Earliest Release Date v4.5.1 (2018-08-15)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Scottes

Re: Earliest Release Date from Discogs v2.0

Post by Scottes »

I've been working on a Python script to query MusicBrainz to get the earliest release date. I've hit a snag which makes me wonder if it's going to be 100% accurate. The problem that I hit is with the song "Blue Monday" by New Order. The correct answer is 1983, when the single was released. I have yet to programmatically retrieve that answer. Even when searching MB by hand, drilling down the band's releases, it requires some effort to find that correct date. I have not yet been able to produce an advanced query that lists that on the first page of results.

It's certainly in the MB database: http://musicbrainz.org/release-group/26 ... 2745799aec
But finding that in a query has eluded me.

If you manage to create a query to find it, please let me know. I may be missing something completely.
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

Long awaited script Scott.... will this be a new plugin for MB?
Wonderful if possible to refresh a whole library!
Scottes

Post by Scottes »

Well, I have been working on a script to do what wxdude has already done, change MediaMonkey dates to earliest release dates. I'm just using MusicBrainz instead of Discogs - mainly because I didn't know wxdude's script even existed.

If wxdude figures out how to query MusicBrainz for this info, then I'd love to know. If I'm actually successful then I'll certainly let people know. So far it's been a bit tricky.
Scottes

Post by Scottes »

This was bugging me a bit, so I went digging again, and I think I found the answer to my "Blue Monday" issue, and maybe the better way to search MusicBrainz for earliest release dates...

By hand, I queried for the Artist and Song, narrowed down to either Album releases or Single releases.
Blue Monday AND artist:New Order and type:album OR type:album
A.K.A.
http://musicbrainz.org/search?query=Blu ... &limit=100

This query got the song on page one, and parsing the output finds the correct earliest release date of 1983. Yay.

Theoretically, the "types" should also include Soundtrack and Live and EP and the list goes on. Basically, avoid Types like Compilation and Live which are very unlikely to contain Earliest original Release Dates.

Now I just have to translate this into my Python script. wxdude, if you're using Python let me know if you want my code snippets to save a little time.
Hagar

Post by Hagar »

You deserve major kudos.

Now for a little wonder can you do this.

When I have the script docked to the right of Mediamonkey, the search results are hidden off screen if it is a long file name. Any chance of getting them to wrap?

Cheers
wxdude

Post by wxdude »

Hagar wrote:the search results are hidden off screen if it is a long file name. Any chance of getting them to wrap
Unfortunately not. Radio buttons do not allow for multiline text. I could add options for what is displayed though to make the text shorter. Right now the radio button text is written as Artist-Album-Title, Year. I could add options to turn on/off the Artist, Album, and/or Title.

Now if I could just find time to work on it.....
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

I hate asking dumb questions but I can't figure out how to make this one work. IT looks cool, and it appears to have installed correctly (I can open the options sheet for the script) but the script doesn't work. IT does not update the date or the original date for any song. I play the song, and nothing changes. I don't see anything in the MM UI to activate the script or force it to update the date fields (which are blank). Sorry to be dumb.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Ugh. Found it after much poking around. On the View menu, click to select "Earliest date". Then the Earliest Date box appears in the panels on the right - above the "Now Playing" box.

:o
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I'm glad you got it figured out.
--
The gpzbc
wxdude

Re: Earliest Release Date v3.0 (2013-01-24)

Post by wxdude »

New version 3.0 is available. Please see first post for link to download, or Tools - Extensions - Find Updates

Changes include:
  • Musicbrainz Search
  • Search by selection
  • Automatic sorting of release dates
  • Several new options to control UI
  • Apply to album option moved to UI
Please see first post for details.

Enjoy, and let me know if there are any problems.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Thank you for updating this script. I am anxious to try it out. Unfortunately, the first post does not contain the updated version. Am I missing something?
Thank you.
--
The gpzbc
wxdude

Post by wxdude »

gpzbc wrote:Thank you for updating this script. I am anxious to try it out. Unfortunately, the first post does not contain the updated version. Am I missing something?
Thank you.
A typo in the link that was my fault. Fixed, and link should work now.
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

It is - just downloaded :D
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Thank you!
--
The gpzbc
San23

Post by San23 »

Scottes wrote:This was bugging me a bit, so I went digging again, and I think I found the answer to my "Blue Monday" issue, and maybe the better way to search MusicBrainz for earliest release dates...

By hand, I queried for the Artist and Song, narrowed down to either Album releases or Single releases.
Blue Monday AND artist:New Order and type:album OR type:album
A.K.A.
http://musicbrainz.org/search?query=Blu ... &limit=100

This query got the song on page one, and parsing the output finds the correct earliest release date of 1983. Yay.

Theoretically, the "types" should also include Soundtrack and Live and EP and the list goes on. Basically, avoid Types like Compilation and Live which are very unlikely to contain Earliest original Release Dates.

Now I just have to translate this into my Python script. wxdude, if you're using Python let me know if you want my code snippets to save a little time.
Hi Scotts,

I am looking for a script to do the same. Can you share your script with me?

-San