Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

nohitter151

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [M

Post by nohitter151 »

chrisjj wrote:
ZvezdanD wrote:. You know that the name of this add-on is "Update Location of Files in Database", right?
I do. Are you suggesting Now Playing tracks are not stored in the database?
Not always. Surely you know that you can play a track without it being in the database.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

chrisjj wrote:Are you suggesting Now Playing tracks are not stored in the database?
The list of tracks placed in Now Playing panel is not stored in the database, but in the mediamonkey.m3u file that is located in the same folder with the DB file.

Update of paths of files in that file could be done using Export/Create Playlists add-on with its "Export M3U Playlists in Child Nodes to Same Folders" command applied to the corresponding M3U node from the My Computer branch with previously adjusted "Replace - Paths in playlist files" option.

However, since that that file is located in system folder that is not visible in the Media Tree of MediaMonkey, it would be necessary to copy it first to some temporary folder using Windows Explorer or Total Commander with checked option to show content of system folders and after modification with the mentioned add-on it should be copied back to MediaMonkey DB folder (in MM4 and XP it is c:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\MediaMonkey\)
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

nohitter151 wrote:
chrisjj wrote:Are you suggesting Now Playing tracks are not stored in the database?
Not always.
Ah, thanks.
nohitter151 wrote:Surely you know that you can play a track without it being in the database.
No. But I can believe it in the case of MM. Normally I'd expect a track in Now Playing would go into the database, but MediaMonkey scatters its storage all over the shop.
Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

ZvezdanD wrote:The list of tracks placed in Now Playing panel is not stored in the database
Thanks. Suggestion: make the docs tell the user what file references are and are not handled by this addon. Considering that neither the addon nor Mediamonkey itself tells the user what files are "stored in the database".
Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Hi Z. You might like to know the V1.4 script had trouble finding the ~22K source files. But running it again twice did eventually get them all.

Is it possible the scan is happening in the background, and not finished?

Chris
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

chrisjj wrote:Hi Z. You might like to know the V1.4 script had trouble finding the ~22K source files. But running it again twice did eventually get them all.

Is it possible the scan is happening in the background, and not finished?
Yes, the scan for existing files is running in the background, so you could use the other controls from the dialog during scan (even the Update button). Here is the excerpt from the Usage section of the first post of this thread:
"If you want to update location only for files which exist at the new specified location you should turn on the Update paths in database only for files that exist at new location option. In that case you should wait for the add-on to finish with search for files before you click on the Update button. However, if you turn that option off, you could click on the Update button immediately after you specify the old and new paths."

However, it seems that you are missing another important behavior of this add-on which I explained somewhere in this thread. You could specify not only the root of some drive for update, but also some base folder. That means that you could update only files from the specified folder and all its sub-folders.

In your first and second screenshots you have specified some folders and because of that you didn't get all files from that drive for update, but only files from the specified folders and their sub-folders. In the third screenshot you have selected the root of drive and then you got all files from that drive accordingly.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

ZvezdanD wrote:In your first and second screenshots you have specified some folders and because of that you didn't get all files from that drive for update
Ah! Thanks for spotting that! I didn't knowingly specify a folder and can't see how anything that would autoselect it. Next time I take take to check the selection before Update. Thanks!
Chris
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

chrisjj wrote:I didn't knowingly specify a folder and can't see how anything that would autoselect it.
Usage excerpt: "Select some missing file with the old drive/path in the main tracklist or select missing drive/folder in the Location or My Computer branch of the tree panel and choose "Update Location of Files in Database..." from the Tools | Scripts menu, then in the new dialog box select the new path. The old drive/path could be set in the mentioned dialog box as well."

In another words, the Old drive/path was auto-select to the same drive/path of the file that you have selected in the main filelist.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Ah, that could definitely explain it. Thanks.
Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

I copied a MM portable installation and tracks to a USB stick, launched in XP, and ran the script V1.4. You might be interested to see the fail:

Note the media tree.

It looks like this messed my DB, because when I enabled Entire Library and tried again, the script did not offer my old location, and with the new location, failed to restore any files.
Chris
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

chrisjj wrote:It looks like this messed my DB, because when I enabled Entire Library and tried again, the script did not offer my old location, and with the new location, failed to restore any files.
Your guess was just partly right - this add-on works fine if Entire Library is displayed in the media tree. I will update the next version of the script to remove this limitation.

However, part of the script which requires displayed Entire Library node is on its end and it executes when all updating of the database is already finished, and it is only needed to refresh paths displayed in the main filelist. You could just restart the program and you would get paths updated both in the database and GUI as you have specified.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

ZvezdanD wrote:Your guess was just partly right
Did that part include "this messed my DB" ?
Chris
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

chrisjj wrote:
ZvezdanD wrote:Your guess was just partly right
Did that part include "this messed my DB" ?
No, I explained that your database is correctly updated because the part of code which requires displayed Entire Library node is on its very end when updating of the database is already done. The part where you tried to enable the Entire Library node was right.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

ZvezdanD wrote:No, I explained that your database is correctly updated
I didn't see "correctly" :)

Thanks.
Chris
damixx

Post by damixx »

I use a portable install of MM 4 gold on an external drive
I just copyed all my files on my new portable drive

To run the script, should I launch the MM software on the old or new drive?
Should the script be ran on the old or new drive?

Regards