PUID Generator 2.5 - Updated 28/07/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

trixmoto

Re: PUID Generator 2.1 - Updated 09/03/2010

Post by trixmoto »

Well it's the same as any program that affects your tags, including MM, there is always a risk. However, I have run this script on over a thousand mp3 files and not had any problems yet, nor do I realistically expect to have any. I think that's just an overly paranoid way of warning that your tags are being modified.

I was trying to avoid having an options sheet and I don't want to add another popup before running really, but I will make this optional in the next version somehow.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

trixmoto wrote:I was trying to avoid having an options sheet and I don't want to add another popup before running really, but I will make this optional in the next version somehow.
Go Old School. Option without an option sheet. You can even set default to Off for the truly paranoid, err, concerned. :)
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. (Ambrose Bierce)
I drink therefore I am. (Monty Python)
Vista 32bit Home Premium SP2 / MM3.2.1.1297 Gold / Last.Fm 1.0.2.22 / IE8
Dell Inspiron 530 (1.8 Core2 / 2GB)
Skin: Vitreous Blue
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Haha, if I can't come up with anything inventive than that may well be how I do it! :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

If you are doing that, it would be worthwhile to explicitly exclude .M4A & .M4B (ie. AAC files) from archiving.
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I don't have any of those so I didn't realise, I'll add this too.
AWD_Guy

Post by AWD_Guy »

This script is great, and I admit to already asking for it over in the Duplicate Report thread a while back, but...

I wish any one of the duplicate finder reporter or whatever scripts/extensions would use PUID. :)

Maybe I'll go beg in the ADFF thread as well. ;)
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

AWD_Guy wrote:This script is great, and I admit to already asking for it over in the Duplicate Report thread a while back, but...

I wish any one of the duplicate finder reporter or whatever scripts/extensions would use PUID. :)

Maybe I'll go beg in the ADFF thread as well. ;)
ADFF/CDS handles this just fine right now.
e.g. I store PUID in Custom5 & have my primary preset set to Custom5, Exclude Unknown.
AWD_Guy

Post by AWD_Guy »

Owyn wrote:
AWD_Guy wrote:I wish any one of the duplicate finder reporter or whatever scripts/extensions would use PUID. :)
ADFF/CDS handles this just fine right now.
Thanks Owyn, I found your postover in that thread and am almost done with the first step of scanning my library with MusicIP. Hopefully the rest works as easily.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Be prepared for a long wait. The directory scan is fast, but the initial analysis can be time consuming.

You also must make sure that you archive your analysis in MusicIP before proceeding with Trix's script.
In MusicIP:
- Wait for tracks to analyze to go to 0.
- If the process seems to stall, then use Library->Start Analysis to restart the process.
- When all processes are complete then
--Ctrl-A select all tracks in Watch List and
--Right Click, Archive Analysis
- When the archive is complete then File->Exit from MusicIP

You will be in for another relatively long period in this script. On my system, pre-analyzed tracks process at about 25/minute to get PUIDs.

I use an Auto-Playlist to select just the tracks I want PUIDs for, e.g. I don't need or want them for Podcast episodes.

PS: Using MusicIp is not actually necessary unless you also want to use it's Mix function. This script can work independently of MusicIP.

PPS: My personal process has changed. I now tend to do relatively small batches in MM (e.g. for new Rips) and archive analysis in MM. The latest version of the script does this automatically. I then catch up in MusicIp using the analysis from MM.

Hope that's confusing enough. 8)
booblers

Post by booblers »

deleting my posts since forum moderators see fit to delete honest posts. just helping to make their job easier. nothing to see here.
Last edited by booblers on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Unfortunately it seems to lock some parts of the UI whilst the actually analysis is happening, I'm trying to fix this but so far I've found no solution. It's already running in the background so I'm a bit baffled as to why it's even happening.
trixmoto

Re: PUID Generator 2.2 - Updated 29/03/2010

Post by trixmoto »

New version (2.2) is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Added flag to control whether analysis is archived
- Fixed AAC files should not have analysis archived

The flag is a variable at the top of the script and by default it is set to "True".
VikingO

Post by VikingO »

Here are some of the things I still fail to understand;

1. Are PUID by definition a standard? (meaning; when MusicIP, MusicBrainz, GraceNote and others talks about PUIDs, do they all mean the same thing – exactly!?)
2. In the Forum, you mention that I can choose which field to store PUIDs into. How can PUID’ be useful unless various scripts and applications knows where to find them?
3. Can the actual PUID in an MP3 file be visually seen (i.e. using MM)?
4. How can I determine if an MP3 file actually has been analyzed and do have a PUID stored somewhere, or not?
5. Can your script calculate and store the PUID without changing anything else in the ID3 tag?
6. Do the script actually need to have online access to MusicIP while running? (even if I do not wish to retrieve any metadata from an external source into my collection).

I appreciate anyone's reply.
Rgds
Viking
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

1) Yes, it's a standard.
2) Unfortunately we cannot access the "standard" PUID tag in MM yet, but I've been told this will be available in MM4.x so I'll add this option to the script then.
3) If it's stored in an MM field yes, if it's stored in the "standard" PUID tag then not until MM4.x.
4) You'd need to check the tag - another editor should be able to show you all tags including ones which MM currently can't.
5) Yes, it only changes the tag which can mean just changing your library and not the file, depending on your settings.
6) I don't think internet access is needed as the calculation is done by an application, but I've never tested it myself.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

6) I don't think internet access is needed as the calculation is done by an application, but I've never tested it myself.
Internet access is not required to analyze the files, however, the analysis may take more time to complete. There are some shortcuts available to Genpuid/mipcore3 which can reduce analysis time if the MusicDNS service is available.

Internet access is required to retrieve a PUID from the MusicDNS servers.