Genre is a real pain!( In general, not because of MM )

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Danzig

Post by Danzig »

pah68 wrote:Let me just get one thing clear. :o

Rock and Pop are different, nothing alike and could never possibly....even a little tiny bit be confused. :P

Britney Spears = Pop
Nickelback = Rock

There is a genre known as Rock / Pop though for those very occasional 'iffy' ones. :wink:
lol Nickelback is commercial crap rock... you can't group Nickelback with other 'rock' bands that are actually original and make sincere music and not just stuff that sells and plays on the radio/mtv
pah68

Post by pah68 »

Danzig wrote:
pah68 wrote:Let me just get one thing clear. :o

Rock and Pop are different, nothing alike and could never possibly....even a little tiny bit be confused. :P

Britney Spears = Pop
Nickelback = Rock

There is a genre known as Rock / Pop though for those very occasional 'iffy' ones. :wink:
lol Nickelback is commercial crap rock... you can't group Nickelback with other 'rock' bands that are actually original and make sincere music and not just stuff that sells and plays on the radio/mtv
Opinion noted, and ignored.
It makes absolutely no difference as to whether you like the band or not. It's obviously rock despite the fact that it's commercial. Just because it's popular, and not some backyard "wish we could make money but can't, so we'll (by default) appeal to the nob-ends who automatically dislike anything the moment it becomes popular" group of talentless wannabes, in no way affects the genre that a particular successful band falls into.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well I couldn't help but smile reading that. Some people are very passionate about their music, and that's great! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

LOL
its true i guess.... i'm really passionate about my music... and i have a really broad musical taste... i like stuff like Radiohead, Bob Marley, Nirvana, Sepultura, Alice in Chains, Misfits, Pantera, Days of the New, Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, Black Sabbath... to name a few... i think there's a fair amount of genres mixed in there so really nobody can accuse me of being biased towards any type of music...

and i'm definitely not someone that only likes music cause its "underground" and suddenly hate it when it becomes popular, but i admit that i've found myself disillusioned with a lot of bands that start out underground and become popular and change their sound and themes etc....

for me it all comes down to intent and passion... i like "sincere" music, honest, heartfelt music. that doesn't mean it has to be soft and contain a moral, I think a lot of Sepultura and Pantera songs are sincere, in fact most of them are... its just people writing music because they like to write music... writing music that means something to them. and i also give credit to those who innovate and do something never done before...

but really, what pisses me off is music that's so commercial they don't even try to disguise it... its one thing when a band has some songs and finally manages to record them... and its another thing when a band stays in a studio and 'forces' themselves to write songs for the sheer purpose of selling records and the songs are generic and unoriginal and the band doesn't care as long as they get paid...

i mean sure bands gotta make money too, and the kind of music that makes money is commercial, so really its an awkward situation, but in the end I think its possible to blend everything together and make a record that has 2 or 3 catchy tunes for the radio and other songs that are not so radio friendly but are more representative of the band and their sound...

whoa ok rant over! sorry i'm just really passionate about music! :D
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

i'm not sure if i expressed myself as well as i'd have liked but most people will get the point!

peace...
pah68

Post by pah68 »

I agree and like most of your music choices.
Like you I can't be accused of having narrow tastes.
eg
Gary Moore
Muddy Waters
Metallica
AC/DC
Sarah McLaughlan
Cardigans
Black Crowes
Joss Stone
Dream Theartre
Elvis Presley

Classical/Pop/Rock/Hard Rock/Metal/Celtic/Country/Blues/Soul/Chillout etc etc.

If it's passionate or powerful regardless of mood and genre, I'll probably like it. Wouldn't hurt if had a decent guitarist and I seem to lean towards women with big voices like Anastacia, Aretha Franklin, Millie Jackson, Joss Stone, Melissa Etheridge, and even on occasion Christina UgliAsEver.

:wink:
ejp1082

Post by ejp1082 »

The system I've developed is to just use the comments field for genre information. Usually I copy the "Genres", "Styles", and "Moods" from AMG there. Then it's fairly trivial to do a text search and set up autoplaylists based on that information.

I agree a better solution would be sub-genres or multiple genres, even if such only gets stored in the MM Database rather than the id3 tages.
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

I agree... once your music collection gets to a certain size its kinda hard listening to what you want to...

before my 'alt rock' genre was mainly Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Days of the New, Bush and other bands from the Seattle grunge movement or post-grunge stuff like DoTn or Bush but really there's so much other stuff like Weezer that also qualifies as 'alt rock' but in a different way...

when i listen to my 'alt rock' i wanna listen to grungy stuff and having weezer on there pisses me off but i mean where else to put weezer? i don't think its really soft rock, or pop-punk... argh! :-?
pah68

Post by pah68 »

Why not call the "Grunge" something less cryptic like, oh I don't, maybe "Grunge" :P
Deakon

Post by Deakon »

What about Speed Gospel or Death Bluegrass? (I'm joking but wouldn't be surprised to see them show up eventually.)

Is there some sort of fairly agreed upon "root" genres somwhere that one could draw from? I've got a very eclectic collection and my genre fields are sporatic at best.
-
Deakon
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check out the genre specifications for the ID3v1 standard, that can probably be considered the root genre's.

ID3 standards
Deakon

Post by Deakon »

I found this which is fairly helpful... http://www.tfic.com/download/ID3V1.GENRE.INI

Is there a script or plug-in for Monkey that can automatically fill my genre field with the album genre?
-
Deakon
puppy

Post by puppy »

Well I've struggled with this also - genre is quite useful because sometimes you know you're in the mood for "something" but you don't know quite what.

I tend to think about things in a more era/theme way myself, and tend to ignore the classic genres, except where they're obvious - i.e. Bob Marley is obviously Reggae, whilst Kylie is obviously good, plain Pop. For instance, I have Blur, Pulp, Spiders, Suede etc listed in the genre BritPop, while I have Abba, Modern Talking, and The Knife listed in EuroPop.

It's difficult when your collection is the size of mine to get everything sorted into genre (I have 400+ straight days of music according to MM!! :o ) but it's worth it - I would think about your genres before you get started though. You wouldn't want to be 3 evenings into recataloging and then change your mind :x
pah68

Post by pah68 »

I just read some of my earlier posts. Was I in a bad mood or what? :oops:
Deakon

Post by Deakon »

After spending several months of research (or lack thereof) on genre, I've decided to spend a little time creating a "genre tree" of sorts. Since there are many genres I'm not familiar with, I was wondering if anyone would care to help. Maybe a group effort sort if thing?
-
Deakon