Love it

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Potato Bag

Love it

Post by Potato Bag » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:50 pm

Hi

I have tried to organize my music files with a weird combination of Windows Media Player 10 and Winamp 5. Until I noticed that the two programs kill each other's tags when doing something with the library. Because I wanted to spend more time listening to the music than retagging and resorting it, I gave up. I have looked for some Music Manager, downloaded and tried about 20 different software products and hated all of them because they did even more chaos than the other programs, or they just hadn't the functionality I wanted.

Then I asked a friend what software he uses, and he told me that he used MediaMonkey. I had never heard of MM before, so I decided to look for it and give it a try.

I was nearly starting to invent and develop my own software I was so desperate. But now that I have found MediaMonkey, I can sit back, knowing that my own program would've ended up being just like yours. Not as good, mind you. :)

THANKS guys you took so many hours of work off my back. Heaven knows why no-one else manages to do something quite like yours, but I don't care anyway. Never wanna miss the Monkey again!

Oh by the way, Winamp5 still kills the tags, but only if I f*ck around with its Media Library, which I'll never touch again!

Thanks and cheers from Switzerland
Dan

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:07 pm

yepper it is a great program saved me lots of time on the tagging also. :D

and yes the winamp 5 program is not compatable with media monkey but the old 2.91 winamp is . and so are the classic winamp skins :D and lots of winamp 2.91 plug ins :D

rusty

Thx & Winamp 5 clarification

Post by rusty » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:31 am

Glad you both like it -- and thanks for the feedback!

Note: although the UI indicates that Winamp 5 doesn't work with MM 2.2, we actually made some last minute changes just before release that seemed to resolve the problem.

So, if you like Winamp 5 (I prefer Winamp 2, personally) feel free to give it a try.

-Rusty

Potato Bag

Post by Potato Bag » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:13 pm

Yes, it's true that MM works pretty well with Winamp 5 - as long as you don't use Winamp5's tagger or media library, because that's going to screw everything up.

Well, not that bad as I just noticed, cause you crazy guys even thought about a working synchronize function. You're gods!

There's actually one thing I don't like about MM. Often I would like to use its internal player instead of winamp (because of Playcounts when going through playlists and stuff, with Winamp it only counts the first track). The problem is that I can't control the MM-Player while I have a tag window opened. Even my Logitech keyboard with media keys only manages to control the MM-Player when no other MM-Window than the library is open. Would it be possible to change that?

Cheers
Potato

jiri

Post by jiri » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:28 pm

Check the help file for keyboard shortcuts, there is an option how to use numeric keypad to control the player. Another option is to use the system tray icon.

Jiri

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:30 pm

But it would be nice if we can control the player when properties is shown. The problem is that the properties window would be hidden behind the MM interface and that could cause confusion with users.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Potato Bag

Post by Potato Bag » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:26 pm

No, it would be possible to let the properties window stay always on top of MM, but still not halt it while opened. That would be a perfect solution.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:11 am

Certainly!
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

jiri

Post by jiri » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:49 am

An option to solve this is to open properties window by View|Properties (not Edit|Properties). The window then stays on top of MM and you can still use all the funtions.

Jiri

Potato Bag

Post by Potato Bag » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:44 pm

Ah, that is very nice, thank you for this hint Jiri!

Works almost like a new docker

pah68

Post by pah68 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:08 pm

Ha, I've been using and loving this program for ages and I did not notice you could do that. Brilliant :D That feature is going to get a workout. :wink:

mkasson

MM Player

Post by mkasson » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:24 am

I've been alternating using Winamp 5 and the MM Player. The problem I have is that I have a material delay in MM Player when I move forward through a song by clicking on the position indicator. There is a little delay in Winamp, but not nearly as much. I notice this most when I am playing from a network drive, but its still significant if I'm using a local drive.

Is there something so different about the two players?

Also, any plans on revamping the player display to add all the other info that winamp displays? You know: time of current song, position in song as you move position indicator, etc.

Thanks.

slyr

superb

Post by slyr » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:07 am

yes, this really is a superb program, i wasted hours trying to get the tags right with wmp 10, but when i pressed f3,thef**cking bastard turned all the typing work i had back into the original, wrong tags, also tried the godfather 0.69, but it's to complicated, now my tags are ok, in like no time, and they even stay ok when i press F3 in wmp, but i won't change to wmp 10 again, also because mediamonkey is so much faster, with wmp10 there always was a lloading pause between songs, not with mediamonkey. And now with the dfx plugin i even have better quality than ever before, beautifull work, i even don't care anymore that mediamonkey is quite a childish name. :-?
BEST FREE PROGRAM EVER!!!!!!! :evil:
thanks for making life easier.

onkel_enno

Re: superb

Post by onkel_enno » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:05 am

slyr wrote: BEST FREE PROGRAM EVER!!!!!!! :evil:
... Time to get Gold - to reward the programmers :wink:
SansaMonkey - for SanDisk Sansa and Rockbox Users

Please no PMs for Questions which should be asked in the Forum. Thx