Recovering missing tracks

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

dave148

Recovering missing tracks

Post by dave148 »

Unfortunately my last sync came while having the beta version with the regression on the sync function. I've now updated, but at the moment although all the tracks (14572) appear to be on the SD card, only 8900 are showing up on MM. I've done a re-sync, and a check for new /changed media, but neither seems to be helping. I'd appreciate knowing how I can fix this, thanks.
rusty

Re: Recovering missing tracks

Post by rusty »

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure which regression you're referring to (I don't thing there were any that would explain this particular problem). Also, can you provide a bit more detail?
- What version of MMW? Did the problem occur after you updated MMW?
- What version of MMA? Did the problem occur after you updated MMA?
- What device/version of Android?
- Does your SD card have a lot of empty space on it?
- Is there any pattern re. which tracks have disappeared?
- Was the problem triggered by a USB sync or Wi-Fi sync?

Thanks.

-Rusty
dave148

Post by dave148 »

Ok, have done a considerable amount of work on this, but to no avail.

First of all am currently running the latest versions of MMW and MMA on Samsung Galaxy S3. All of my tracks (or virtually all) are on the external SD card - a 128GB card with 50GB spare. However only half the tracks show up on Media Monkey after a previous sync over wifi a handful of versions of MMA ago. Updating the library doesn't work, the tracks that are on the SD card but not in MM are not picked up. Doing a new sync does not work as the tracks are being put in a /music subdirectory even though this is not listed in the profile, and all of my files are in the / directory of the SD card - thus this will fill up my SD card with duplicate tracks. I think the only option I can see is to delete all of the contents of the SD card and start again, but hoping that is not the case.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Can you confirm that:
- The relevant directories are all selected in Options > Choose library folders ?
- Whether you can see the missing content in Google's Music app?
I'm guessing that the content isn't even in the MediaStore (i.e. the Android OS isn't aware of it).

Is it possible that you experienced an OS upgrade between the original sync and more recent syncs? An upgrade to Kitkat would have changed permissions, causing MMA to be unable to write to any directory other than a MediaMonkey-specific directory which could have triggered a profile update.

If you post a log ID generated immediately after a Wi-Fi sync (About MediaMonkey > Send logs), it might help us identify the problem.

Otherwise, you can just delete the profile / data and resync :-(

-Rusty
dave148

Post by dave148 »

Ok, just sent through the debug log. Basically the problem has recurred.

So, I hooked up to do a USB sync and that deleted the files on the SD card that were not being picked up by MM. I then completed a couple of wi-fi syncs to restore (more or less) all tracks to the SD card and library. As at that point yesterday I had around 14500 tracks on the SD card and in the library.

As of a moment ago I now have 12900 tracks in the library - so over 1500 have disappeared in the last 24 hours since the last sync. They are still on the SD card. But testing on the stock player (I'm on cyanogenmod so it is Apollo) one missing track is not there either.

Now fully puzzled and hoping for a solution...
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

The only possibility that I can think of is that the SD card sometimes unmounted and MMA consequently thinks that content is being erased because it can't find it. We've seen such issues in the past on some devices, but thought that all such issues had been resolved.

Also, can you try doing a Wi-Fi sync and see if the bug occurs after a Wi-Fi sync as well ?

Thanks.

-Rusty
dave148

Post by dave148 »

It looks like yesterday's update has fixed the issue. During today MM 'found' 1500 tracks that it had lost yesterday, and having done a couple of wifi syncs today I am now more or less in the right place (still some duplicates and a few missing tracks by the looks of things, but nothing too dramatic). Plus the number of tracks listed when going to folders no longer seems to be going down each time I look at it. Good work whatever it was!
dave148

Post by dave148 »

Unfortunately this problem has recurred. At my last sync I had 14600 tracks, roughly correct, actually a few too many. A week on I have 7524. Every time MMA runs it appears to be doing a scan and losing more files (in the time since typing this message it is now down to 7389). No change to the music on the SD card, I have 50GB free there.

I will run another sync later and see where we get to, but there is clearly a problem with the library scan that MM is carrying out. sent debug log G92HTCRYVM.
dave148

Post by dave148 »

There is also a (possibly related?) error I am getting on sync. Although the device profile is set up to sync to extsdcard/<albumartist> etc, on some syncs the tracks instead go to /extsdcard/music/<albumartist> etc. This was a previous issue I had when I first stated using MMA to sync but had subsequently appeared to have been fixed.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I hate to suggest this but is it possible that you are having a problem with the 128g card? I have read in other forums (not related to MM) this of this nature with the larger cards.
I would suggest trying a 64g card if you can and see if the same thing happens
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
dave148

Post by dave148 »

Always possible it's a card fault, but I didn't have an issue until January or so this year, so less likely I'd say. Stable for the last few days and at the moment I am testing different approaches - it does seem to be less likely to occur with a USB sync than a wireless sync which may be a clue.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I had issue where after phone restart all of data on my card was lost (phone wanted to format it). Never new what happened as I done RAW search of card sectors and recovered files.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dave148

Post by dave148 »

Just running a wifi sync now. The screen claims I need to sync 2921 tracks, which is roughly the difference between the number of tracks listed on my MMW library, and the number listed on MMA. However many of the tracks are already on the phone SD card, and in this case it appears that instead of putting the files into the default directory (extsdcard/) they are being put into a subdirectory (extsdcard/music/). I don't know what then happens to the MMA database, but I'd hazard a guess that it wouldn't be too good and could easily cause the problems down the line.

Sounds therefore like the wifi sync should be checking if the file is already on the SD card even if not in the library?