[SOLVED] Inaccessible files on SD card in Moto z3

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

RiffRaffAK

[SOLVED] Inaccessible files on SD card in Moto z3

Post by RiffRaffAK »

I purchased a Verizon Moto z3 on Cyber Monday. Originally I transferred the SD card in my old Samsung Galaxy J3 to the new Moto z3. Both are running MMA Pro 1.3.4.0844. The problem I am experiencing is when I sync'd 2 Christmas albums with .wma files to the SD card. MMA will NOT play these files. A banner shows "skipping inaccessible files."

Since it was a new phone I decided to insert a new SD card. I snyc'd the troublesome files from MMW to the new card with the same result - "skipping inaccessible files." I uninstalled MMA and reinstalled it. It only took a few seconds to reinstall, so I didn't expect that whatever bug exists was removed. I tried the old SD card in the old Samsung J3. The files played without any problem. I was able to play the songs on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A running MMA Pro 1.3.4.0844.

It is not the case as Lowlander explains in this forum that these .wma files are not "native" to my device. The files play perfectly in PowerAmp installed on my Moto z3. PowerAmp has some strong features but it does not play well with MMW.

Please advise how I can correct this situation.
Lowlander

Re: Inaccessible files on SD card in Moto z3

Post by Lowlander »

Did you check with the device specs that WMA is supported? Other Apps may be able to play files due to own codecs (VLC is a good example). MMA currently relies on the device not its own codecs.
RiffRaffAK

Re: Inaccessible files on SD card in Moto z3

Post by RiffRaffAK »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:14 pm Did you check with the device specs that WMA is supported? Other Apps may be able to play files due to own codecs (VLC is a good example). MMA currently relies on the device not its own codecs.
Lowlander, you have restored my faith in MediaMonkey! Thank you. I didn't realize .wma had gone the direction of Betamax and SACD. I still have some older files ripped in .wma without the CDs. No problem. I have just set MMW to convert the .wma to MP3 before syncing to MMA.

Thanks Again,
RiffRaffAK
Lowlander

Re: [SOLVED] Inaccessible files on SD card in Moto z3

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MMW can convert most formats to a supported format for your device. This often the easiest solution. MMA 2.0 should come with it's own codecs as far as I know. However which formats that will included I don't know.