Frustrated with volume leveling

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

d9amic

Frustrated with volume leveling

Post by d9amic »

Have never been able to get this to work!

Longtime user. All tracks in my library are volume analyzed. When I play tracks on my computer, MMW levels the playback volume as advertised. But if I stream to my Pioneer receiver, leveling doesn't work. If I stream to my WDTV box, leveling doesn't work. (I understand Chromecast is not supported, so haven't tried that.) And if I sync to my Android device for playback in the car, leveling doesn't work there either! Is anyone able to get this feature to work reliably, and if so, how?

More details:
MediaMonkey 4.1.19.1859 Gold
Play|Level Playback Volume is checked
Pioneer Receiver or WDTV is selected through Tools|Options|Player|UPnP/DLNA Renderer

My understanding from reading through various threads on here is the capability of my playback devices to read and act on MM's volume leveling coefficients may be the issue, but that this can be overcome by MM's ability to transcode formats on the fly. Just ask MM to transcode your files with volume leveling (through Tools|Options|Media Sharing (UPnP/DLNA)|servername|Options|Auto-Conversion) when streaming, right? Except I have found configuring the media server in this way has NO effect. If I select "Level volume when converting audio", there is no effect. If I add an auto-conversion rule to convert all audio, any bitrate with volume leveling, there is no effect. If I create a rule to convert everything to telephone-quality audio, there is no effect. If I examine the "Transcoded Media Files" temporary folder where auto-converted content is supposed to be cached, there are no files created. What am I missing?
Lowlander

Re: Frustrated with volume leveling

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, if you set it to Level Volume in the Media Server settings this should work for any DLNA streaming. Do make sure you didn't set any individual client settings to override the MediaMonkey Servers settings (by default per client settings are disabled). Do note that not all formats (like FLAC) support Volume Leveling.
d9amic

Post by d9amic »

How would I make individual client settings?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You don't need to do this and as you don't know how, you probably didn't. In the client list in the Media Sharing settings select a client and click Configure.