Setting up a specific SD card folder location for wifi synchronisation

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

MusicKing

Setting up a specific SD card folder location for wifi synchronisation

Post by MusicKing »

Hello guys,

When I sync my android A5 phone using a wifi connection, It writes all the folders (playlists, video's, artist folders etc.) directly in the SD card main location, which gives a big mess. So I've created my own 'Mediamonkey' folder for it in the main SD card location and in the MMA menu I went to 'Options --> Choose library folders --> SD card' and there is 'SD card (all)' selected. Then I've deleted that 'SD card (all)' and for the next step I added (the + button) my own 'MediaMonkey' folder and SELECT it. When going back to the 'Library folders' menu, it is now selected.

But as soon as i start with a new sync attempt, the files are still being written on the main SD card location instead of my selected 'MediaMonkey' folder. When I later return to the 'Library folders' menu, SD card (all) is there again and my folder has just disappeared, which is very annoying since I was pressuming it did everything in the right order.

So to put a long story short: put ALL the MM files under my own created 'MediaMonkey' folder on the SD card instead of the main SD card location.

Hopefully you guys understand what I've just explained. If not, just ask me. I can also send screenshots.

Help would really be appreciated. If I can get this fixed, wifi sync would be a succes. If not, it's just a messy disaster.

Thank you in advance.
Lowlander

Re: Setting up a specific SD card folder location for wifi synchronisation

Post by Lowlander »

You need to set the sync folder. This may be easiest in MMW where under Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync you can configure the Device Profile and set where the different content should be synced to your device.
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Thank you, found it. But now another question:

When i rate some songs om my phone in MMA, and later I sync it with MMW, the MMW ones aren't rated. How do I fix that?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MMW and MMA and did you do a wifi sync? Ratings should sync back, but you'll need to be up-to-date with both MediaMonkey's.
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

MMW: 4.1.23.1881
MMA: 1.3.2.0824

Maybe some (sync) settings in MMW or MMA that I missed?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you need to enable the option to Auto-sync file metadata from device to PC (in MMW). I'm not sure if the Ratings sync was fixed in MMW or in MMA (if MMA, you'll need 1.3.3 beta).
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Thanks, this worked for me. Now everything is running fine.

But don't you agree with me that MM is really user-unfriendly? Like really user unfriendly? Especially when it comes to setting up external devices like an Ipod, phone, USB stick etc. I know, there are help files on the web on how-to get the basic things done, but not a step-by-step guide.

With MM, you can do nearly anything when it comes to music management. But before you get there, the learning curve is pretty steep. I definately would recommend to gather all your help files, rewrite them to a full step-by-step guide and them add them all to 1 mayor instruction manual. (Or you can make the program as a whole much more intuitive).

This way, new users can learn this program much quicker and existing users can easily expand their knowledge with easy to learn/read basics of other MM tools. Else, new users will probably be scared of and go to music programs like Spotify.

Moreover, I think if you would put this idea in a poll, I would be very curious how it would be received by the other forum users. Maybe you don't like my idea, maybe you think it is too much work. But I think that MM can reach a much higher level, just think about it please (or even better, discuss it with your development department).

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by MusicKing on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't agree nor disagree. If you want something specific, like you're trying, then the amount of options MediaMonkey provides can be daunting, but generally getting a sync to work for most devices is as simple as selecting what to sync and then start sync. Once you get into the options it can get complicated, but that's the consequence of the amount of flexibility MediaMonkey allows.

Whenever I use something simpler to use I'm frustrated I can't do what I want.
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Yes, when you're going to explain everything, that's pretty daunting. But if only the MM functions and buttons are explained (with some simple examples when necessary) that would be great for every (new) user. Plus that wouldn't take as much time then explaining every possibility
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
We are aware that MM accumulated number of powerfull and useful features over the years.
So tutorials and other step by step instructions to introduce some essential and advanced MM features are planned to be made along with MM future version releases.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Yes, you really should be aware that MM has a ton of functions. In my humble opinion, the developers have 4 options:

1. Simplify MM
2. Explain MM more (via a guide/manual)
3. Remove old/barely used/cumbersome functions
4. Combination of 1, 2 and 3