Duplicate Ghost Tracks and Album Art not showing

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Rednroll

Duplicate Ghost Tracks and Album Art not showing

Post by Rednroll »

Device and MM version details
MMW v4.1.20.1864 (Portable Install)
PC= Dell 7570 Inspiron Laptop (i7-8550U, 24GB RAM)
MMA Pro v1.3.1.0751
Sync to Device: Samsung EVO Plus 256GB MicroSD card (exFat Formatted)
Device: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Android OS: v7.0, SW ver: G935PVPS5BRA1

For the life of me I can't find anything I'm doing wrong but on my Android phone with the MicroSD card plugged into it, when using MMA, I am seeing duplicates of all my music tracks, as well as duplicate playlists. However, one listing of the music track is the actual song, proceeded by a duplicate ghost track listing. Also, the majority of my Album art is not being displayed in MMA although the Album Art shows up as being present in my library when viewing it through MMW.

Here are some examples of what I'm seeing in MMA.

Here are what those same music files in my Library look in MMW.

Here are those same files when looking at them on the MicroSD card and having it plugged into my PC and using Windows Explorer to view the files.

Here are my Sync Settings in MMW for the MicroSD card that I'm syncing to.

So here's what I did to get to this point.
1. Plugged 256GB MicroSD card into PC, In MMW, set up autosync and selected library content to sync to MicroSD card.
2. Selected Apply>AutoSync and let MMW crunch away syncing my library content to the MicroSD card until complete.
3. Plugged MicroSD card into Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and then launched MMA Pro.
4. Let MMA scan the contents of the MicroSD card.
5. After MMA finished scanning, observed above listed problems of ghost tracks and a majority but not all my songs not showing album art although I'm 99.9% certain all my media files have album art present.
6. Attempted to fix the problem by syncing library again by using MMA Pro Wifi sync.
7. Observed problems still existed.
8. Went into options of MMA and verified my music folder on the microSD card which contains all my music files was selected and was granted to include in the MMA library.
9. In options in MMA, selected "Check for new/changed media" and let MMA re-scan my library on the MicroSD card and let finish completing the scan.
10. Problem still exists of duplicate ghost tracks and missing album art on a majority of music files.

Any ideas of what is going on, and how I can fix these problems?

In MMA, I am able to select the duplicate greyed out ghost tracks and choose to delete them and that seems to stop the duplicate ghost tracks from being displayed, but when I have 22K songs on the MicroSD card along with 22K duplicate ghost songs, that can be a bit tedious and time consuming.

I posted this in the MMA bug section because it seems like a bug.
Thanks!
Rednroll

Re: Duplicate Ghost Tracks and Album Art not showing

Post by Rednroll »

Ok, I did a Wifi sync again but this time I selected to enable "Delete all unselected content".

After finished syncing, I got this message which seemed encouraging.

The result was that many of the duplicate ghost tracks went away, yet still quite a few exist.

My playlists now look like this.

Where all those playlists above which don't show album art are a playlist with none of the songs properly linked. As an example, here's what a playlist looks like that doesn't show the album art as being present on the prior playlist selection screen.

So I've now taken 1 step forward and 2 steps back, where it now seems the MMA DB has broken links to most of the audio on the SD card on my phone.
Last edited by Rednroll on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

I purchased the Samsung 256GB EVO PLUS microSD card for my phone, so that I could finally retire my 160GB iPod Classic. I previously was using a 128GB microSD card with MMA with about 5K of songs and everything worked fine except the 128GB MicroSD card was not large enough to hold my entire 22K song library. I got the card, so I didn't have to pick and choose the music content I put on my phone.

My Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone officially supports up to a 256GB capacity MicroSD card, but so far MMA seems like it is unable to handle properly indexing that many songs.
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

An observation I'm starting to make as I'm going through every album and deleting the duplicate ghost tracks within MMA is that all the ghost tracks seem to appear in a playlist.
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

This is becoming really frustrating. I've decided to try and start fresh but even that hasn't been so easy.

I uninstalled MMA and MMA Pro from my device. I then deleted all the music files off of the MicroSD card. I also went into MMW and deleted the sync profile associated with my phone. I then re-installed MMA Pro, which started scanning upon 1st start up. I was thinking it would find nothing since all music was deleted off of my microSD card plugged into the phone. However, that is not the case. Somewhere even after uninstall, MMA seems to be leaving a DB file around on the device which is containing all these ghost tracks. I don't know where this file is stored so I can't truly start fresh. THIS IS A PROBLEM! So what I am doing is manually deleting all the music in MMA which isn't actually present on the device, it's just present in the MMDB. What's worse is that I thought this might be quick in that I could select to delete the songs by selecting and deleting by Artist...but NO that doesn't work quite the way you would expect. I have to instead select by albums and manually deleting that way to get the songs that aren't present out of the MMA DB.

All this, so I can try to get MMA Pro to sync properly.
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

I think I understand how these ghost tracks are present.

1. MMA was previously synced with music files on 128GB MicroSD card (approx. 5000 songs and associated Playlists).
2. That card was removed and replaced with a 256GB MicroSD which was synced with MMW (22K songs and associated Playlists).
3. MMA was synced via a WIFI sync as well and although sync settings were to delete all content not in library sync profile, MMA did not delete that content from its database and they are now appearing as ghost tracks since the associated files are no longer stored on MicroSD card.

The ghost tracks are what was left behind from when MMA was originally synced with the content on the 128GB MicroSD card, and even uninstalling MMA on my device did not remove the DB file on my device.

So are these settings of "Delete unselected content copies" and "Delete all unselected content" not working properly?
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

So now I have gone through and manually deleted all the ghost tracks in MMA. The 256GB card is inserted in the phone.

Here are my Library Folders that MMA is looking at on the 256GB MicroSD card to scan.

And now that I've gone through and manually deleted all the ghost tracks to wipe them from the MMA DB, this is what I'm seeing. (ie No content, like I would expect)

So now it seems I'm truly starting with a clean slate with MMA on my phone.

It seems MMA needs some improvements in the following areas.
1. If you uninstall MMA, it should not leave anything behind on the device such as old and outdated database files.
2. Delete unselected content in the sync profile, should delete unselected content from the database file like the check boxes describe.
3. When Selecting content by "Artist" in MMA and then choosing to "Delete", it should delete all the DB entries and content for that artist as expected. It does not delete all the content for that particular artist. It seems to delete one of the albums under that Artist higher archy heading. It should delete all songs for that artist.

Please fix.

So now, I'm going to try this again via a MMA Wifi Sync and see if things start displaying in MMA as expected.
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

It took me quite a lot of trouble shooting and effort but it seems like everything is finally working as expected in MMA.

My list of Playlists now look like this:

and my artist list now looks like this:

Duplicate ghost tracks are now gone which in turn allows all the associated album art to be displayed.
boenievd

Post by boenievd »

Hi, I'm having the same issue but am not 100% understanding how you resolved the issue. Could you please give me more details?

Thanks
connection failed

Post by connection failed »

Same here. I've always thought iTunes was a PIA, but this MM syncing is just as bad.
Why so complicated? Just ask me what is the master (PC or Phone) and then sync the two. It's not that hard.