Onkyo TX-8160 DLNA No Worky?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

MR5x5

Onkyo TX-8160 DLNA No Worky?

Post by MR5x5 »

Just not getting it to happen...

Trying to stream to an Onkyo TX-8160. The Onkyo sees MM. MM sees and is pointed to the Onkyo via Tools>Options>Player. MM "Media Sharing" indicates running via Tools>Options>Sharing. Firewall (Avast) indicates MM is allowed. MM sees the music library and can play it locally on with the PC as the Player. Windows Media Player can cast to the Onkyo no problem.

Have done much reading... head is now reeling!

Maybe, simply, devise is just not supported....just seems so close though...

Sure appreciate any clues.

Thank you.
Lowlander

Re: Onkyo TX-8160 DLNA No Worky?

Post by Lowlander »

Can the Onkyo play from MediaMonkey when using the Onkyo to select files?
MR5x5

Post by MR5x5 »

Lowlander wrote:Can the Onkyo play from MediaMonkey when using the Onkyo to select files?
No. The Onkyo returns a message of "No Item" in all categories, i.e. Music, Artist, Genre, etc...

Some other stuff -
- In addition to being able to Cast from the Windows Media Player to the Onkyo, I can "pull" music directly from the PC using the Onkyo front end - so file sharing permissions seem in place.

-When I attempt to Play in MM the program indicates "Now Playing" but there is no other indication as such, i.e. no music timer count down, no progress on the bottom "Play Bar".
MR5x5

Post by MR5x5 »

...and if I am casting to the Onkyo via the Windows Media Player, and then attempt to play something from MM it interprets the Media Player stream....but does not play.
MR5x5

Post by MR5x5 »

...and and when casting to the Onkyo via Windows Media Player, MM shows the song being cast and its playback statistics in the Play Bar at the bottom. I find a bit of ironic humor in this!

Windows Media Player also sees MM as a target to cast to....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have any other DLNA clients to try?

Related: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... lna-server
MR5x5

Post by MR5x5 »

Problem Resolved - Went back to the beginning - loading media library. I had not done this previously. I misinterpreted MM populating my music directory structure in the "left panel" as having loaded them. This was further compounded in that MM would play to the PC directly...so certainly it must understand where the music is, right? Not!

Anyway, up and running now. Thank you for your help, it kept me engaged enough to keep after it.

Cheers
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The My Computer node always shows all supported files on the PC, even if they're not in the Library and the Now Playing node can also contain non-Library files.
MR5x5

Post by MR5x5 »

Not quite sure I get your point, but the only way I can get the Onkyo to work is by pointing to music loaded into the library. Sounds like you are saying that should not necessarily be the case?? Either way I've arrived a perfectly acceptable situation.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, I'm saying that's exactly how it works, but that MediaMonkey can show files even though they're not in the Library.