Chromecast Support? [#11830]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

gpzbc

Chromecast Support? [#11830]

Post by gpzbc »

I searched the forum but didn't see anything. Are there any plans for Chromecast support? I would love that feature. Thanks!
--
The gpzbc
rusty

Re: Chromecast Support?

Post by rusty »

It's on our to do list, but we're prioritizing it lower than some of the improved media management features.

Thanks.

-Rusty
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I understand. Hopefully it will creep up that list. Chromecast seems to be gaining some popularity, at least as far as I can tell.
Thanks!
--
The gpzbc
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I think the biggest problem will be file format support as the Chromecast supports barely anything. Thus for it to work you either need your media in a supported format on your device or for MMA to be able to auto-convert (wouldn't that be wonderfull) on streaming.

http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11830
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Really? I really don't understand how Chromecast works but I know that I can play all of my mp3 files on my laptop, via dlna, through BubbleUPnP, to Chromecast. Likewise, I can play all of the mp3 files located on my phone via Play Music.
--
The gpzbc
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I haven't checked out audio support, but I'd be surprised if MP3 weren't supported. However as far as I'm aware BubbleUPnP can transcode.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Just keep in mind that you can still play audio to the chromecast via MMA if you just cast the screen. It's not perfect, but it works until full chromecast support makes it into mma.

-Rusty
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Unfortunately Casting your screen is a feature that is only available on select devices at this time. :(
https://support.google.com/chromecast/a ... 9461?hl=en
--
The gpzbc
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Google has now added Chromecast support for my Galaxy S3, so I tried to use it with MMA.

I usually cast my phone as the first step. I then start up MMA, and it shows up on the TV as expected (Artist menu, Album menu, etc), until I try to actually play a track. Then the MMA screen goes black, and the app is unresponsive to any touches or the menu button.

I have to press the Home button and then go into Manage Applications to stop the app. Then, if I try starting MMA again, I can sometimes get it to work: i.e., play music through my TV's sound system. Sometimes I have to pre-load MMA, then cast the phone, then start to play a track to get it to work. I can always eventually get it, but the same way doesn't always work.

I created a debug log after killing MMA and restarting it since I was unable to do it when it hung. So I don't know if this log will be helpful: E2HHO7F2KJ

Let me know if you'd like me to try anything else. This feature is very useful to me so I can enjoy music in our living room, and I appreciate that true Chromecast support has to wait; but hopefully this is a simple fix since once it starts to work, I can play any music I like for hours, as long as I don't exit MMA.

Thanks,
Dennis
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Dennis,

I just did some testing of the Chromecasting support on an S3 and Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and it's really quite unstable--not just for MM, but also for other apps. i.e. it's probably not worth trying to 'fix' this in MM since the problem appears to be that chromecast screen casting functionality isn't yet released (it's still in beta) on those platforms.

-Rusty
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Thanks for checking, Rusty.

I had not noticed the problem with other apps, so I assumed the problem was with MMA.

I'll try reporting it to the Chromecast folks.

Dennis
rogerr

Post by rogerr »

Now that there is an audio only version of chromecast, can this be re-assessed? Enabling MM to be my primary home music player is a goal I have not yet been able to accomplish.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

+1
--
The gpzbc
TahoSkiBum

Post by TahoSkiBum »

+1 for adding new chromecast audio support: http://www.google.com/chromecast/speakers/
BronyFurChrist

Post by BronyFurChrist »

I for one welcome the addition of Chromecast streaming. I have my entire music library synced via OneDrive to my laptop, and until Microsoft Groove gains Chromecast support, MediaMonkey is my best bet (and will always remain my preferred music player).