is mediamonkey becoming abandoware?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

ShinerDraft

Re: is mediamonkey becoming abandoware?

Post by ShinerDraft »

I'm a happy, long time MM Gold user and I agree that news should be posted on the MM site first and foremost. Putting the same thing on FB & Twitter is a good idea as well, but your own site should be updated first.

In fact, I saw a few forum posts alluding to MM4, so I checked the news on the site and saw that the latest version listed (3.4) is older than the one I currently have installed (3.5). That caused me some concern, and that's why I clicked on this thread.
DataDonkey

Post by DataDonkey »

When/if the home page is updated and it says under Recent News "MediaMonkey 4 Released!" that's when I'll believe it's not abandonware.

"Look at all the beta versions we're working on" doesn't mean much to me. I'm not a beta tester. I'm an end user and I want a finished product. I don't drive a beta car.
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

DataDonkey wrote:I'm an end user and I want a finished product. I don't drive a beta car.
+1 :)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Rudolf wrote:
DataDonkey wrote:I'm an end user and I want a finished product. I don't drive a beta car.
The fact of the matter is you can't call it abandonware while it's being actively developed.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Stigg

Post by Stigg »

I can't believe this thread is still going. A bit of fun, I guess. :D
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

nohitter151 wrote:
The fact of the matter is you can't call it abandonware while it's being actively developed.[/quote]

Agreed, because another fact of the matter is, whether you are an end user who is a beta tester is irrelevant, development continues whether you choose to participate or not.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

DataDonkey wrote:When/if the home page is updated and it says under Recent News "MediaMonkey 4 Released!" that's when I'll believe it's not abandonware.

"Look at all the beta versions we're working on" doesn't mean much to me. I'm not a beta tester. I'm an end user and I want a finished product. I don't drive a beta car.
then sit and wait for the finished version, like the other end users.

as an end user of any program it is up to you to check for updated or new versions of the programs you use.
meaning when you see anyplace on the programs web site either its news page or its forum that there are beta versions
being tested, then it is impossible for you to say its abandoned. as you are then notified by your own eyes that it is not
abandoned ware and to call it such will be to say you do not believe what your own eyes have seen. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
DataDonkey

Post by DataDonkey »

"No, teacher, you can't say I didn't do my homework...see, I'm still working on it."
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

joeshmoe

Why lock the abandonware thread?

Post by joeshmoe »

I thought the thread contained some valid criticism from paying customers. Why not let folks air their concerns? I find it odd that someone has the time to lock a thread but the website still hasn't been updated. It seems like most of the response to the frustration was "look at the beta that's being worked on" but this beta has been dragging on for a really long time. Would the thread have more appropriately been call "is mediamonkey becoming neglectware"? I think the fact that the website still hasn't been updated is a bad sign. Adding to the news section would take all of five minutes. For a product that is sold exclusively through the internet that seems like the bare minimum one could do to keep it going. When I buy software one of the key criteria is active development. If I were buying today I would skim over something that was last updated in Nov 2010 quickly. I bought this software in 2007 and it was great back then so I got plenty of use out of it but It's a bummer watching it go downhill.
nynaevelan

Re: Why lock the abandonware thread?

Post by nynaevelan »

As was stated in that thread, this is a moot discussion. The program is obviously not abandonware since it is still under development, which you would see if you visited the Beta thread. There is also no need to update the news section of the website until the final version of the software is released. I guess we all could better utilize our time...
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

joeshmoe wrote:Would the thread have more appropriately been call "is mediamonkey becoming neglectware"? I think the fact that the website still hasn't been updated is a bad sign. Adding to the news section would take all of five minutes. For a product that is sold exclusively through the internet that seems like the bare minimum one could do to keep it going. When I buy software one of the key criteria is active development. If I were buying today I would skim over something that was last updated in Nov 2010 quickly. I bought this software in 2007 and it was great back then so I got plenty of use out of it but It's a bummer watching it go downhill.

That's just plain stupid. Before making assumptions about the development, you should inform yourself.
New builds are published every week. They are public and the thread to download them is sticky. The bugtracker also is public.

I would advise you to actually try the beta before stating that the software is going downhill. That way you'll have an informed opinion about Mediamonkey and his future.

Re. the lack of updates in the news section of the website, I agree with you.
foobar for example, publish information about the beta process on their homepage: http://www.foobar2000.org/
which is good practice IMO.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)

Post by Guest »

FWIW the only reason I came over to the forum was to see if it was active or if there was some notice explaining the lack of an update before considering a search for a new program, since the main page and news didn't appear to have been touched in a while and I found no indication there that development was still active. The average/casual user I don't think can be counted on to cruise the forums to see if there's a beta, and I'm not even sure the casual user would care. No need to get defensive about that, it's just the way it is. And some people will use a relative lack of information as a basis upon which to ask questions. It shows people are interested and maybe want more of what you got, and generally is an opportunity.
joeshmoe

Post by joeshmoe »

There is also no need to update the news section of the website until the final version of the software is released.
They could at least take the black Friday link off the latest news about 3.2.4. It's August.In addition I think the latest release is 3.2.5 which to me is newsworthy. I'm sure there is hard work going on behind the scenes but to an average visitor it looks like a neglected website.
Dreadlau wrote:That's just plain stupid.
Really? For future reference calling someone or their ideas "stupid" is considered childish and rude by most adults.

I have checked out the beta 4 thread but it's page after page of developer builds. I may have missed it but I didn't notice a release candidate. Media monkey 3 had eight release candidates and two test builds after that. Is MediaMonkey 4 that far off? My library is large and and took me quite a while to organize so I don't want to test beta or developer builds.
"Beta builds are near feature complete and have undergone more thorough testing, but along with many known issues, still have their fair share unknown issues.
Developer builds are used internally for testing and whose stability hasn't been verified."

It wasn't my intention to get anyone upset I was just surprised that instead of allowing customers to voice valid concerns the thread was locked. It was in that thread that I learned about 3.2.5. Instead of stifling polite criticism from customers why not use it to make the product/community better?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

joeshmoe wrote: It wasn't my intention to get anyone upset I was just surprised that instead of allowing customers to voice valid concerns the thread was locked. It was in that thread that I learned about 3.2.5. Instead of stifling polite criticism from customers why not use it to make the product/community better?
I locked the thread because it had devolved into a worthless discussion of whether MM development had stalled, when obviously it has not.

Several people voiced their concern over updating the website, and I think we all agreed we'd like to see more frequent news posts to the website. If you want to raise that in a new thread, (such as you did here), then you're welcome to that.