tagging

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

onu

tagging

Post by onu »

dont you think that music tags should have a field for cd number? all they have is track number, so for albums with multiple cds its a bit useless having two track 1's from the same album - plus, just changing the album name to "x: disc 1" gets annoying when you have loads of songs. atm ive renamed all my files "cd number - track number - title", and in mediamonekey i just sort by filename. but then, whats the point of having the tags in the first place?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well MM doesn't define which tags are available. This is done by the standards for each filetype.
I don't know if CD# is a tag in any of the standards, if so it should be included in MM as well.
onu

Post by onu »

i was never accusing MM of being inadequate, i think MM is great - im saying tags in general should have them.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sorry, didn't mean to sound upset or anything. Just trying to inform you about how tags work for MM.
That said I don't know how the standards solve this.
b0b0b0b-guest

Post by b0b0b0b-guest »

I've used the "Custom 1" field for this.
Plethora

Just dropping in

Post by Plethora »

I believe I have a possible solution...

In the main window of MM (where you select tracks) there is a bar that has stuff like "album|track|artist|bitrate" and much more. I have discovered that if you right click on the bar you can select/deselect more sorting columns. One in paticular that I have started using is the "AlbumArtist" tab. I have these settings:

Artist = Artist or group that is actually performing
Album= Name of album
AlbumArtist= the core artist that I sort by

For example....
AlbumArtist = Dave Matthews
Artist = Dave Matthews Band
Album = Remember Two Things

Since Dave has his self titled CD's and some with other guests like Tim Reynolds, It's easier for me to sort.

Now it seems to me that the names or functions of these tabs (AlbumArtist and Artist) should be swapped, just for making more since.
I also warn you to becareful to only change the AlbumArtist if you like this idea. It seems that if you edit the Artist, then the AlbumArtist mirrors the change.

I believe what I have said to be essentially correct, but try it out.

On another note can anyone tell me what the itm.? is for the AlbumArtist tag in MM for scripting purposes?

Hoped this helped.
--Plethora
- Plethora
- 160 GB and Counting!!!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The node structure artist vs albumartist is always a discussion.

Currently the artist node uses artist to show all the artist nodes. In these artist nodes there are album subnodes. In these album subnodes the songs with albumartist same as artist are shown.

As said in another discussion item going on I would vote for songs to be available in the artist node both with artist and albumartist entries. This would allow the easiest and most logical retrievel of songs.

In a more ideal situation there would be an option to select which to use (artist, albumartist or both) as that would please all users and people can switch for different situations. (maybe fields like composer, ect could be added to this option list to please classical music lovers).

In any case with most newer music the albumartist is the important name and not the artist. But with options the user could just make it their own system.

PS. Some other options could be added to it as well, like only show artist nodes with more than 5 (user defined) songs. This all would help very well in customizability of the explorer tree.

Post by Guest »

I just name them 101, 206, 304 etc. in the track number. There aren't THAT many multi-disc sets. You'd end up with 99% of them being Disc 1 anyways. Many people also just add "Disc 2" in the Album title, so a sort by Album would still work.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

", disc 1" or ", "disc 2" at the end of the album name is how I distinguish.

I've considered going thropugh the collection and setting up continuous numbering. ie disc 1 1-20, disc 2 21-40
sadao

Post by sadao »

pah68 wrote:", disc 1" or ", "disc 2" at the end of the album name is how I distinguish.

I've considered going thropugh the collection and setting up continuous numbering. ie disc 1 1-20, disc 2 21-40
I add (1 of 3), (2 of 3), (3 of 3) etc. at the end of the album name. This mimics the physical disc counterparts (one album entry per disc).
gtbuzz

Don't like adding it to the album name...

Post by gtbuzz »

I guess I'm a purist, but - Disc 1 or (1/2) isn't in the Album name. It really would be nice to have a field to hold a disc # (Like Tag&Rename uses). Then you have an additional drop down below the album for discs. This just wouldn't be there for albums that were only a single disc (an thus left the field blank).
Peke

Post by Peke »

You can allways Use Custom Fields
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts