MMA not working on lockscreen

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

jaroclay

MMA not working on lockscreen

Post by jaroclay »

*** reposting - originally posted under old account. Email defunct so had to create a new account. Records updated so this won't happen again. ***

I apologize if this has been addressed before - hour or so of searching found no issue like this. I thought it was due to the recent upgrade to Android v8.0 but have ruled that out.

For some reason, MMA when first installed will show the song being played on my Always On Display and a mini player on my lockscreen. Everything works fine until I either pause or the player times out (notification bar). Any song I play after this does not appear on the Always On Display and the mini player on my lock screen is frozen showing the last song that played prior to pausing/time out. The buttons (e.g. play, pause, next/previous track) but do not change on the screen - pausing still shows the play button.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 running Android v8.0.0, and Samsung Experience 9.0. This is the device having this issue. I figure it has to be an app, but have only checked a few that I thought may be the culprits.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 with the same Android and Samsung Experience versions. This does not have the Always on Display. MMA on my lockscreen works fine. Aside from a few phone specific apps and games, the same apps are on both devices.

I am a MM gold user and have used MM for many years. Once MMA was released, i purchased the pro version and I have used that on all my Android phones with no issues. This issue did not appear until recently.

I did try the beta version which appeared to resolve the issue, but it did not. The only way I have found to fix this is delete MMA and reinstall.

I really do not wish to do a factory reset but will if I must. Thank you for your time and attention.

Jeff

ADDENDUM: so I have been trying to figure this out on my own. The phone must have heard me as it seems to be working correctly now. I did get the issue to repeat if I start MMA, leave it running in the background, then lock my screen. I typically leave MMA running so I can swap to another playlist. If I dismiss MMA after starting the song, all is well. Of course, I tried to repeat this to confirm this was the problem and failed. It worked.

Am I the only person experiencing this?

UPDATE 6/22/18:

I am unsure what is going on as I deleted MMA and the MMA Pro (something I did not do previously), deleted all MediaMonkey directories, rebooted my phone, and reinstalled MMA and MMA Pro. At first, everything was working as it should - lockscreen and always on display were showing the correct info. As long as I leave MMA running, everything is fine, but once I exit MMA and start it up at a later time, the issue returns. I have noticed that when I exit MMA, I get a notification from my phone that it is using a large amount of my battery. I will investigate to see if Android has put some locks one MMA.

I am not giving up on MMA but it would be nice to see what is playing by glancing at my screen. It perplexes me why other music/media apps do not exhibit this behavior - only MMA. I noticed there has not been an update since 2/2018 - any news on when the Beta will be released? I thought about signing up for the Beta program but saw I would have to do so with MMW.

Any thoughts based on this information? I would appreciate it if someone would reply even to say we do not know what the issue is. Thanks!
jaroclay

Re: MMA not working on lockscreen

Post by jaroclay »

Well, I did a factory reset the other day and am sad to report that this did not fix this frustrating and irritating issue. My only conclusion is one of the pre-installed apps from Samsung or T-Mobile (the ones you cannot disable or delete) or a code bug in MMA (supported by other music apps I have tried - 10+ from the playstore - with all but MMA working fine).

MMA works fine when first opened. But, once I pause or stop the music but do not exit the app seems to break things. The only way I can fix it is to delete MMA and the MediaMonkey directories on my phone and re-install.

This defeats the purpose of using MMA on my phone as I am constantly redoing my sync. As much as I l like MMA, I find that I must look for an alternative as there appears to be no solution for this.

When I see MMA updated, I will give it another go.

ADDENDUM: I forgot to mention that MMA works fine on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 which has the same apps installed minus the ones mentioned above. Go figure...