Suggestions For Portable MP3 Player?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

fadathy

Suggestions For Portable MP3 Player?

Post by fadathy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm looking into getting a new MP3 Player meeting a few requirements (listed below). I've been doing lots of looking at reviews and forums, but sometimes it's not clear what really works with a given player (especially #2 below). So I was wondering if anyone here had personal experience with a player that meets these requirements:

1) Capacity >= 16 GB
2) Ability to painlessly sync using MM, INCLUDING ALL MM PLAYLISTS.
3) Ability to adjust sound output via 5 (or more) band equalizer.
4) Good quality audio output.

Notes: I don't really care much about videos. A good user interface would be a plus. The primary usage is to provide input to my car stereo (via AUX input, so no need for FM transmitter).

Thanks for any input you can provide.

trixmoto

Re: Suggestions For Portable MP3 Player?

Post by trixmoto » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:35 am

I use a Sony NWZ-X1060 touchscreen mp3 player and can highly recommend it!

1) 16Gb and 32Gb varieties (in the UK at least).
2) Absolutely painless, although I've never tried playlists (as I tend to listen to whole albums) so I can't confirm that one for sure.
3) It comes with a number of preset equalizer settings but also allows you to set up a number of custom settings with 5 bands plus "Clear Bass".
4) You cannot beat Sony for audio quality!! Supplied headphones have noise cancelling (which works a treat in my office) and a comfy fit.

I know this might sound like I work for Sony, but I don't, they're just that good! OLED screen looks great, touchscreen is responsive and intuitive, and the battery life continues to amaze me. It can do videos and photos, but I don't really use that. It does have wifi which can be cool because it has a youtube function so you can automatically search for the music video of the track you are listening to, but the browser itself is pretty poor so I wouldn't recommend it on that basis.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

fugusushi

Post by fugusushi » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:03 am

i can agree with trixmoto - i have the 32gb vs. and yes, it does playlists just fine - it's v.important for me too - and works perfectly with MM...

sound quality is first rate... Cowan supposedly have great auido too - but don't play nice with playlists at all!

if you do get this Sony, pick up a screen protector for it for sure, and some kind of case!

fadathy

Post by fadathy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:14 am

Thanks for the suggestions. The Sony player does look good, but at $390 (in the US), it's very expensive. The Cowon S9 is much cheaper and it appears that playlist support has been added, but I haven't seen much feedback about how well they work, especially with MM. One post I read seemed to indicate you had to make the playlists after you transferred the files to the Cowon unit, which isn't what I'm looking for. I want the playlists that I have in MM to be transferred over with the MP3s, and be adjusted (if necessary) to work on the MP3 player. Maybe I can't get what I want, but that's what I'm looking for. Doesn't seem like that strange of a request, and it also doesn't seem like it should be too hard to do (assuming the MP3 player supports playlists).

cmx

Post by cmx » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:58 am

Although I hate Apple and associated issues the itouch is a superior choice for a dedicated music player in my opinion.

Superior technology, excellent quality player.
Total MM compatibility.
User interface: pretty much the best touch interface there is.
New 16gb is 275.00 at Amazon

...and- you now have an internet connected computer available via wifi.

Kensington LiquidAux Car Adapter(about $70.00) works perfectly in cars...it charges and connects with line out audio from the touch into your car stereo aux via the multipin connector on the bottom of the touch(or any Apple product). Very clean setup. With the stable line out you use the car's volume and equalization controls. This is very much better than screwing with the volume on the player itself. Some cars have ground short buzz issues, but Kensington will provide isolator free if there is a problem with your vehicle.

paulmt

Post by paulmt » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:16 pm

I use iTouch Gen 2 32gB and love it.
It is a lot more than a MP3 player - features I regularly use...
Music Player
Maps
Notes
Email via WiFi
in Car via Bluetooth
Bluetooth file transfer
Games
MediaMonkey Remote Control
Facebook via WiFi
Intranet on my Home Network via WiFi

However, be aware the latest OS from Apple v3.0 is NOT compatible with MM (yet) and this will always be the main problem with any apple handheld product, Apple will continually change their OS to shake off the third party software users such as MM.
I am sure the Developers will find a way to achieve compatibility but only until the next Apple OS update.

The feel and functionality of the touch screen is easily the best available and the apps available for the iTouch are growing every day.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,

fadathy

Post by fadathy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions about the iTouch. I have been looking at Apple's stuff, and while I'm not a big fan of Apple, there are definitely some advantages. The iTouch is definitely under consideration, although 32 GB will limit me some. Does anyone have any experience using the hard drive based players by Apple (e.g., the 120 GB iPod) with MM and in a car?

Thanks.

cmx

Post by cmx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:02 pm

I use Nanos and 30gb Ipods loaded by MM with no troubles.

The biggest car issue I have had is the connectivity. I like it clean and simple. All the Apple products can connect via line out and be powered and charged using the bottom dock connector with the LiquidAux setup I described above(there are specific devices made for specific cars and head units that work with Apple products...but the Liquid aux is a "generic" that works well with any system with Aux in or even cassette induction converter). Most other digital audio devices require seperate charging setups and use the minipin headphone outputs to feed car sound systems....can get cumbersome and messy real quick.

Beware of the compatibility issues upon software upgrades with the Apple iphone and itouch products....Upon major upgrades Apple has created software blocks that require MM and other third party developers to create updates to work with the devices...we are expecting a fix for the latest iphone/itouch OS 3.0 soon from MM devs...BUT it has been two months that we have not had compatibility with the new iphone OS update. In the future if Apple continues blocking people and you are only using an itouch for music you should probably be safe in simply keeping the "old" OS version that works until MM devs create a patch for new software.
Last edited by cmx on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stutes

Post by stutes » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:26 pm

I have an iPod Touch, and I'm starting to find myself frustrated personally. MM doesn't sync video, so I was using iTunes to sync my video podcasts. But somewhere along the line album art started getting all screwed up. So I switched to iTunes. But with Apple locking out third-parties upon updating firmware, and with them denying access to apps made from third-parties even the likes of Google has just finally started pushing me away. And iTunes makes it REALLY difficult to sync with any other player other than their iPods, so I've just about had it.

So now I'm thinking about a different media player. I too would like something that would sync seamlessly with MM. I'd also like to be able to rate the tracks and have the ratings and the play count sync back to MM (one of the few features I really like about the iPod Touch).
Version: MediaMonkey 3.1.0.1236
Syncs iPod Touch 2nd Gen (firmware 2.2) and SD cards via card reader
(Touch also syncs with iTunes on a Mac, OS X 10.5, set manage podcasts, apps, photos, contacts & calendar, but NOT music)

slogu

Post by slogu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:48 am

I have a Sony Walkman E-series, it synchronizes great with MM, but connected to the car's audio system it just doesn't sound as loud as the same track would sound from a CD or from the radio

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:57 pm

You can use the volume leveling option in the synchronization options to increase the playback volume of the tracks synchronized to the portable device.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Blue

Post by Blue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:14 pm

I use the Creative Zen 32 GB flash drive player. It synchs fine, including any playlists I select in MM. It has a five band equalizer, plus several pre-sets. I use it for my car also, with a 3.5mm line from the player headphone out jack to my radio's aux in. Works like a charm. Also has voice recorder, FM player, video, photos, etc. if you need it. 32 GB is $180. X-Fi version with Wi-fi is $230.

bikermanlax

Post by bikermanlax » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:41 pm

Go over to the Head-Fi forum for great suggestions. The new AMP3 has been getting some good attention for those looking for sound quality only. Also, the Sansa Clip has just been reconfigured.

memolo

Post by memolo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:31 pm

the cowon s9 32 gb costs $262.57, the 16 gb costs $199.99, its sound quality is one of the best in the market, in some places they its the best,
its battery can do 55 hours of audio and 11 hours video playback, the interface can be customized by the user, there are many customized user created interfaces, one of them is The Claw which one of its features is giving you multiple playlist support among other cool features. im been researching about the s9 and i can tell you that if you want superb audio, video and battery performance and a nice looking mp3 player the s9 is the best, just look at this review http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php ... 0&pageid=1 , that review is a little old, cowon has made major changes in the s9´s firmware since then.

memolo

Post by memolo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm

by the way those prices are from amazon, and i want to add that the s9 support various audio formats such as mp3, flac, wav, ape, ogg, wma. Other option would be to wait for 3rd generation that i heard is gonna be released in september and see what it has to offer.