FLAC Lossless Uncompressed

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Lyndon

FLAC Lossless Uncompressed

Post by Lyndon »

There is a discussion thread over at Audio Circle that another company is offering FLAC Lossless Uncompressed in their new model.

Does MM have this or are they planning to offer this?

Link to discussion:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?to ... icseen#new
Lyndon

Re: FLAC Lossless Uncompressed

Post by Lyndon »

Great response, Teknojnky!
Is your response because the term Lossless Uncompressed is an oxymoron? Is it just a marketing gimmick?

Did you read the thread? Love some real feedback.
Last edited by Lyndon on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I read parts of the thread, this in particular was pretty hilarious..
I understand your "bits is bits" position, you've made it several times....I just don't agree at all with it...it's clearly debatable (hundreds of posts about wav vs "x" on many sites)..it's not empirical. I hear cable differences, I hear format differences (as do many others). And as I said already, they are consistent across hardware sources (i.e. it isn't a BDP-1 bug unless the same bug occurs on every source I've ever tried it on).
But anyway, you can see for yourself by opening the MM converter or rip dialog, that it does not (at least currently) support flac 'uncompressed', it supports 0 thru 8.

The whole discussion regarding wave vs flac vs various compression modes or uncompressed is retarded.

As long as there are no decode errors or errors introduced in the digital audio chain, there is absolutely ZERO difference in audio.

The only difference in flac levels, is compression speed vs file size, 0 = fastest compression and largest size (other than uncompressed), 8 = the max supported compression and smallest size.

Since this was a question, you're welcome to post a request for it the applicable forum, but it would be a waste on everyone's time since the whole 'uncompressed flac' is pointless to begin with.

:)

better inform yourself @ http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

The only difference in flac levels, is compression speed vs file size, 0 = fastest compression and largest size (other than uncompressed), 8 = the max supported compression and smallest size.
Thanks, T!
That's what I thought, and I do agree with you on that comment from the thread.
Lyndon
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

To put it simply, Lossless Uncompressed = WAVE.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Corrupter2

Post by Corrupter2 »

Eyal wrote:To put it simply, Lossless Uncompressed = WAVE.
FLAC have better tag support.