Auto Rate by Playcount and Days in Library

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

@Teknojnky, yes, I realize the fault I've done by refreshing the database.:(

@Amerie: Do you think LastTimePlayed could be used in the AutoPlaylists?
That way you maybe able to listen to something new every week, or two.

Last Played > 14 Days Ago
Rating is >= 4.0 Stars
Added > 50 Days Ago
Added < 150 Days Ago
Played# < 10

and Set the Sort Order to Random for example.

May be a bit more flexible than a set calculation?

A luxury with MM really, choices..
Amerie

Post by Amerie »

@Steegy: No, although I'd probably add the thresholds to the script, I can work that out myself. I was more interested in whether anyone had a feel for what thresholds might make sense, but I had guessed that it was probably very dependent on music collection and listening habits.

@DiddeLeeDoo: I've tried using LastTimePlayed but given the proportion of my music collection to my iPod size, I lose out on having my favourites in the mix.

I generally have my autoplaylists set up by super genre (I use ELE, RCK etc in front of my genres) and/or mood. I have several favourites-based autoplaylists, but then I get sick of the same songs all the time (even if I do love them).

Also, I have a ridiculously eclectic music taste so the favourites mixes can be a little weird - even at their most normal, from Slipknot to Scooter to Chicago to Linkin Park can mess with a girl's head, especially when I'm trying to work.

I'm looking for a way to get a good distribution within certain boundaries.

And the luxury with MM really is the active development and end user input!
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Well, it often helps to be silly to reach good results..

In my case I could just as well do playcount * ratings which will produce high numbers for favorites.

AutoPlayList settings to
PlayCount > 1
Rating >= 3.5 Star

And set Sort Order to
Rating Decending
Played Decending

Max Amount 50 Tracks for example, and I'll have basically the same as the calculation would give me.

I see a devide happening....
Rating * Playcount = Large Numbers
Devide on AddedDate = Create Low Numbers according to Played Amount.

Basically the calculation leaves you with the latest added tracks that is played the most, and rated highest, which produce little variation in the list of songs... it's just that newly added songs will come higher up on the scale.. and if that is what is wanted, this calculation works out.
Added last, highest ratings and playcounts so far.

I sort of get the impression that it maybe more an issue of keeping top favorites, and mix up the lower range a bit...

(I maybe wrong again..... )

Added: So the idea is to let Ipod manual rating and playcount push them out of next weeks playlist... and let new candidates come in... Ahhh..... took me awhile... :lol:
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

DiddeLeeDoo wrote:@Teknojnky, yes, I realize the fault I've done by refreshing the database.:(
I know the feeling, I would have a 6+ month old library instead of ~4 months old if I had not cleared my library without backing it up several months ago.

But as I am constantly adding new material, its continued to progress my 'added' dates.

@ Amerie, you should try the MIP Mixer if you want some interesting mixes. It's quite neat to see what song lists it comes up with and its pretty configurable (more like this, less like that, etc).
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

That Added Date Number calculation is interesting and I look forward to how it ends up.

I think I would solve it by simply using the manual Star system on the IPod.

5 Stars = Come back next week
4 Stars + High PlayCount = virtual 4.5 Star (Used to be a 5 Star)
3 Star + High PlayCount = virtual 3.5 Star (Used to be a 4 Star)

That system may make you feel less hesitent to degrade a song you otherwise love.. ratings are a living thing anyways.

It took me 2 years with 'stuffing around' to get the collection properly organized, and when I recently came to full satisfaction, I felt like celebrating with a new database, but at least I know better now.. takes awhile to get to understand the monkey properly.

I tried that MIP Mixer not long ago, and it works well!
agentsmart

Post by agentsmart »

sounds like she wants an autoplaylist for top of the charts that works on the ipod?
like cowboy wanted for media monkey. 8)
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

It's all an interesting puzzle, and I'm sure between us we'll find solutions that makes MM the one to beat! I just had an ahhhhh! moment with Option Sheets, so I'll sit with that puzzle for a bit. :)
Amerie

Post by Amerie »

Not sure that I want a Top of the Charts playlist.

