is mediamonkey becoming abandoware?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: is mediamonkey becoming abandoware?

Post by Lowlander »

Onweerwolf wrote:I would venture the guess that I'm in the majority
That's the point. If you take a moment to read you'll see that no one argues that the news section on the homepage shouldn't have more updates. Everybody supports the idea of more updates. It was only noted that through other avenues more news was available.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Okay, well I guess what I'm saying is that it should be the default that the news is on the homepage instead of on the social networks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Onweerwolf wrote:Okay, well I guess what I'm saying is that it should be the default that the news is on the homepage instead of on the social networks.
And no one is arguing against that.
HiImDannyGanz

Post by HiImDannyGanz »

I'd like to throw my two cents in. I bought MM in 2009, and for the last two months, I have been searching for alternatives because I haven't seen any updates on the News page for nearly a year. It was not until I saw this thread that I learned that development is still ongoing.
georgeswift

Post by georgeswift »

Well good thing this thread was here, because I also thought that nothing new was happening.
I guess everything is on social networks and forums nowadays. I'll better to my "likes" and "follows" now for news on MM.

Thanks thread poster!
:D
heartofhate

Post by heartofhate »

the webside defently should be updated. people who are not familliar with mediamonkey would think that MM3 is new (maybe the "new version 3 released" button should be erased). also the news section should more up to date (3.2.4 is not even the latest release of version 3). there was also no mention about the new addon page (just saw this on accident) and there is no mention at all on the page about the release of MM4 in the near feature.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

heartofhate wrote:there was also no mention about the new addon page (just saw this on accident)
As Rusty put it, this is because it's been "soft" released as they're still working out some kinks and the majority of the content pertains to MM4 which hasn't been officially released yet.
DataDonkey

Post by DataDonkey »

@OP:

MM4 is abandonware. It's been promised for well over a year, and the only thing the devs have to show for it are arguments and snide remarks when someone questions when it will appear.

MM 3.x is still pretty good software, even after all these years. But MM4 is vapor. Even add-on development has dried up (aside from skins.)

Jukebox/music library applications as a category seems to be on the wane. For better or worse, Windows Media Player and iTunes dominate.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

DataDonkey wrote:MM4 is abandonware.
Really? Is that why there have been ten builds of MM4 released by the developers this month alone?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

DataDonkey wrote:@OP:

MM4 is abandonware. It's been promised for well over a year, and the only thing the devs have to show for it are arguments and snide remarks when someone questions when it will appear.

MM 3.x is still pretty good software, even after all these years. But MM4 is vapor. Even add-on development has dried up (aside from skins.)

Jukebox/music library applications as a category seems to be on the wane. For better or worse, Windows Media Player and iTunes dominate.
well wmp is given for free when you get a pc loaded with windows. so it is used more only for that reason.

itunes is needed to use any ipod device so it's there for that reason. both seem to be propertie of their creators and
no third party has ablity to improve on them as you could with an open source code.

mediamonkey trys to work with them if possible but they must use work arounds on the ipod stuff cause of that it's mine and you can't adapt it attitude of apple.

snide remarks are not made by developers. as a matter of fact most are made by me it seems like, but a few others make some.

most things on the way out are only on the way out for those that have been using them for years and want to do
something else with their time or are doing something else like college or marrige or a job. which take up their spare
time in other ways. so jukebox/ music librarys are not going out just getting newer younger users. its up to us older users
to try and help the newer ones understand the features of the programs for them to stay with it. as we know them more
since we have been around since the start or close to the start of the bare to the bones program version. :)

what is going out of style is help forums. computers are getting more and more stable now in their op systems so help
is not needed as much. some is but most the hard stuff is taken care of now. 8)

what i wish would go away is the stupid hackers and virus creators, i hope they hack their own system so bad it gets hosed
and each one after that first one gets hosed also. :x

as for having nothing to show for mm 4. why don't you go to the beta test forum room get the latest version of the beta,
and test it to see how far they really have come with the new mm 4, sure its long past the time it was expected.
but so was mm 3.
as in mm 3 they also changed from a old way of doing the program to a complete re write of the code.
which is the same thing they have done for mm 4 also adding in the video playing part was a huge nightmare of a code
re write. but its close to the finish now. video is working proper on 90% of the users that have tested it.
skins are giving me and some others fits.. some features are giving me fits as they don't work but they are not new
features so something has to be found and fixed in the code. and finding bugs is a long and time consuming process,
it goes faster with more beta testers, but when only a few do testing. then it is a long and time consuming task.

all you need to do for testing betas of mediamonkey is install it in a folder not named the same as the old previous version
or you will lose your old version. so put the beta in a folder called beta version or mm 4.
then just use it like you would the old version and anything that shows up as strange. make a report about it in the forum
there might be one already there but then again maybe you are the only one to notice it. like on some of my reports i
am the only one to be reporting it. but i keep reporting it so they know it was not fixed by any of their other updates.
why even mediamonkey will sometimes pop up a report panel and let you fill it out, and if on line it will send it to support for you. not hard to test mediamonkey at all.

have to say thought just to becareful because beta programs are test versions and things might mess up your other programs, that is the general warning but in mediamonkey it is not messing up like that much if at all.
8)

so if you get the feeling to beta test mm 4 the more the merrier so to speak. and the faster it will get the bugs fixed.

roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I wasn't planning on getting involved in this conversation but...
DataDonkey wrote:@OP:

I do not understand how you can state that when the developers have been working hard and quickly on MM4, there have been many bugs resolved and development is still continuing, so how is it abandonware? Can you give some examples of developers giving snide remarks or arguments? I have yet to see any, I have seen devs debate what changes are made and why, but none have seemed disrespectful or argumentative.
DataDonkey wrote: But MM4 is vapor. Even add-on development has dried up (aside from skins.)
This is absolutely understandable, who would begin to develop scripts for a software that has not been finalized or released. Other than converting existing scripts to be able to work in MM4 I would not expect for any scripters to create new scripts for MM4. And there have been many existing scripters who have stated they will be scripting for MM4 as soon as it is released.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
joeshmoe

Post by joeshmoe »

georgeswift wrote:Well good thing this thread was here, because I also thought that nothing new was happening.
I guess everything is on social networks and forums nowadays. I'll better to my "likes" and "follows" now for news on MM.

Thanks thread poster!
Same situation here. I've been checking the website regularly for a long time hoping to see MM4 released.
only1miller

Post by only1miller »

I certainly hope MM4 isn't vaporware - I love MM3 and it's one of the few "free alternatives exist" software packages that I was happy to pay for.

I think it's kind of funny that all this energy is being spent debating the vaporware issue and the main website has STILL not been updated. I want MM to succeed for selfish reasons, and if I were a new potential buyer, I would leave dust clouds as I ran from the frozen-in-time homepage.

C'mon guys - get an intern or someone to at least post some fluff with a 2011 year on it :)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

only1miller wrote:I certainly hope MM4 isn't vaporware
It can't be vaporware if it already exists. Anyone can download it from the beta testing forum. This "debate" should not exist, as there is nothing to argue.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

NO ITS NOT becoming abandonware. !!!!!

i agree with nohitter151's last comment. now stop saying it is. i think this thread should be deleted.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.