MediaMonkey Wifi Sync Not Working with pfSense Router and Multiple Networks

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

wre136

MediaMonkey Wifi Sync Not Working with pfSense Router and Multiple Networks

Post by wre136 »

I have recently swapped out my router at home with a pfSense router. With this change, I have also separated my wired LAN network from my wireless WLAN network. I've added open fire wall rules to all any and all traffic to go between those two networks (allow any to any, in both directions) and rules to allow them to send packets to 224.0.0.251 and 239.255.255.250 (which are multicast addresses I see both the server and client trying to reach). In addition to that, I have installed onto my pfSense router Avahi, a mDNS reflector service so that an object that uses mDNS on one network will be forwarded to the other network. I also have UPnP enabled on my router as well.

However, with all this configured, when I have my laptop connected to the wired LAN and I open MediaMonkey, my smartphone which has been working with wireless sync cannot find my laptop. If I disconnect the laptop from wired and connect it to wireless, my phone picks up right away (like it should if on the same network).

I guess my real question is does the WiFi sync feature of MediaMonkey have the ability to work if there is a router between the server and the client and if so, what protocols does it use or what rules would you think I need to add or change to allow it to work. Are there any additional settings on the server I should be looking into as well?
Peke

Re: MediaMonkey Wifi Sync Not Working with pfSense Router and Multiple Networks

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Check that your router do not filter WLAN <-> LAN communication which would explain the problem.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Re: MediaMonkey Wifi Sync Not Working with pfSense Router and Multiple Networks

Post by Lowlander »

DLNA only works on the same network, wifi sync is based on this as well, thus devices require to be on the same network for server to be found by client.

You may want to research if there is any way to get DLNA (discovery) to work in your setup.