I have ~5000 songs. Of these 3500+ are rated 4 stars. I am looking for a way to not have to mess with that rating.... because logically that's what they should be (and I would go mad if I had to constantly update ratings for the purpose of variety), but to have some granularity inside that, based on playcount over time.

e.g. I might have two 4 star tracks that I have listened to 50 times. But one of them has been in my library for 6 months, whereas the other has been there for 1 month. I'm looking for a way to differentiate the two and use that in my autoplaylists... for many reasons, such as so that the first track ends up in my playlists more often and so that the second track takes it place in my popular playlists.

I think this script will work for that.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i seen what agentsmart saw.?

but i am not sure how to do a top of the charts list on the ipod?

how ever you did not understand the list on monkey if you read it.

the top of the charts on monkey does not mess with the ratings.

the playcount it resets does not mess with the ratings the ratings
script from diddeleedoo goes by it or by the history count. you make
it keep track of songs for a longer time then one day. it then uses
the history playcount. so that is why the ratings are not changed.

but still i am not sure if that is what you really need on the ipod.
your system seems to be more complicated then media monkeys.

still thanks to agentsmart for suggesting it as an idea?.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
CriticalTodd

Nice Script

Post by CriticalTodd »

Cool script.

Does this script autorun at MM start, trigger during playback, or do I have to manually fire it each time to update ratings?
Todd.

"I'll be over there, hanging out with Native American Joe Pesci."
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

This script is a manual script. It adds an "Calculate Rating" entry to the menu Tools > Scripts submenu, that starts te script.
When the script runs, it will rate all the selected songs using the rating formula. The result will be stored in the song's comment field.

If you want, it can very easily be changed to start when a song starts to play.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
CriticalTodd

Post by CriticalTodd »

Hey Steegy,

I'm a complete noob. Could you enlighten me on how to make that change to the script?

Thanks.
Todd.

Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Sure, this is a modification of the normal iRate script, so it rates a song when it starts playing.

You only need one file (CalculateRatingMod.vbs), in MediaMonkey's Scripts\Auto folder.

CalculateRatingMod.vbs (Autoscript for the Scripts\Auto folder)

Code: Select all

Option Explicit

Sub OnStartup

Script.RegisterEvent SDB, "OnPlay", "CalculateRating"

End Sub

Sub CalculateRating

Dim Song : Set Song = SDB.Player.CurrentSong

If Song.Rating = -1 Then 
        Song.Comment = (Song.PlayCounter / DateDiff("d", Song.DateAdded, Now)) * (1.5) * 1000 
    Else 
        Song.Comment = (Song.PlayCounter / DateDiff("d", Song.DateAdded, Now)) * (1 + (Song.Rating / 100)) * 1000 
    End If

Dim SongList : Set SongList = SDB.NewSongList
    Call SongList.Add(Song)
    Call SongList.UpdateAll 

End Sub
The

Code: Select all

If Song.Rating = -1 Then 
        Song.Comment = (Song.PlayCounter / DateDiff("d", Song.DateAdded, Now)) * (1.5) * 1000 
    Else 
        Song.Comment = (Song.PlayCounter / DateDiff("d", Song.DateAdded, Now)) * (1 + (Song.Rating / 100)) * 1000 
    End If
part is where the rating value gets added to the song comment, so that's the place for you to change stuff.

FAQ "How do I install scripts?": http://www.mediamonkey.com/faq/index.ph ... artlang=en

Cheers
Steegy
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
CriticalTodd

Post by CriticalTodd »

Thanks!

That's exactly what I needed.
Todd.

Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Hi CriticalTodd,
you could also try my Script AutorateAccurate which works very similar but has much more features: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10198

Big_Berny
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design