Can Media Monkey Android search a DLNA server? Or access and index files on a NAS?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

YetAnotherLondonder

Can Media Monkey Android search a DLNA server? Or access and index files on a NAS?

Post by YetAnotherLondonder »

I would like to move my music library to a NAS and run a DLNA server on it; Media Monkey Windows will be able to access the files on the NAS, so there shouldn't be problems moving the files from the PC to the NAS.

However, can Media Monkey Android search the content of a DLNA server? I haven't bought the NAS yet, so I tried running Kodi on my PC as a DLNA server. MM Android can access it but cannot search it (a search returns all files). Is this because the MM Android client simply doesn't support searching DLNA, or because the DLNA server must explicitly support it?

Depending on the answer, can you :
  • recommend a DLNA server that supports remote search and runs on a Synology or QNAP NAS?
    or
  • recommend an Android client that supports DLNA searches?
Alternatively, can Media Monkey Android read the files on the NAS and index the library on the NAS? It would be indexing the very same files in the very same location as Media Monkey Windows, and this way I'd skip the need for a DLNA server altogether.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Can Media Monkey Android search a DLNA server? Or access and index files on a NAS?

Post by Lowlander »

The Server needs to support search. MMA can't index NAS files, only files local to the device itself.

You'll see that MMA can do this when connecting the MMW server.
YetAnotherLondonder

Re: Can Media Monkey Android search a DLNA server? Or access and index files on a NAS?

Post by YetAnotherLondonder »

You mean that the MM client is better at searching when connected to a MM server than to any other DLNA server? The problem is that getting MM server to run on a NAS, which is effectively a Linux box, isn't straightforward, if I understand correctly
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, I mean that is shows that MMA can search on a DLNA server.