MM Plugin for PS3MediaServer (PS3 and more!)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

botijo

MM Plugin for PS3MediaServer (PS3 and more!)

Post by botijo »

Hi, everyone,
I wanted to do something different with the UPNP server, so I looked into different backends, and ps3mediaserver (PSM) was something fairly easy to code with. This post is about a plugin for psm that connects to your local MM.DB file.

Please have a look at http://sites.google.com/site/elbotijomm ... erver-mods and tell me if you find any trouble with it.

Installation steps:
  1. Download modified PS3MediaServer v1.20 build (edits too recent to be in the main code)
  2. Test that PS3MediaServer connects with your devices
  3. Download mm_plugin.jar and sqlite*.jar into psm/plugins folder
  4. Start PSM, go into configuration, configure the plugin, click on save
  5. Restart Server
If you followed these steps, then a new folder called "MediaMonkey Library" should appear.

Revision History

Code: Select all

2010/02/06 - Initial version posted for testing
             Basic functionality, needs hacked v1.20 build of the server
Last edited by botijo on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
botijo

Re: MM Plugin for PS3MediaServer

Post by botijo »

The first version is just for testing.
In case you find some error, check your debug.log from the PS3MediaServer (usually in PS3MediaServer installation directory or in user directory somewhere, depends on Windows version). The lines around MediaMonkey in the debug.log are the interesting parts.

Let me know if there is some test case that does not work. Please check also with normal PS3MediaServer operation, browsing your local files.

If anybody knows how to implement the IUNICODE collation in Java, that would be great.
yeboah

Post by yeboah »

Having trouble with this on Vista.

Can you tell me the path to copy the files into?

Thanks
botijo

Post by botijo »

yeboah wrote:Having trouble with this on Vista.

Can you tell me the path to copy the files into?

Thanks
Hi, yeboah,
the steps are:
  • Install PMS (PS3MediaServer)
  • Download the two jar files needed (plugin AND sqlite*)
  • Move those two jar files into PMS\plugins
The usual installation directory would be (typing this on top of my head):
c:\Program Files\PMS
Regards.
calgon

Post by calgon »

I have the same issue....

Where do you put the plugin files. There is no plugins folder set up at installation. The server has been installed on my x64 Vista to C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3Media Server.

Have tried placing the files in :\Program Files (x86)\PS3Media Server\plugins and other places but with no result.

:(
botijo

Post by botijo »

Which version are you using? You need at least 1.20.398. Links have been updated some days ago in the website.
spqrbc753

Post by spqrbc753 »

OP....

I am willing to help you test this out, I am running windows 7 - 64 bit....

let me know what you want me to try out, i too dont see where to get the plugins ?
botijo

Post by botijo »

spqrbc753 wrote:let me know what you want me to try out, i too dont see where to get the plugins ?
For the people that do not see the plugins folder: You need to install one of the 1.20 betas, version 398 up (at time of writting, version 405). I installed the latest one myself and I can see that plugin folder. Apart from that, I think the instructions should be clear. Let me know if you think I could rewrite the instructions in a clearer way (I am not English speaker myself).

At the moment I am waiting for how MediaMonkey 4 features list - I think one of the rumors is native UPNP implementation. So I might take the plugin down.
sordup

Post by sordup »

Sorry if this question seems based in ignorance, but i'm afraid it is:

Is it possible to use the PSM without having a PS3? You seem to imply that on the PSM plugin page.
I have no PS3, but I downloaded PSM v1.20.409 and it shows that no PS3 has been found (of course) and in the "Traces" tab it shows "Media renderer was not recognized" for Windows Media Player.
I am looking (as I imagine many are) to be able to stream audio from within MM from one computer to another. In my case my laptop controlling playback from the desktop (music server) over the home network, or vice versa. WMP 12 can do this (though with many problems for me, and I don't like WMP). Does this plugin emulate that?
Is it possible to use it with MM to control playback remotely within MM while using WMP 12 as the renderer on the server machine? or, better yet, from MM to MM between machines?

Again, excuse me if this is addressed somewhere else and just point me in the right place.

Thanks for your time.
botijo

Post by botijo »

You are right that PS3MediaServer (PMS) is not only for PS3. I use that in order to stream to my Roku Soundbridge and Xbox360 (although I am not convinced this works great for audio). From what I know, it also works with selected Sony Bravias, Philips Aureas, and other connected TVs.

PMS partly implements an UPNP A/V MediaServer (it does not do everything it should, but it works most of the time). A subset of UPNP MediaServer is called DLNA server. This means that a client (UPNP A/V MediaRenderer) can get the files from the server.

As discussed in other post, this does not remotely controls other computer or device. Like the sharing in WMP 11 (I do not have Windows 7), the clients should not be able to control anything on the server.

I hope this answers all of your questions.
sordup

Re: MM Plugin for PS3MediaServer (PS3 and more!)

Post by sordup »

Thanks for the reply.
Rather than "remote control" of a server, could it not just see the server as an audio device and just "push" content to it for playback?
botijo

Post by botijo »

sordup wrote:Thanks for the reply.
Rather than "remote control" of a server, could it not just see the server as an audio device and just "push" content to it for playback?
The UPNP A/V / DLNA way works like this:
  • Server is announced in the local network
  • Client connects, user browses the "Content directory"
  • User selects a song/video/picture
  • Client downloads the item from the server, usually via HTTP
  • Client renders the item (shows it on screen, plays music)
This method is not for distributing what you listen in your computer to other rooms. Focus is on stored media. And the server has no control on the client. It is useful for other things that are not computers, like TVs and game consoles.
There are tools that lets you stream what you hear over the network to other computers, but unfortunately, I am not familiar with those.
sordup

Post by sordup »

OK. Thanks for your input. At least I know I'm in the wrong ballpark.
weswilliamz

Post by weswilliamz »

just downloaded ps3mediaplayer and this plugin and love it. one requests, is there anyway to make the genre have a play all? it does seem playlists and maybe folders can only have 255 files but it would be nice. anyway thanks for the plugin.
BrentInNova

Post by BrentInNova »

I was really excited about the information I found on this thread. I downloaded the PS3 Media Server and it was working with my PS3 out of the box. I dropped in the jar files and after trying a few times and then realizing that I had to click the SAVE button I saw the MediaMonkey Library folder!!

I clicked Playlists and...huh...where are all my playlists??? It is right that this tool will only provide access to standard Playlists and not "AutoPlaylists"? Almost all of my playlists are AutoPlaylists and getting access to these playlists from my PS3 was the feature that I was most looking for. Is there any chance that this plug in would be able to access AutoPlaylists? (I can understand where this would be more difficult...a regular playlist is probably just a list of files in the database but an AutoPlaylists likely has to be calculated on the fly).

Are there other options to get access to my AutoPlaylists?