New script: Big Now Playing

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

spitzer

New script: Big Now Playing

Post by spitzer »

Hi all,

Howdy folks, first scripting post.

Just set up a nice XP MM-driven music server for my stereo, been ripping and organizing like a loony tune, and had fun writing my first script.

I wanted a big "now playing" window so I could see what's on from wherever I am in my listening space. This functionality probably exists somewhere, but I couldn't find it and wanted to start coding something anyway :)

"Big Now Playing" displays track info in large format so you can see it while away from your system. It also has several large buttons for functions with a remote mouse:
- Play the next track
- Add the track to a special playlist so you can move/work with it later
- Hide the Big Now Playing window

(A remote mouse is a good solution for a remote control, as long as it has a few programmable buttons for basics like Play/Pause, Next, Previous, etc. Whatever you don't program you can do through the normal UI if you're close enough, or have large buttons like those in this script.)

Big Now Playing sizes itself (window, font size and such) according to your screen size and by truncates long lines of track info (rather than using smaller font sizes and wrapping). "Complete" track info is reported at the bottom of the window in small text to make it easy to take a closer look. It also displays album art, if present.

The script requires an activeX component for IE6 or later, which is likely already on your system.

I plan on testing it on more screen resolutions and making it configurable.

Download here

Install it by simply copying it to the Auto folder in your scripts folder.

Bug reports (preferably with steps to reproduce), suggestions and other feedback welcome. Feel free to comment on the code.

Skip
Last edited by spitzer on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melloware

Re: New script: Big Now Playing

Post by Melloware »

Skip,

I think you forgot to attach the script? Also you might want to post this in the Addons forum.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
MonkeyTunes - DACP Server for MediaMonkey
Intelliremote - Take Back Control of your HTPC!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
spitzer

Post by spitzer »

Yeah forgot the link. Thx. I've edited the post and include it here: http://consulting.rootaction.org/dev/bi ... ing1.0.zip.

Was waiting to post to the Addons forum in case there was some feedback here on some significant error in approach.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Cool, I like it! :D

It would be great if you could add an On/Off functionality! :wink:
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

how did i miss this post? um sounds good but a screenshot would be nice 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I'd love to see a screen shot. Thanks!
--
The gpzbc
ReverendEntity

Post by ReverendEntity »

Bex wrote:Cool, I like it! :D

It would be great if you could add an On/Off functionality! :wink:
This would be a great help. Also, I think Stardock's Windowblinds is making it invisible (although I can probably fix that by adding the script as an exception, maybe?). But yes, it has definitely been a boon when I take my laptop over to a friend's for dinner parties.
EvilPeppard

Post by EvilPeppard »

I realize this is an old thread, but I have been on the lookout for something like this for a while! I originally posted back in 2011 looking for something similar, although I was thinking along the lines of a screensaver at the time.

Original post: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=60051

This script works great. I've included a screenshot. Thank you for making this available.

"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."
HaliburtonZeke

Post by HaliburtonZeke »

This MM Add-On is exactly what I want; but I can't get it to work properly.
MM gold 4.0.7.1511, Win 7 build 7601, Syncmaster 226BW screen. Installed bigNowPlaying1.0.vbs in C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\Scripts\Auto. Starts up when play a song; EXCEPT does not show complete song title, etc. Shows the BigNowPlaying window in correct colours (yellow with purple border and green letters but shows only part of the window (3 1/2 wide X 2 5/8 high) with borders on top and left only. For example, playing "Eagles - Hotel California" shows "Eagl on the first line and just the top of the letters "Hotel" on the second line. But if I right-click "Select All" and "Copy" I get
"Eagles
Hotel California
Complete Greatest Hits
Track 117
Artist: Eagles; Track: Hotel California; Track number: 117; Album: Complete Greatest Hits; Album artist: Eagles; Length: 6:30; Format: mp3"
So, all the information is there but it's not being displayed. Does the same whether there's album art or not.
Any ideas about how to fix?
Thanks.
Zeke
EvilPeppard

Post by EvilPeppard »

I love this script too, but since I upgraded to Windows 8, the script errors out.

I basically get a runtime error now in Windows 8, so I had to remove the script. :(

Hopefully the script will get updated. :)

EDIT: If I need to post a screenshot of the errors, I certainly can re-enable the script and do that. Let me know. Thanks!

EDIT 2: Here are screenshots of the two errors. Hope these screenshots help someone who can modify this script to work properly in Windows 8. Thanks in advance! :D

EvilPeppard

Post by EvilPeppard »

Just following up,

If there are no plans to update this script for Windows 8, are there any other options I can consider in MediaMonkey? I really want an option to see what is playing on our media computer from across the room. This script worked great prior to Windows 8.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a large or scalable 'Now Playing' popup window, I would love to try it out.

As a side note, MusicBee addresses this by allowing for a customizable now playing popup window:

MusicBee has a popup now playing window just like MediaMonkey, but you can override the window settings to make the popup as large as you like, plus you can change the font size for easy reading from across the room. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like in MusicBee. I have mine set to display for 60 seconds, then it fades out:

Hope this all helps as suggestions for MediaMonkey. :)
ReverendEntity

Post by ReverendEntity »

Bump for fixing the Big Now Playing script or implementing a similar playback mode natively in MediaMonkey.
EvilPeppard

Post by EvilPeppard »

deusdiabolus wrote:Bump for fixing the Big Now Playing script or implementing a similar playback mode natively in MediaMonkey.
Yes, please! I really prefer to have MediaMonkey as my primary/one-and-only music player all around.
EvilPeppard

Post by EvilPeppard »

deusdiabolus wrote:Bump for fixing the Big Now Playing script or implementing a similar playback mode natively in MediaMonkey.
Just following up again in hopes for a fix for Windows 8/8/1 for this script, or something similar for MediaMonkey.

:)
EvilPeppard

Post by EvilPeppard »

Since we haven't had any response from the author, or anyone else who may know how to fix this VB script, I have tapped some other resources to see if we can get this script updated to work with Windows 8/8.1.

I will post back as soon as I have an update. I really want this script to work again! If I only knew how to code VB scripts!