Auto Rating of Songs & Radio Announcer v5.02 [Script]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Darryl_Gittins

Re: Auto Rating of Songs & Radio Announcer v5.02 [Script]

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Thanks everyone.

This script was the only reason I stuck with MM 2.5 rather than upgrade to version 3. However, now that I see that the ratings are not actually updated to the track tags, I see no point in using it. You see, the thing is, if you move your collection, or for any reason need to rebuild the db, all the ratings are lost. Personally, I think it's better to update the metadata, so that if the track is scanned again, you'd see the updated rating.

And yes - I tried to sync the tags, but the sync does not see or apply track rating updates that are created by this script. Don't know where the script stores the updated track ratings, but it is not stored where the sync sees it, or where a scan done by MM on another computer can see it.

I was using a shared database which allowed ratings to be shared among more than one computer, but I found that this caused long delays between tracks, (and also tended to hang some apps) so I went back to separate databases for each computer, with one shared folder for music files, but in this case, autorating is not actually shared among both computers, because, as you say, "the file rating is only being saved on the computer where the rating occurred".

The script is cool, and I do hope that our smart guy diddeleedoo (thanks man!) might make it work in Version 3, and perhaps even make an option to actually apply the updated ratings permanently to the metadata of the track, rather than store it in the database where it could be lost.

Is anyone aware of any other tool that will update the ratings for a track based on if the track is played through, or skipped, and that will actually update the Tags for the track?

Many thanks!!
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Hi Daryll,
you could check my autorating script in the meanwhile: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=24126 :)

An update will come soon.
Big_Berny
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem with your script is that all of my songs were at one time manually rated (I start everything off at 2 stars), and so your script will either make no changes at all (if the ingnore manual ratings check box is not selected) or it will completely scramble my manual ratings (if the ingnore manual ratings check box is selected).

Ideally, what I'd love to see is a simple script that will increment the rating by 1/2 a star if the songe is either skipped or played through t the end. That is, skipped songs move down the ratings and songs that are played though to the end move up the ratings.

Thanks!!
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem with your script is that all of my songs were at one time manually rated (I start everything off at 2 stars), and so your script will either make no changes at all (if the ingnore manual ratings check box is not selected) or it will completely scramble my manual ratings (if the ingnore manual ratings check box is selected).
That's right. But with my script you could set BaseRating to 2, so that all songs without autorating get 2 stars by default. You just had to delete the ratings of all songs with 2 stars.
Ideally, what I'd love to see is a simple script that will increment the rating by 1/2 a star if the songe is either skipped or played through t the end. That is, skipped songs move down the ratings and songs that are played though to the end move up the ratings.
As you noted my script works a bit different. But if you use my script the formula "Played-Skip" would give quite similar ratings. The script is just a bit "more intelligent" and will automatically adjust the ratings.
EDIT: Deleted wrong part.

Big_Berny
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Thanks Benny, where would I find the "Played-Skip" script? Maybe that would work for me!
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

It's not a "played-skip"-script.

1. Download my AutoRateAccurate-script: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=24126
2. Install it and restart MM.
3. Go into MM-options and then to AutoRateAccurate. Enable the script. (Here you can change other options too, if you want)
4. Got to Advanced (still in the options) and select as formula "Custom formula".
5. Enter in the field below: "played-skip" (without ").
6. Press ok and the script will rate your library.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Thanks Benny, your script looks very cool, but I don't think I want the script updating the entire library in one go, or ignoring songs that I have previously set. I'm hoping to find something that will only update the rating only for the currently playing song - either move the rating up or down, depending on if it was played through, or skipped. I did try your script, and I guess I didn't have it configured right, but I can't say that I am happy that it overwrote my carefully configured ratings for my entire library.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Well, that's your choice!
But with default settings it won't overwrite your "carefully configured ratings" and you also can remove the autoratings again. So there's no problem in testing the script and removing the autoratings and the script afterwards. Just to be sure that there's no confusion for other users.
either move the rating up or down, depending on if it was played through, or skipped
That's exactly what it does. But since MediaMonkey already stored the plays you did before installing the script, it uses this information. But as I said, it's your choice. I'll surely not copy this script to make it run on MM 3.x I already barely have enough time to develope my own.

