ScrobblerDJ v1.26, Let your music free!!!

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Post by Guest »

link? site search shows no results for 2.5.3
Bex

Post by Bex »

You'll find it the Beta forum:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

/Bex
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
jjbuchan

Post by jjbuchan »

This isn't working for me and I'm not sure why. The first couple times I tried to run it an error appeared about line 314, but I think that stopped showing as soon as I changed the timeout value.

When I select the last track of an album to play the "Querying Last.fm" bit shows up for at most a second and then hides. Then nothing else happens that I can see.

I've already updated to the latest beta version.

Anyone know what the problem could be?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

What is your timeout value? - sounds to me like that's too small so the script is giving up quickly.

I'm sure if you emailed psyxonova a debug log (from his script, not an MM one!) he'd be able to figure out what's going wrong.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
jjbuchan

Post by jjbuchan »

I increased the timeout value and nothing changed. Then I changed the show info duration and suddenly it works.

A couple of errors did come up but I can't remember what lines they were referring to. If I experience any more problems I'll get the debug log.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

I love this plugin, and I love Audioscrobbler's openness to scripting.. it means that people who might only know languages like vbs can still have good access to some of the powerful features of hte program.

a couple of suggestions for the program, psyxonova:

in the options panel.. you should put an about button that will display acknowledgements of you when clicked. It should also show what the current version of the installed plugin is.

I love open source and free distribution.. but don't forget to acknowledge yourself somewhere.

I'm not sure 'exactly' how it works, but from what I understand, the program looks for a related artist (that you also have in your library) to the one currently playing. Then it checks to find a 'recommended' track from that artist. If it doesn't find one.. it adds any track from that artist.

It seems to me that it should check that there are 'recommended' tracks from the artist before settling for that artist. An option for this would probably be best as it would probably mean checking last.fm more than once.

hope the last suggestion is understood.

Dale.
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

I have an issue that I think we all should consider... especially developers like psyxonova.

from what I understand, Last.fm creates these 'relationships' between tracks through millions of users around the world playing the tracks one after the other... the more users that play these tracks together, the stronger the bonds get in the last.fm database.

some of you might see where I'm going with this...

so, what a fantastic plugin like scrobbler DJ does, is uses those relationships to create a dynamic stream of music... the problem is, those songs are played one after the other and also logged to the last.fm site as having been listened to together. This means that everytime scrobbler dj finds a track and plays it, it STRENGTHENS the relationship between those two tracks when it shouldn't.

so the related tracks slowly get more and more linked simply because they're being read as such from the database.. which means using scrobbler dj slowly makes the database innacurate.

Of course, the scrobbler plugin is so widely used that it wouldn't make much of a difference at the moment, nor would it be used solely by people as opposed to the same people sometimes manually choosing thier music.

However, the potential future of this plugin and plugins like it should be thought about.
Obviously, the solution isn't for scrobbler dj to tell media monkey not to 'log' to last.fm any tracks that it itself has queued because users would like their listening habits displayed on their page - though this is obviously an option.
If it's possible to communicate with last fm on a more complicated level, it would be best to log the track, but at the same time tell last.fm that the track was chosen using it's own database and so a relationship should not be built from it. this may be something that the last.fm programers need to allow for. I'm not sure what is capable.

thoughts?

Dale.
oldskool73

Post by oldskool73 »

I don't think this really matters, it's all valid data to Last.fm. Although the relation is a looser one than if you had selected the next tune yourself, it's still a valid relationship and a reflection of your musical taste simply because you had the two songs in your library.

It's the same as when your playlist is on random, or when you are just randomly clicking through listening to various tracks, or when your friend comes around and selects some music etc... All of this creates a background 'noise' of data and relationships that actually helps strengthen the last.fm data and build interesting patterns than you weren't even aware of.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

thanks oldsckool, you make a good point, but I have to disagree...

I don't think it's the same as random as random is random and this is simply making stronger those that have been defined already.

Yes.. they are all in songs your library, so in terms of last.fm knowing 'your' tastes, it is still acurate.. but in terms of knowing what of those songs relate to other songs.. it becomes innacurate.

The stronger relationships become compared to those that aren't already related, the more often they'll be played together and the 'less random' the scrobbler choices will become (the ones that have huge relationships built up because of this will constantly be the ones chosen next as they will be so far ahead of the others). Obviously this would take too long to manifest at the current rate.. but if this plugin and others like it become very mainstream then it's a big issue.

Don't get me wrong, I love this plugin and it's exactly what the database should be used for... but I think the two solutions I've proposed should be looked into to prevent this problem.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

I think it just doesn't matter! There are only a few people who use MediaMonkey and even fewer people who use that script and have it activated. Random playlists are a much greater issue.
If you are developer you have set priorities because you always can tune your programs. Implementing "your" feature it would take too much time and make the script more unstable. Psyxnova should (and probably will) use his time for other featuers which are more important like Playlist-Gerantion... ;)

Big_Berny
oldskool73

Post by oldskool73 »

I made a slight mod to the script...

I wanted it to find a new track to add for every song played, not just the last in a playlist. What I like to do is cue up maybe 10 songs and by the end this script has got me another 10 songs based on ALL the artists in the playlist, not just the last one. This makes it a little more interesting IMHO :)

It's a very simple mod, just comment out the whole 'If' in the 'ScrobblerDJ' sub...

Code: Select all

'check its the last song
    'Dim ind, tot
    'ind = SDB.Player.CurrentSongIndex + 1
    'tot = SDB.Player.CurrentSongList.Count
    'If ind < tot Then
    '    logme "Playlist hasn't reached the last song"
    '    logme "* ScrobblerDJ exited"

'    Exit Sub
    'End If

perhaps this could be made an option, or is there something really bad about doing this I'm missing? :o
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

There's nothing bad about doing this and I've suggested this to a few people who have requested this option. It does mean that you're not really following a train because the next suggested track will always be 10 (or however man in the list) songs away, so you get more of a cycle. But if the 10 (for example) songs are all similar then this would work well.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Well, I'd like if the new (suggested) song will be directly under the current song. Although this one hasn't to be the last song... That would be great!

Big_Berny
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

But then the list would continue to get longer, but you'd never play the end of the list, because the middle would always be getting longer. :-?
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Well, I'd hear the end of the list when I deactivate ScrobberDJ... I really don't know if this would be useful for most users (other opinions?) but for me it would!

Big_Berny