Server "running" but not showing on the Media Server list

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Lakuos

Server "running" but not showing on the Media Server list

Post by Lakuos »

Hello all; I'm having issues seeing the shared MediaMonkey Server both locally and on the local network. I do see other servers on the network just fine. No other UPNP/DLNA servers are on this PC. I'm a gold license holder with ver 4.0.2.1462 on a Win XP sp3 machine.
  • Media sharing is checked "Enabled"
    Server is configured for all content, enabled is checked and the status is "Running"
    I'm currently have the server running on port 4000 to test locally but have tried other ports
    Access control is "Share Automatically. . . "
    Local web browser http://<Network IP address>:4000/DeviceDescription.xml does return a xml page and the web access does show in the status log
    For testing I've tried disabling the Firewall and Anti-virus but nothing has helped
I'm at a loss; thank you for your assistance in advance!
Lowlander

Re: Server "running" but not showing on the Media Server lis

Post by Lowlander »

Are you saying that MediaMonkey doesn't show its own Media Server in the Media Servers node?
Lakuos

Post by Lakuos »

Lowlander wrote:Are you saying that MediaMonkey doesn't show its own Media Server in the Media Servers node?
Correct. While I see other servers on the network within the node, I do not see MediaMonkey's own server.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Under Tools > Options > Media Sharing you have enabled:
Enable Media Sharing
and are showing a Media Server in Add Shares with the Enabled checkbox checked?

And in the Media Server configuration you have
Some Content enabled on the Content tab
and Share automatically with new devices on the Access Control tab enabled?
Lakuos

Post by Lakuos »

Lowlander wrote:Under Tools > Options > Media Sharing you have enabled:
Enable Media Sharing
and are showing a Media Server in Add Shares with the Enabled checkbox checked?

And in the Media Server configuration you have
Some Content enabled on the Content tab
and Share automatically with new devices on the Access Control tab enabled?
Yes, all correct. I also tried a quick uninstall/reinstall of MM but that didn't help. Is there a back end windows process or service I should look for or should this be in some log or in the .ini?

I was able to successfully run the MediaMonkey server on another machine in the house and that worked just fine. Something's specific to this machine (which happens to be my media server). Thanks for the help!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't know what could be causing this that even MediaMonkey can't see it's own server running.

Debug log (step 4b) send to support might help: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
Lakuos

[SOLVED] Server "running" not showing on the Media Server li

Post by Lakuos »

Lakuos wrote:Hello all; I'm having issues seeing the shared MediaMonkey Server both locally and on the local network. I do see other servers on the network just fine. No other UPNP/DLNA servers are on this PC. I'm a gold license holder with ver 4.0.2.1462 on a Win XP sp3 machine.
The root cause was within the Windows XP os; UPnP service is not installed by default.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941206
  1. [1]Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
    [2]Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    [3]In the Components window, click Networking Services, and then click Details.
    [4]Click to select the Internet Gateway Device and UPnP User Interface check boxes in the Subcomponents of Networking Services window, if they are not selected.
    [5]Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to complete the installation. Or, if you did not make any changes, close the Add or Remove Programs windows and Control Panel.
    [6]Start the Services MMC snap-in. To do this, click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    [7]Locate SSDP Discovery Service in the list of services.
    [8]If the status is not Started, double-click SSDP Discovery Service to open the SSDP Discovery Service Properties dialog box.
    [9]In the Startup type box, click Automatic, and then click Start under Service status. Then, close the SSDP Discovery Services Properties dialog box.
    [10]**RESTART the system
    [11]***RESTART your router
Once the router was restarted I was able to see the MediaMonkey Server both locally and on the network.

This wasn't my issue but if you continue to have issues, check your firewall settings as well http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886257
DNA

Re: [SOLVED] Server "running" not showing on the Media Serve

Post by DNA »

I had the same problem and am using Windows XP SP 3. I followed the steps above but discovered that XP DLNA was properly configured so that wasn't the problem. However, in the process of reading through the firewall information on the last link above, it dawned on me that I had 3 firewalls (XP, McAfee. and my D-Link router) but didn't realize that XP's firewall was still active. I turned that off and the MM server displayed in the Media Tree. I was then able to connect to the MM server from my DLNA client (a Panasonic Blu-ray player). Although it displays my audio and video MM library, it only plays some of the audio files (all of which are FLAC encoded) and none of my video files (which are in several different formats). At least I've made some progress thanks to this thread!

-David