Big_Berny
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

@ Big_Berny, thanks for the information, but I beg to differ, your autorating script did reset all of my ratings in one fell swoop. What I hoped for was something that would nudge the song's rating only if the song was skipped or played through all the way. The script went through and reset all of my ratings in one scan, and they were not restored even after a clean wipe and reinstall of MM. I don't understand the script well enough to adjust it the way you say it can be adjusted, and I don't know what I did to permanently change my ratings with the ratings set by the script - all I know is that the ratings HAVE been permanently changed for ALL of my songs after running the script, and that permanently erased an awful lot of work that I had previously done rating my songs. The script really should come with a warning about this.

The original "Auto Rating of Songs & Radio Announcer" worked pretty well in MM2, even if it did not permanently change the setting of the currently paying song (or the entire library). It only changed the rating (temporarily) for the currently playing song if the song was skipped or played through all the way, unlike Big_Berny's autorating script, which scans the entire library and changes all of the ratings in one scan based on the number of plays (apparently).

Given that this thread has seen over 150 thousand visits, I wonder if it's a feature that MM really should have built in?
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Hi Daryll,
The script doesn't overwrite existing ratings it just set's autoratings for unrated songs by default! If you want to remove all autoratings (without your manual ratings) you don't have to remove the script but to go into the MediaMonkey-options. Under Library/AutoRateAccurate/Tools you'll find a button to do that. This should solve your problem. Just to let you know.

The difference of my script is as you noticed that it rates the whole library. So it doesn't only count's the plays you do from now on but it also analyses the past. The rating is based on the Playcounter, DaysInLibrary, PlayedPerDay, LastPlayed and SkipCounter.

Feel free to prefer the other script though! :D I just thought this info might help you.

Big_Berny
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Darryl_Gittins what system you using again? mm 2 or mm 3.

and big berny has promised to try and set up the same system in his that i have in my custom one from diddeleedoo. he has part of it but not all of it. i miss the weeks months years hours of mine.

but diddeleedoo's does not work in mm 3.1.1

or mm 3.0

i think it might have a bug or two in his last version for mm 2.5 but i'm not sure since i only use my custom one he did on my mm 2.5 system.

if you want i i''ll send you my custom version, i remember saying that before to someone but i don't remember getting any email address in a pm from them.

with my custom one you can set up anything you want and it will not change any song until it is played.
and it sees the number of playcounts in the unchanged column in the database. of mm 2.5
works perfectly for me.

i miss diddeleedoo's scripting for monkey too bad he had to stop coming here he just got to busy at work.
ah the troubles with being successful.

:)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
davejon

Post by davejon »

I was looking for such auto-rating.I think this feature is excellent and necessary to have in any media player.I like the way it makes the auto-rating.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

this script has not been updated for mm 3.1 it did have some coding i think for mm 3.0 beta versions but that scripting has been changed i think twice and diddeleedoo has not been back to the forum since he tried that 3.0 beta version scripting. so as the last few posts in this thread that i made and seveal others made this script by diddeleedoo wont work anymore. unless you are still using mediamonkey 2.5.5.

so go get big berny's script he links to it in his message posts. and here is his link again.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24126

that is the only auto rating that even comes close to having no errors and is the only one that has been updated for mm 3.1 or 3.2

:)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Kmunki

Post by Kmunki »

How do I remove the autorate script if it has been manually installed?
I got the files from the begining of this thread, and followed the setup instructions.
Since doing so, my MM has been unresponsive at times for up to 4 minutes each start up.
It crashes around the time i suppose it would be autorating. (start of a new song).
Leaves error messages
And other times it will work fine for hours then suddenly freeze.
I just want the files gone and MM to work as it should.
Thanks in advance.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Kmunki wrote: I just want the files gone and MM to work as it should.
Thanks in advance.
Go to your mediamonkey folder, usually c:\program files or c:\program files (x86) and then to the scripts sub folder
in this folder delete "RadioAnnouncer.vbs"
then go to the scripts\auto folder and delete "AutoRateSongs.vbs" and "AutoRateSongsOptionSheet.vbs"

This should be it. Restart MM
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,