How to sync MM library with a DLNA server on a NAS?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

YetAnotherLondonder

How to sync MM library with a DLNA server on a NAS?

Post by YetAnotherLondonder »

My music collection is on the same PC on which MediaMonkey is installed.

I’d like to move my collection to a NAS - probably a Synology DS218+, but any recommendation on whether other brands have better apps or support for music streaming would be appreciated – and have a few questions:

MediaMonkey will be able to read the collection on the NAS; but what DLNA server do you recommend setting up to stream music, and why? I’d like to set up the server on the NAS, rather than on the PC, so the server is always up and running (can’t leave this PC on all the time); this rules out using MediaMonkey as a server, unfortunately. Is it worth paying for something like Subsonic? Or is the standard server app that comes with a Synology or Western Digital NAS good enough?

I could also use my NVDIA Shield TV as a DLNA server (with the files stored on the NAS) but I'm not sure there would be any advantage over running the server directly on the NAS.

How easy is it to sync the MediaMonkey collection to the DLNA server? Can it be done automatically (eg the server periodically scans for changes)? For example, let’s say I add two folders to my MM collection; do I have to add them manually to the server on the NAS? How about syncing playlists? If I create or modify a playlist in MM, do I have to export it to m3u and import it manually into the DLNA server?

I wouldn’t want to use Plex because I understand there is no easy way to import music playlists.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

PS Still undecided if I should go for Sonos or Chromecast speakers, but that's a separate question.
Lowlander

Re: How to sync MM library with a DLNA server on a NAS?

Post by Lowlander »

There is no interaction between MediaMonkey and the DLNA Server. Both operate independently on the files. Most DLNA servers would scan periodically for changes or even pick them up as they're made. Start with the one included with the NAS (often Twonky) and see if that works for you.

The following Addon is useful to setup auto-exporting of Playlist from MediaMonkey: http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic. ... d+playlist You may have to do some trial and error on the Paths to be used (relative is likely what will work).