter exclusively. I like to be able to define lists of lots of playlists and then synchronise all together. This is because many of my playlists are Auto playlists whose content changes as I update Genre/Rating and playcounts etc etc.

The new version has some 'catch-all' error traps that hopefully will give more diagnostics so that I can work out what is going on.

Mark
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507

KensMonkey
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by KensMonkey » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:54 am

markstuartwalker wrote:
Right clicking some selected tracks and "Send to ...". This is (supposed) to be an adhoc way of pushing files to your device. I've recently tested it here and I now can confirm that it doesn't work.

Left clicking the iTunes icon in the smart buttons or Right clicking the iTunes icon in the tree view and selecting "Auto Sync". These trigger a synchronisation which follows the Auto-Sync list of Music/Playlist/etc which Franz detailed above.

I use the latter exclusively. I like to be able to define lists of lots of playlists and then synchronise all together. This is because many of my playlists are Auto playlists whose content changes as I update Genre/Rating and playcounts etc etc.

The new version has some 'catch-all' error traps that hopefully will give more diagnostics so that I can work out what is going on.

Mark
Hi Mark - well the new plugin has certainly done something - I now get two iTunes icons on the tree and MM does not appear willing to remove either of them. In addition I get a couple of exceptions in the log file:

Code: Select all

[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 Log initialised
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 Read configuration \Software\MediaMonkey\Device\iTunes\
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 Open registry
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 Open registry done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 Read values \Software\MediaMonkey\Device\iTunes\
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 Read values done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 Close registry
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 Close registry done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 Read configuration done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 Debug Level set 2
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 ItunesInit 07/08/2010 10:32:30
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 RegItunes Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\iTunes\
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 RegItunes done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:03 Launch iTunes Automatically
[7284] iTunes Plugin 13:45:11 EXCEPTION AppViaCOM (CoiTunesApp.Create) EOleSysError Server execution failed, ClassID: {DC0C2640-1415-4644-875C-6F4D769839BA}
[7284] iTunes Plugin 13:45:11 EXCEPTION AppExit EAccessViolation Access violation at address 08591486 in module 'd_itunes.dll'. Read of address 00000000
[7284] iTunes Plugin 13:45:11 ItunesDone done
[7284] iTunes Plugin 13:45:11 Log terminated
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Launch iTunes Automatically done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Check process exists iTunes.exe
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Check process exists done iTunes.exe
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Minimize iTunes
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Minimize iTunes done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Itunes installed
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Itunes launched
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 UpdateDeviceState -1 0
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Starting device
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 got DeviceCaption iTunes
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 DeviceStart
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Starting device done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 got DeviceHandle and ID 59194032 10
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 CreateDeviceNode 59194032
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 UpdateDeviceState done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 ItunesInit done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Log initialised
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Read configuration \Software\MediaMonkey\Device\iTunes\
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Open registry
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Open registry done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Read values \Software\MediaMonkey\Device\iTunes\
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Read values done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Close registry
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Close registry done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Read configuration done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Debug Level set 2
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 ItunesInit 31/07/2010 13:41:38
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 RegItunes Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\iTunes\
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 RegItunes done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Launch iTunes Automatically
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Launch iTunes Automatically done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Check process exists iTunes.exe
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Check process exists done iTunes.exe
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Minimize iTunes
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Minimize iTunes done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Itunes installed
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Itunes launched
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 UpdateDeviceState -1 0
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Starting device
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 got DeviceCaption iTunes
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 DeviceStart
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 Starting device done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 got DeviceHandle and ID 59194176 10
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 CreateDeviceNode 59194176
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 UpdateDeviceState done
[5132] iTunes Plugin 13:45:13 ItunesInit done


As usual, any help would be much appreciated.

Ken

ps - nice to know that my experience with the 'Send to ...' feature is not something else I've got wrong - appreciate you looking into this.

markstuartwalker
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by markstuartwalker » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:26 am

@Ken:

You shouldn't have 2 icons. Please check your c:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Plugins folder and confirm that there is only one d_itunes.dll file.

Mark
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507

KensMonkey
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by KensMonkey » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:54 pm

markstuartwalker wrote:You shouldn't have 2 icons. Please check your c:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Plugins folder and confirm that there is only one d_itunes.dll file.
Apologies Mark - my fault. When I downloaded the new version this morning got a nasty warning from Norton saying this .dll should not be trusted. I guess this was 'cos very few downloads had been detected. I thought that if there was an issue with the updated version I would keep the old. So I just renamed it as d_itunes_old.dll instead of d_itunes.old completely forgetting that by leaving it as a dll in the MM Plugins directory it would still be picked up!

Having cleaned that little problem up I tried an autosync (just one album) with the new version - AND IT WORKED! Great stuff. There is still one fly in the ointment in that it seems I can only autosync with conversion to MP3 rather than AAC/M4A so if you have any thoughts on what the problem might be here would appreciate it. Otherwise I think I will just clear out my iTunes library and start all again with MP3 (there's only about 10 albums worth of music).

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Ken

markstuartwalker
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes device plugin (d_itunes.dll)

Post by markstuartwalker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:49 pm

KensMonkey wrote:
markstuartwalker wrote:You shouldn't have 2 icons. Please check your c:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Plugins folder and confirm that there is only one d_itunes.dll file.
Apologies Mark - my fault. When I downloaded the new version this morning got a nasty warning from Norton saying this .dll should not be trusted. I guess this was 'cos very few downloads had been detected. I thought that if there was an issue with the updated version I would keep the old. So I just renamed it as d_itunes_old.dll instead of d_itunes.old completely forgetting that by leaving it as a dll in the MM Plugins directory it would still be picked up!

Having cleaned that little problem up I tried an autosync (just one album) with the new version - AND IT WORKED! Great stuff. There is still one fly in the ointment in that it seems I can only autosync with conversion to MP3 rather than AAC/M4A so if you have any thoughts on what the problem might be here would appreciate it. Otherwise I think I will just clear out my iTunes library and start all again with MP3 (there's only about 10 albums worth of music).

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Ken
I don't think that MM can convert to AAC or M4A is standard form. Stick with MP3.
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507

Post Reply