PUID Generator 2.5 - Updated 28/07/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

thefaceman
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:43 pm

Re: PUID Generator 2.5 - Updated 28/07/2012

Post by thefaceman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:49 am

Lowlander wrote:A) It is probably best to use one of the custom fields to store PUID
B) MusicIP should be set to use the same field
C) I don't think that MusicIP still works due to the source changing the site (I believe API is no longer existent).

I keep feeling like I am missing something (but i am learning I promise)

A) I am not using Custom1 when I use PUID Generator to create the PUID ID.
B) I am not sure how to 'set MusicIP to use that field though' (although I have the following checkboxes (and only those)
checked in the Settings button window
- Store PUID in (Custom1 field selected)
- Update track title (checked)
- Update track artist (checked)
- Use existing PUID (checked)
C) I think you meant that MusicTagger does not work

Maybe I am not understanding the PUID concept - but I will state what I THINK I know

1. I have an mp3 file that I do not have ANY information about (no artist - no title - no album, etc)
2. I run the PUID Generator and store it in the Custom1 field (note: sometimes it generates a 'pending' statement which I do not know what that means)
3. Then I select that file in MM and run the Auto from Web option
4. I select the MusicIP option
5. I then (DO SOMETHING) that will list a matching Artist - Title value that will help me know what the artist - title of the file is and I can auto-tag with whatever information I prefer.

Thanks for your patience and helping clear up where I am going wrong

MMuser2011
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Central Europe

Re: PUID Generator 2.5 - Updated 28/07/2012

Post by MMuser2011 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:59 am

Just my 2cents:

You have to find a web source where the generated PUID can be searched and the result can be presented to you.
The bad thing: I don't know such a source!

Even MusicBrainz has switched to another fingerprinting system called AcoustID. The process is the same:
- Generate a hash-like code for the track
- Search a web source for this hash code
- If a result is found, present the metadata (to let you decide if it is REALLY the right data for this track...)

Maybe you should have a look a the following topics:
- MusicBrainz (in this forum something like http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64124)
- AcoustID
Magic Nodes v4.2 (2011-07-01) SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.3 (2011-07-06)

thefaceman
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:43 pm

Re: PUID Generator 2.5 - Updated 28/07/2012

Post by thefaceman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:14 pm

MMuser2011 wrote:Just my 2cents:

You have to find a web source where the generated PUID can be searched and the result can be presented to you.
The bad thing: I don't know such a source!

Even MusicBrainz has switched to another fingerprinting system called AcoustID. The process is the same:
- Generate a hash-like code for the track
- Search a web source for this hash code
- If a result is found, present the metadata (to let you decide if it is REALLY the right data for this track...)

Maybe you should have a look a the following topics:
- MusicBrainz (in this forum something like http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64124)
- AcoustID
MMUser2011 has some interesting suggestions but does anyone know the answers to his questions for me (or us).

1. Is there a source that can search the generated PUID
2. Is MusicBrainz working with MM? The script I installed has a 'broken icon' so I do not trust it is working and previous thread comments have suggested MusicBrainz is not supported in MM anymore.
3. Is my assumption about the PUID process correct?

Is there a BETTER way to help ID my 'unknown artist - title' songs? Is the Acoustic method better?

Lowlander
Posts: 44737
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: PUID Generator 2.5 - Updated 28/07/2012

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:20 pm

I think only the MusicIP addon can use the PUID and it is not working (to my knowledge).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

thefaceman
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:43 pm

Re: PUID Generator 2.5 - Updated 28/07/2012

Post by thefaceman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:34 am

Lowlander wrote:I think only the MusicIP addon can use the PUID and it is not working (to my knowledge).
So it seems that all of these Addon Scripts are not 'useful' as there is no 'process' in place that will resolve the issue of
How to ID my 'Unknown' tracks.

I will awaiting any further developments or scripts or advice that will allow me to file who is the Artist and Title for my 300 + MP3 files that I never correctly labeled when I saved them :-?

MMuser2011
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Central Europe

Re: PUID Generator 2.5 - Updated 28/07/2012

Post by MMuser2011 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:48 am

thefaceman wrote:I will awaiting any further developments or scripts or advice that will allow me to file who is the Artist and Title for my 300 + MP3 files that I never correctly labeled when I saved them :-?
Actually, I try to do this task with 3rd-party tools like Picard (who has included the AcoustID part).

Be warned: The "guessing" of such unknown tracks is cumbersome and error-prone!

Sorry,that I can't tell you a perfect working solution.
It would be fantastic, if MM could do the hashing-and-lookup part internally.
Magic Nodes v4.2 (2011-07-01) SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.3 (2011-07-06)

Lowlander
Posts: 44737
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: PUID Generator 2.5 - Updated 28/07/2012

Post by Lowlander » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:13 am

It seems an unfair assessment to conclude that because PUID was discontinued by MusicBrainz there are no useful tagging scripts in MediaMonkey.

I'd suggest checking out:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=64124
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=69565
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

thefaceman
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:43 pm

Re: PUID Generator 2.5 - Updated 28/07/2012

Post by thefaceman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:20 am

Lowlander wrote:It seems an unfair assessment to conclude that because PUID was discontinued by MusicBrainz there are no useful tagging scripts in MediaMonkey.

I'd suggest checking out:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=64124
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=69565

Lowlander - You are AWESOME
I have 3795 songs that I cannot positively identify.

The MusicBrainz NGS + AcoustId Tagger [MM3&4] v1.25 works VERY well.

So far in my testing of MusicBrainz it has only had one 'missed ID" and it was 'very close' in sound wise to the one it matched.

So your solution is a blessing and a curse (sigh... now I have to get busy and actually USE this AWESOME script)

Thank you for your insight and knowledge of MM to be able to help on this issue.

Lowlander
Posts: 44737
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: PUID Generator 2.5 - Updated 28/07/2012

Post by Lowlander » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:49 am

You may also want to try/read about: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=69565
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Post Reply