nothing happening when video is selected to play in android auto

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

xbmcgotham

nothing happening when video is selected to play in android auto

Post by xbmcgotham »

hi, when i select a video within android auto to play, it will register me clicking the play button, but nothing happens.

i made 2 small videos to upload if you like.

running the latest android auto and mediamonkey on a meizu m6 phone. displayed on a 2018 kia car.

please let me know how to fix this. thanks
Lowlander

Re: nothing happening when video is selected to play in android auto

Post by Lowlander »

Is there any other App that plays video when using Android Auto?
xbmcgotham

Post by xbmcgotham »

if you mean installed on the phone, than yes. if you mean running in the background when android auto is open, than i have to say that i will need to check this and come back to you. 🙂
xbmcgotham

Post by xbmcgotham »

I tested without any other video players running in the background.

This made no difference. I than did a few times reopening android auto and found that on one occasion it suddenly worked but only I could hear the music through the car speakers, not the video on the screen.

I decided to reconnect again to try if this would fix the video. However, reconnecting would give the same freezing problem. Than I minimised the android auto on the phone and go to media monkey, I clicked play on the phone and the sound played again through the car speakers and the controls on the car display worked again (unfreezed).

I found out that the freezing would occur if the phone is in the android auto mode. Only taking it out of the android auto mode would allow for mediamonkey to operate. This must have also been the reason it worked initially as I had mediamonkey open when operating the car screen.

So we have 2 issues that I can see:
1. Mediamonkey can't operate correctly if the phone is operating in the "normal" android auto mode. This is in my setup happening and would not to be address to make it work 100%.
2. Only audio is being played. No video is shown. This would also be addressed to have a 100% working experience.

Looking forward to your response on a way of fixing the issue on the setup I have.

Thanks again.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, I meant if any other video App can play videos in Android Auto (not if they're running). So Android Auto does play video from other Apps (ie. it has the capability)?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is very possibly blocked as it is most common that Video playback is not allowed when driving.

My head unit have System Switch and I get BIG warning when I enable it.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
xbmcgotham

Post by xbmcgotham »

Hi, thanks for the response.

Not sure what to do with this information.

Their are 2 issues that need to be addressed of which the first one seems to be related to some connectivity issue within the code that is used to integrated mediamonkey into android auto.

The second might be related to android auto blocking playing of videos through its app. However, the only way to know this is for the mediamonkey android auto integration developer(s) to check with google or its code manual to see what its policy is on this.

Looking forward to have at least issue one resolved as soon as possible. :-)

Thanks again.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I doubted that Android Auto can play video files in the first place, which is why I asked if other Apps are able to accomplish this in Android Auto. A quick search finds no evidence that this is supported.

Are you saying you have issues when running both the Android Auto App on the phone and in the car unit? This would seem to be an incorrect use (ie. you need to use one or the other).
xbmcgotham

Post by xbmcgotham »

Hi,

I am not sure about other video players on android auto, I only found yours, so that already might answer your question.

As for the integration of media monkey into android auto:

Mediamonkey will not work and is "frozen" within android auto when using it completely within android auto app on the car screen.

Only when I go into my phone (getting out of the "android auto" "screen saver") and focus on mediamonkey will the media monkey/android auto app projected onto the car screen "unfreeze" and start to work. When the phone goes into the "android auto" "screen saver" mode again, the media monkey/android auto app projected onto the car screen "freezes" again.

Hope this explanation helps you find the problem.

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Send a debug log from About in MMA after you experience this and respond here with a logID.

It works fine for me, but I use the Android Auto App on the same phone.