"Scanning Folders to the Library" Background Task Never ending

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

kevin1911

"Scanning Folders to the Library" Background Task Never ending

Post by kevin1911 »

Hi all,

I have MediaMonkey Pro running on my LG V30+. I have all my music on a 400Gb SD card (~28000 songs).

I've been noticing that even when not in use, MediaMonkey is consuming 6-14% of the battery per day. There also seems to be an issue where a notification keeps popping up saying "Background Task: Scanning Folders to the Library". Normally it disappears after a second or so, but occasionally it seems to stay there, almost like it has crashed.

Is there any way to disable this background scanning, or only do it when the phone is on charge at night? I can't seem to see anything in the options.

Thanks!

Kevin
Lowlander

Re: "Scanning Folders to the Library" Background Task Never ending

Post by Lowlander »

No, no option to disable.

Which version of MMA are you using? Were there any changes to the folder(s) included in MMA when this scanning occurs (Podcast downloaded, video taken, etc.)?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
To clarify Bit more, scan is activated when Google Media scanner report changes to MediaFiles and do a refresh.

We plan to improve that in MMA 2.0 by adding our own scanner and not be dependent on Android one.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
crazyyoshi

Post by crazyyoshi »

Hello,
I invested in a dual sd card DAP running android.(FIIO X5 III)

My problem is similar, it's a never ending scan.

I don't understand how the scan work nor how the synchronization works.
I'd like to use the wi-fi sync, but then I should first do an usb one, logic to me, but is there a specific way to do it ?
Can I do it by only putting my SD in usb3 card readers ? Or am I forced to use the dap's android mass storage feature ?

Are the specifics sync settings stored somewhere and will be recognized for a wifi sync ?

Now for the actual problem :
I synced my musics on both of my sd cards using MMW, I have ~11k music files, so not so much compared to what I've read here.
So why and how is the scanning process so long ?

How comes when I navigate through the folders view of MMA to some album's directory I can see only 4 titles when there is actually 12 inside this folder ?
You must also know this album is still not scanned and apparent to the album/artist view yet, so it would've made sense to me to see an empty folder or a full folder on MMA.

I've read a lot about promises concerning MMW 5 and MMA 2, do we have dates or a road map ?
Is there some beta testing on MMA 2 ?

I'm quite fond of MM, I've lost all hopes on FIIO's Music app so my only light is MMA working on my FIIO X5. Besides it's failing app, the FIIO X5 is really nice.
If I can't make MMA work on it, I'll have to send it back and search for an other DUAL SD Card DAP.

Anyway thanks !

[EDIT] After a few hours of scan, my playlists have started to appear. The scan is not finished though, what I'm scared about, is, will the scan run fully everytime and be this long ? Or is it just for the initial scan ?
tag25

Post by tag25 »

Peke wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:56 pm Hi,
To clarify Bit more, scan is activated when Google Media scanner report changes to MediaFiles and do a refresh.
We plan to improve that in MMA 2.0 by adding our own scanner and not be dependent on Android one.
Lets hope MMA 2.0 will be released soon...
I got this "Background Task: Scanning Folders to the Library" notification for about 30 minutes but at least this background task ended.
After adding about 200 tracks to my 8000 tracks library on MM 5 Beta, I opened my MMA Beta and initiated a sync. The sync ended successfully after 2-5 minutes but the "Background Task: Scanning Folders to the Library" notification appeared, as I said, for about 30 minutes.

Umidigi A3 Pro ("clean" android Oreo 8.1)
All the music files are on a SD Card (about 8600 tracks - 50.8 GB)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Interesting, it should not be that slow if Card is at leas Class10/UHS1 (based on my quick test). Can you please do the following:
1. Send us one log ID before during first "Background Task: Scanning Folders to the Library" after MMA start
2. Send us one log ID after "Background Task: Scanning Folders to the Library" finishes
3. Send us one log ID after sync finishes
4. Send us one log ID after second "Background Task: Scanning Folders to the Library" finishes

To send log use ⋮ -> About MediaMonkey -> Send Logs -> Write down LOG ID -> OK to send it -> Write LOG ID here in next reply -> repeat that for other logs. That would hopefully give us bit more details on what is going on and why Google scanner is triggered.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tag25

Post by tag25 »

@Peke, tnanks for the quick response.
1. My SD card is a new 2020 U3 nano 128GB card (by Alfawsie). U3 cards offer at least a 30MB/s write speed. Browsing/playing music with MMA and this SD Card is very fast (8600 tracks).
2. As soon as I have time I'll add another 200 tracks. This time I'll save/send the log ID files.