Auto Rating of Songs & Radio Announcer v5.02 [Script]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

I feel this whole 0-5 Star calculation business is more related to a report of what you have heard a lot of and what you have not heard a lot of.
I think it should be more than that! If not you can also just check the Playcounter...

But I also think that a song shouldn't be autorated to 0 stars but everyone has another opinion here. So I think everyone should use it's own way.

Between, I also think that everyone is free to modify the scripts because it's opensource. That's how it works and that's how scirpts can be improved. But I told you that already...

Big_Berny
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

I'm not that keen on something that I have worked on day and night for weeks being ripped apart because of misunderstandings either.

You cannot have a middle point of 0 stars, because -1 Star does not exist.

There has to be a middle point in this system, no matter what. The middle point was first set by some very fine guidance from Teknojnky. Then after I ran several reports in many forms I found 2.0 Stars to be closer to what brought excellent results, only half a Star away from Teknojnky original idea.

Three strikes, and you're out is an old saying, and that is what happens in this script. 2 Strikes brings it down to 1.0 Star. At the third strike, the song is one step from being a Bomb.. That last step is like a Recycle Bin for ratings.

Then you have the travelling up in star ratings, which is a short term tolerance rating system, and that’s what the 'Keep Updated' script monitors in a simple way.

The Catch-Up script was made to benefit from historical records. This script does not include songs that already are rated low. The Catch-up one simply help you find old favourites, and give you a chance to rate them up as you see fit.

I feel this 0-5 Star stuff is based on lack of knowledge about the very powerful play list system in MediaMonkey. Try right clicking an AutoPlaylist, and select Edit AutoPlaylist. You’ll find a really fine system that you can tune exactly how YOU want it to be for filling up your iPod for example.

With that system you can take all sorts of factors into consideration, and get finely tuned play lists as a result.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I have split this topic in two as this is a different script. It's just neater if they both continue separately so people do not get confused.

As has been said before, everybody wants their ratings done differently. Personally I do not want to rely on an algorithm and prefer to do mine the hard way - each to their own! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
MM_Girl

please help!

Post by MM_Girl »

I am very in love with the idea of this script... want badly for it to work, however I am getting this error when I try to view the option sheet in tools > options > auto rate

Error #438 - Microsoft VBScript runtime error
Object doesn't support this property or method: 'CreateSpinLabel.Autosize'
File: ..\Scripts\Auto\AutoRateOptionSheet.vbs', Line: 441, Column: 4

After ignoring and checking 'Enable', I get this error:

Error #424 - Microsoft VBScript runtime error
Object required: 'Edt'
File: ..\Scripts\Auto\AutoRateOptionSheet.vbs', Line: 375, Column: 8

Can anyone help?
I assume I have something set up incorrectly, probably as plain as the nose on my face - as it seems no one else is having problems; however, I followed the instructions for install in this post (and I'm not a MM newbie).

Thanks so much...
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Try the new 2.5.3 RC3 (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9400) as it supports new scripting features which maybe are used by this script.

Bye
Big_Berny
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Are you using this version of the script: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... &start=221 (link from DiddeLeeDoo's signature)
Or is there a newer one available?
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
MM_Girl

Post by MM_Girl »

Thank You!!

Didn't have the latest version of MM. That's exactly what it was.

Steegy - yes, running latest version of DiddeLeeDoo's script (to my knowledge)

:oops:
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

MM_Girl: It was a pleasure! :D :oops:

Big_Berny AKA the Gentleman :wink:
MM_Girl

Post by MM_Girl »

Ok, since I am very new to scripting (a pro at installing them, but not a coder for sure :wink: ) - there is probably a better way to do this, but:

Just for kicks, I modified my Radio Announcer to quote the string for rating along with the artist/title.

This allows me to monitor the auto-ratings (or see if the song is rated or not) whilst I'm away from the machine.

Question: Is there a way to quote ratings without "plaintexting" them like I am doing in code snippet below? Using Itm.Rating of course quotes MM's version of the rating (20 stars, 80 stars and so forth).

Code:

Code: Select all

If Itm.Rating = -1 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & "Not yet rated."
End If

If Itm.Rating = 100 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & "5 Stars."
End If

If Itm.Rating = 90 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & "4.5 stars."
End If

If Itm.Rating = 80 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & "4 stars."
End If

If Itm.Rating = 70 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & "3.5 stars."
End If

If Itm.Rating = 60 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & "3 stars."
End If

If Itm.Rating = 50 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & "2.5 stars."
End If

If Itm.Rating = 40 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & "2 stars."
End If

If Itm.Rating = 30 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & "1.5 stars."
End If

If Itm.Rating = 20 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & "1 stars."
End If

If Itm.Rating = 10 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & ".5 stars."
End If

If Itm.Rating = 0 Then
  SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & "This song is a bomb."
End If
:D
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Something like this?

Code: Select all

Dim RatingText

If Itm.Rating = 0 Then 
  RatingText = "This song is a bomb." 
ElseIf Itm.Rating = -1 Then 
  RatingText = "Not yet rated." 
Else 
  RatingText = Itm.Rating/20 & " Stars." 
End If

SayThis = Itm.ArtistName & ", " & Itm.Title & ". " & RatingText
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
MM_Girl

Post by MM_Girl »

That did the trick. Thanks!

DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Thank you for bringing in a bit of fun and good culture here. Sun is up again as far as I'm concerned..

This was actually an amusing idea :)

Steegy, who initially gave the code for TTS, and I have talked about making the Text To Speech part a bit more configurable and fun, and it's nice to see how you've solved this one.

Other things that were in the original blue-print may come alive too.. Bring on the good culture!!
MM_Girl

Post by MM_Girl »

oh, pls do!! I think a highly configurable text-to-speech script would be loads of fun. Imagine what you could do with it at parties ;)

I would love to help if I can (altho as I've stated a gazillion times before, I am VERY much a newbie with the scripting. Might be a better beta-tester)
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

okay not sure where but you said some place that when some one found a good reason to include ratings for all the star counts to tell you.

well i think i did.?

in the way i use the media monkey player with the auto starting and auto playing of timed playlists.

when the time comes for the next playlist to be started and the previous one to be quit,
then what ever song is playing at that minute the new playlist starts will be canceled and cause the ratings to count it as a skipped song.
even though it was not skipped manualy.

and since i play them at random this last song can be any one in the librairy.

so that could be a good reason to have the control for the rating of the lower stars to be shown? :-?

could be that is but not sure of it? :o :roll:

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

There are ways to make the script figure out if you skipped a song because of a timer programmed skip of a song like in your case, or if it is in fact a user input skip of a song.

That is in my current draft of the next version. Just need to give it all some good testing and make sure it works with every scenario. In the draft is also all those things we talked about 5-6 weeks ago, plus some other more advanced features.

A couple of question. What do you read in a Zero stars (bomb) song. Do you read that as a song you only play 5 times a week, or maybe just once a week ?

What is a 1 Star song for you. How would you define your view of those smallest possible ratings a song can have?