Headphone unplug only working every other time [#12231]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

zustellr

Headphone unplug only working every other time [#12231]

Post by zustellr »

Hi,

I have a very strange bug on my new Acer E700 phone (Android 4.4.2) with MediaMonkey (1.0.7.0309). Everthing works up to the point where I unplug the headphones. When I unplug them, the music keeps playing to the empty headphone socket (nothing is audible). I can plug them in again, and hear the music still playing. If I unplug them a second time, the music stops.

Looks like the phone does only recognize every other unplug event with MediaMonkey. The bad thing is that if I am in this "unplugged but the phone doesn't know" mode, the internal speaker is off and I can't hear anything, including phone calls (which is very annoying).

Current workaround is to check that the headphone symbol is correctly disappearing every time I unplug the headphones (or replug/unplug them if it is not).

The problem is not appearing in other apps, for example in Google Play Music.

Please advise.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Headphone unplug only working every other time

Post by Lowlander »

Send a debug log from MMA (from About screen) right after you experience the failed unplug.
zustellr

Post by zustellr »

Done.

P7SII33DIV -> Missed unplug event during pause
L4EWCKZ7R9 -> Missed unplug event during play

Thanks!
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Zuztellr,

One other question: do you have some sort of headphone manager app running (you mentioned that a headphone symbol appears/disappears in the notifications bar, so I assume that some sort of app is being used to trigger playback on headphone insertion)? What is it?

-Rusty
zustellr

Post by zustellr »

Hi Rusty,

I did not install any special app. This phone, however, does include a "DTS Studio Sound" feature that is always active (only option is to not apply the effects; the DTS thingy is active regardless and I don't know any way to disable; the phone is not rooted).

One more thing: Last time I tried, this problem was only with MediaMonkey. Other audio players, like Google Play Music, did correctly pause and "de-headphone" on disconnect.

Thanks,

a.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks.

We're tracking this at: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12231

-Rusty
zustellr

Re: Headphone unplug only working every other time [#12231]

Post by zustellr »

It may be a phone specific problem, not limited to MediaMonkey. Others have also noticed the problem and documented this at http://community.acer.com/t5/Smartphone ... 38#U295138
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the update. The developer responsible for this bit confirmed as much--MMA is using an android API for this, and it would appear that the phone isn't correctly updating the headset status.

I suppose that this means that the issue occurs with some other apps as well?

-Rusty
zustellr

Post by zustellr »

Hi,

yes, the problem also appears in other apps. I did not notice it at first, because the problem is time dependent. If you just plug in and plug out again, it works. If you plug in, listen for some time, and plug out then, it does not work. I also checked with other build levels of the same phone and found that the earlier version had the opposite problem ("phantom" unplugs). This is a wild guess, but I think they tried to fix some hardware problem and went a little bit overboard...

Thanks for the help. I think the issue can be closed as it is not specific to MMA.

Have a great weekend,

a.