SD card sync problems

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

mcow

SD card sync problems

Post by mcow »

I recently upgraded to a Moto X4, with an SD card. When I first set up MMA, I sync'd all the media to the SD card.

The other day, I was tweaking camera software and somehow the card became corrupted; I had to reformat it. When I opened MMA, all the entries for the tracks I'd originally sync'd were greyed out. When I attempted to re-sync, the card had a new identity, and so a new entry was created for it in MMW; I had to re-establish the options and the auto-conversion rule (FLAC to MP3) and re-assign the playlists to it.

Then it spent several hours re-syncing the music (~1800 tracks, some originally MP3 and some FLAC, about 9GB on the SD card). When this was done, I had two problems:
  • 1) All the older track entries were still there, with the path rooted in the original ID of the card, and greyed out, alongside the new entries with the path rooted in new ID of the card.
    2) Album art was missing for numerous albums. (The option, which I did not change from default: [x] Sync all artwork to folders: albumart.jpg.)
My first attempt to fix this was to try to sync again. This resulted in about 755 tracks being re-sync'd. This was another hour or so. When it was done, I still had duplicate entries for albums. I noticed, however, that now the albums that had been sync'd again showed both entries enabled, rather than one greyed out.

Then I realized I had missed one option when configuring the "new" SD card: I'd forgotten to enable "Delete other files". So I set this option, and sync'd again. This time, the Sync setup showed "preparing confirmation dialog", but I never saw a confirmation dialog -- presumably, nothing was selected for deletion.
However, another 33 tracks were re-sync'd as before. Since these were relatively few, I could watch them, and I know that these were all FLAC files being re-converted to MP3.

755+33 is 788, which I can see from MMA is the total number of FLACs in the conversion list. I tried Sync one more time, and this time no tracks were re-sync'd. I'm assuming for the moment that it's stable.

SO, NOW

Looking at MMA, I see that:
  • * The albums converted from FLAC do not have album art, and all have two enabled entries for each track; each of these has the same path, rooted in the same SD card ID. When I examine the contents of the folders on the card, there is no albumart.jpg in any of the the folders.
    * The albums originally from MP3 have one disabled and one enabled entry for each track, with different path roots. These albums show the album art.
On MMW, I have a smart playlist with one rule:

Code: Select all

Synchronization status, is synced to, Moto X4 SD Card
This playlist is empty.

I went into one of the originally-MP3 albums, selected all the greyed entries, and selected Delete; the entries disappeared, with no errors or anything else.
mcow

Re: SD card sync problems

Post by mcow »

What I want to know is:

How do I make only one, correct, enabled entry appear for each for the tracks?

How do I get the album art in place for the FLAC albums?

How do I get MMW to recognize the synch status of the tracks?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You can remove Grayed Storage in Folder Browser, Things/Issues you are talking about are addressed in MMA 2.0.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

First of all, please go to MediaMonkey->Files folder and get the mmstore.db file. Please send it to me, e.g via PM. I will examine the artwork paths.

Then you should go to Options->Choose library folders. There you can find the path to these greyed tracks. Because it is not valid anymore, you can remove it here and all these greyed tracks will dissappear.
mcow

Post by mcow »

A couple of weeks ago, my phone got an upgrade from Android 8.0 to 8.1. This caused the SD card to get a new internal device ID, leading to a similar situation as the corrupted SD I mentioned before.

I was pretty pleased to see that MMA was able to mostly deal with this very well. It recognized tracks were missing, offered to locate them on the existing device, and seemed to do that correctly. I have been syncing every week or so since and have not had to re-sync the entire library; album art is all in place. Thank you for putting in the effort on this.

The one issue I see now: even tho the library appears to be all in order, MMA has occasionally shown me a notification offering to find the missing tracks; I think it's the same number of tracks as the original notification showed. As far as I can see, the missing tracks have been entirely accounted for; it's as if a flag for the broken condition has been persisting without being cleared. I can clear the notification, and it's otherwise causing no problems.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
as soon as MMA reports notification and get it fixed, can you please send us debug log from MMA ... -> About MediaMonkey -> Send logs and just before you tap OK write down LOG ID Here so that we can pair it with this report.

Also I wonder if MMA asked for SDCard permission after upgrade?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts