MM4: Ok, that's it?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Sebastian78

MM4: Ok, that's it?

Post by Sebastian78 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:11 am

Ok, I'm not sure I really have the balls to post this, but I just installed MM4 and I had one thing in my mind. "Ok, that's it?"

I couldn't even tell I was running a new version of MM, but rather a MM3 skin.

I'm sure a lot of effort has gone into the development, but I sure hope there is more coming than what I saw from downloading the latest version (as of today).

Hmmmmmmm

Lowlander

Re: MM4: Ok, that's it?

Post by Lowlander » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:13 am

You might want to play around with it. There are a lot of new features like UPNP and video which are major changes from MM3.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:53 pm

what did you expect? mm 3 is the same style of program as mm 2, only with some new things that the skin could do and some new features that were needed and asked for..

so mm 4 would be the same way, the same style of mm 3 but with new features needed and asked for?

or is it that you wanted a new user interface that would allow you to fold up the windows to the top bottom and sides of the
screen like some of those desktop programs out there that let you add multiple desktops that way?

or one that is a 3d gui that could spin like the globe and show you different things on its globe while it appears to sit
in mid cyber space like a planet with shock waves coming from it for the av effects?

you know how hard it is to code that stuff. let alone trying to skin it, the developers only alpha testing would be two years on that type of thing. skinning testing would be another six months. the cost of the gold lic would be raised by 100 us dollars the lifetime would be another 300 us dollars. free lic would be removed for good. and only a demo of 30 days would be left because that type of gui is going to take tons of time to get finished then one of the os makers would muck it up by changing the os' making that great new gui out dated in 3 days. and need to start the new patching fixes for it as fast as they just put it out 3 days prior.

no i don't want that to happen to monkey besides that i think rusty would never get out of that little programming room he hides in to finish what they have now. 8) i think rusty would be more in to foil hats if that type of program was being made. :lol:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

vpsaxman

Post by vpsaxman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:01 pm

I think people accustomed to foobar, itunes, zune will always want more eye candy from MM.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:07 pm

vpsaxman wrote:I think people accustomed to foobar, itunes, zune will always want more eye candy from MM.
i been trying to give them that in all my mm 3 skins, :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:20 pm

Sebastian78 wrote:Ok, I'm not sure I really have the balls to post this, but I just installed MM4 and I had one thing in my mind. "Ok, that's it?"

I couldn't even tell I was running a new version of MM, but rather a MM3 skin.

I'm sure a lot of effort has gone into the development, but I sure hope there is more coming than what I saw from downloading the latest version (as of today).

Hmmmmmmm

To me I'd be thankful if I couldn't tell it was a new version. I have not tried MM4 yet but adding video and secure ripping and media server capabilities alone are huge, even not considering all the other stuff. Skins offered by player manufacturers in general never impressed me much, I guess I like function over form.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:17 pm

windcrest77 wrote:I guess I like function over form.
Which is why I use MediaMonkey. Form tends to get in the way of function (not that after all function it shouldn't be made to look nice).

tinana

Post by tinana » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:28 pm

(Phew, I thought this was going to turn into a flame war, and it hasn't, which frankly is another huge reason I love Mediamonkey, it's forum and the people who frequent it--posters are generally nice, polite, considerate, helpful, and friendly)

I'll cast another vote for function ;^D
MM Gold/Lifetime member

Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:20 am

I like MM and I really want to continue liking MM. Now that's settled, here is a little more of my thoughts.

Perhaps I am accustomed to "bling" as suggested, even perhaps too much. But there is no denying that Apple is getting scores of new users thanks to the OS being pretty "bling" and that the Apple Stores are blingbling'in with bling to sell more Mac's. (

• The new "player" in Vitreous is a HUGE improvement. Takes up a lot less space on a widescreen and has all the buttons/info you need.
    - but not really worth a version bump to 4.0 since it's just a skin improvement
    The inclusion of tabs is a HUGE improvement
    - But why can't I have independent view in tabs? This defies the purpose of tabs? I want the first tab to be "Library" and second tab "Now Playing"
    - I would like one tab to be only covers, this would be great. (EDIT: I just found out you CAN have Album covers in one tab and library in the other. But why can't you change the view in other parts? Ie. Now Playing in one and Library in another? Hey, changing to "Now Playing" implements this in the Album Art tab as well....)
    - You could have one tab for track properties.
    UPnP is a great feature, but couldn't it have been included as an ad-on?
    - I would like to remove the bar showing how many tracks I have. It runs over the entire screen and just takes up space.
Some random thoughts:

- I hope MM4 will have an easier implementation of skins and ad-ons. A bit more "professional" with regards to searching and updating installed skins/ad-ons.
- I'm a visual person and the visual part of playing music is important to me. Right now, MM3/4 is still not something I would have on my wall LCD or as a jukebox function in my living room.
- It still has that "old" look of Winamp....sorry
- The way covers are presented in Album Art view needs som visual improvements.

Hmmmm

Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:23 am

To me, it just feels like MM3 with tabs.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:57 am

I don't think it's a major update from 3 to 4 because it looks significantly different, I think it's because it is significantly different. Obviously I've not seen under the hood, but I'm guessing that implementing things such as tabs and video have meant major code changes, significant enough to warrant the change in major version number.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Send me BTC: 34VQPVsf9mCeR4nfhFvvBYZqQ7LkqNZ8Mn
Send me LTC: 3P1mzrfbyscdhbxRpXLgKz7tufGAU3SrEG
Send me DOGE: 9xPpYSqgF7P5yQiqvE1VqWb4UjxVCCLFJ6
Check out these great cryptocurrency faucets... BTC / LTC / DOGE

Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:35 am

Sebastian78 wrote: - But why can't I have independent view in tabs? This defies the purpose of tabs? I want the first tab to be "Library" and second tab "Now Playing"
If you mean having to change back and forth between tabs to drop song from library to now playing.
It's a big no to me.
If it was actually like that. I would dump mediamonkey without thinking twice.

Being able to see the now playing pane and the library pane at the same time is essential to me.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)

sanedevil

Post by sanedevil » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:20 am

where do i get it?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:27 am

Now Playing has it's own window so you can always see it next to any other view. Tabs can have their own view, but if you right click on a node to open a new tab you will need to go back to some other node to have 2 tabs with different views. And this is a known issue (http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6529).

I just looked at iTunes news on celebrating it's 10th anniversary and the design of it looks basically the same (I think the silver shade has been modified). MediaMonkey in the meanwhile has changed a lot over those years. I think in the end it might be limitations of the skin engine that limit MediaMonkey, or more so the skinners in some regards. But for me Apple design looks so outdated on their software side, hardware however still delivers some eye candy.

The question here is if those who struggle with MediaMonkey's looks just haven't found the right skin (it might not exist yet) or are having problems with the skinning capabilities of the program. My complaint would be that the main window seems to be different parts put together instead of one uniform interface. Looking at WMP it just seems the interface is in better unison.

vpsaxman

Post by vpsaxman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:14 pm

There was a heated argument on this forum about one guy saying the only way to really change the dated visual aspect of MM would be to change the skinning engine entirely with a more up to date and conventional method. I'm sure this will eventually come and MM will align with foobar, zune, WMP, iTunes and songbird visually, just not for this version.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB