Experience ripping a large number of CD's for MM?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Re: Experience ripping a large number of CD's for MM?

Postby rivorson » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:58 am

I can't say that I have thoroughly tried the different compression levels to compare file size but with modern processors you don't need to worry about the processing power. Even the lowest powered modern processor has more than enough power to handle flac encoding. I just tried encoding a 3:30 wav file to flac at levels 3 and 8 on my 3 year old processor. Level 3 took about 3 seconds while level 8 took around 5 seconds.

At level 8 that's about 42 seconds of audio encoded every second. If you're encoding on the fly then the encoder will run faster than the rip so there will be literally zero difference in the time it takes between all compression levels.

The size gain may be marginal but if there is no time difference then the bang for your buck is at the highest compression.
rivorson

Postby dypsis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:55 pm

rivorson wrote:The size gain may be marginal but if there is no time difference then the bang for your buck is at the highest compression.

dypsis

Postby Bob_m_54 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:50 pm

rivorson wrote:I can't say that I have thoroughly tried the different compression levels to compare file size but with modern processors you don't need to worry about the processing power. Even the lowest powered modern processor has more than enough power to handle flac encoding. I just tried encoding a 3:30 wav file to flac at levels 3 and 8 on my 3 year old processor. Level 3 took about 3 seconds while level 8 took around 5 seconds.

At level 8 that's about 42 seconds of audio encoded every second. If you're encoding on the fly then the encoder will run faster than the rip so there will be literally zero difference in the time it takes between all compression levels.

The size gain may be marginal but if there is no time difference then the bang for your buck is at the highest compression.

Yeah, that's fine for ripping, but what about the device you play the FLAC file on. If you only play the file on one device, that has a capable processor for decompressing, it should be fine. But if you play back on a device with a marginal processor, like a car radio or android device, you can get stuttering and popping due to processor overhead being so high. When you look at the compression gain for anything above level 3, you don't really gain that much in reduced file size, but the processor overhead for compression and decompression is dramatic.
I have done comparisons myself, but no longer have the results, but here's one example I found online.
http://z-issue.com/wp/flac-compression-level-comparison/

To me, it seemed to be a good idea to keep the files playable on as wide a variety of devices as possible. Actually I never play direct from my computer anyway.
Bob_m_54

Postby rivorson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:46 pm

I still think that even modern low powered processors found in Android devices and cars should be more than enough to decode flac at any compression level. With those devices the most likely cause of stuttering is storage speed rather than the processor. In that case smaller file = faster read.

My aging Nexus 7 tablet can certainly play level 8 flac files without stuttering. I also have a smart TV and an old sound system that both have slow processors but handle level 8 flac just fine.

There is no absolute right or wrong compression level though. The correction option is whatever works best for you
rivorson

Postby MMFrLife » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Devices with flac 8 while multi-tasking, or just listening?

"right or wrong"...?
Just interested in what's practical, here.

If the global differences (processor speed, size reduction, etc.) are minimal in just about any situation, then do what you want -
as there is no real "bang", either way.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
track properties; dir/fn mask configurations; check out ZvezdanD's scripts
MMW 4.1.15.1821b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Backup 6.0; Clear Now Playing Button 1.2
...always back it up before doing anything major!!!
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
MMFrLife

Postby rivorson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Multitasking. Mostly light workloads such as web browsing, Feedly, Play store, etc but also it continues playing while syncing with MMW which is more intensive on the storage.

I found some correspondence online with the developer who created the flac format. He claimed that flac was running on plenty of 74MHz ARM processors. He also suggested that computers that struggled with decoding the mp3 format could decode flac easily.
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac/20 ... 00807.html
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac/20 ... 00801.html

These days cars, watches, TVs, printers, refrigerators, and even electric toothbrushes have processors many times more powerful than the 74MHz ARM processors that he was referring to.
rivorson

Postby MMFrLife » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:24 pm

PocketPCs! :lol:
I remember when those were all the rage (preceeded by the Palm Pilot :lol: ). I never got one. I did have a Palm Pilot, though.
The phones became so powerful over time that they just over took them.

Great info, will make a good reference for the forum.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
track properties; dir/fn mask configurations; check out ZvezdanD's scripts
MMW 4.1.15.1821b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Backup 6.0; Clear Now Playing Button 1.2
...always back it up before doing anything major!!!
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
MMFrLife

Postby rovingcowboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:23 pm

i would try to load up all 5 dvd players select one at a time select all the songs on it send to new playlist then select the next dvd drive and send all the tracks in order to the same playlist and keep doing that for all five dvds,
when all dvds are in the playlist, export the playlist to html, change to .txt open remove all the indicating text of the dvd's just leave the path way like d:\track.........
e:\track......

in front of each song so it looks like you have a long playlist on multiple hard drives. save and change back to a html change the name of the html and import the playlist.
rip if that don't make mm rip from one drive to the next then i'm not sure what you should do other then find a free program that will let you rip from multiple dvd / cd rom drives.

but as you can guess it is just as fast or faster to load all the dvd's up and rip them one at a time, as to make all that playlist export and import messing around.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at viewtopic.php?p=44008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rovingcowboy

Postby Bob_m_54 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:03 am

Ripping DVDs, making playlists, multiple DVD drives???? I think the OP only wants to rip his CD collection easily...
Bob_m_54

Postby rovingcowboy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Bob_m_54 wrote:Ripping DVDs, making playlists, multiple DVD drives???? I think the OP only wants to rip his CD collection easily...

Sorry I should have said dvd/cd drive , the playlist is because monkey wont auto change the drives or at least not my version.
Multiple dvd /cd drives , Doesn't everyone have 5 stuffed in their desktop tower? :o

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at viewtopic.php?p=44008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rovingcowboy

Previous

Return to News and Other Stuff