Absolute simplest way to network MM library to another room?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

titanik

Absolute simplest way to network MM library to another room?

Post by titanik »

What's the best way to do this? I'm guessing a cheap Windows 7 tablet with wifi access (read-only) to the MM library on my desktop? Then output with decent amplified speakers?
khelsing

Re: Absolute simplest way to network MM library to another r

Post by khelsing »

After having activated MediaMonkey's DLNA server, you have lots of choices:

1) a tablet or smartphone with Android and a UPnP/DLNA client software (2Player, UPnPlay, BubbleUPnP, iMediaShare);
2) an iPhone with a UPnP/DLNA client software (media:connect);
3) a netbook, nettop or tablet with Windows 7 and WMP 12;
4) a TV with a built-in UPnP/DLNA client;
5) a dedicated audio streaming box (Philips Streamium or Grace Solo, but no Squeezebox as Logitech's devices don't support UPnP/DLNA);
6) a UPnP/DLNA capable stereo component (Grace Tuner Wi-Fi Radio);
7) a video and audio streaming box (WD TV Live or Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex TV HD Media Player, but no Roku as these device don't support UPnP/DLNA).

If you want audio only options 5 and 6 IMO are the best.
cam123

Post by cam123 »

I've attempted Option 1 for now, using iMediaShare and my Android smartphone. I followed the steps in the Streaming your Library to Other Devices article (http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ervers/4.0).

iMediaShare on the phone now sees my MM library but all it does it go into LOADING mode, please wait.... and stays there. I have a huge library. Can that cause the delay? More importantly, do you know what I can do to get by this? I'm not finding much by way of Google searches,
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

cam123 wrote:iMediaShare on the phone now sees my MM library but all it does it go into LOADING mode, please wait.... and stays there.
iMediaShare indeed doesn't work very well with MediaMonkey (that's why I put it at the end of my list). IMO UPnPlay and 2Player are much better DLNA Clients.
cam123

Post by cam123 »

Okay, that took about 30 seconds to get UPnPlay working. Thank you. I'll also try 2Player tomorrow when I have more time.
YippieYeah

Post by YippieYeah »

I got UPnPlay working. Great stuff. Although UI lacks a bit of professinalism.

2Player doesnt work perfect. I can stream music to my android phone and play it.

But I cant play my PC's music on the laptop itself (remotely). Thats kinda weird. Are u guys experiencing the same issue?