Tracks playing in Alphabetic order - why?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Rich5ltr

Tracks playing in Alphabetic order - why?

Post by Rich5ltr »

Hello - I've been using MediaMonkey to rip CDs onto a flash drive for my new car because it was recommended by a number of owners. I must say it's a great product and easier to use than other tools I've used. There is one issue I have and I'm sure someone can help.

So far I've loaded about 10 CDs onto the drive and along with album covers but on two of them when played in my car the tracks play in alphabetic order not rack number order. I've checked that the tracks are numbered which they are but is there anything obvious I can do to correct this. It's a bit irritating.

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Tracks playing in Alphabetic order - why?

Post by Lowlander »

It depends on the car stereo how files are played. Some will read tags and thus as long as tags are in order tracks will play in order. Some lack this capability and only sort on filenames. In that case you'll need to have the Track# first in the filename (ie. a Destination mask like \<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#>. <Artist> - <Title>).
Rich5ltr

Post by Rich5ltr »

Thanks, not sure I quite understand that but why would 8 of the 10 CDs play correctly? It's as if the car player isn't recognising something on just 2 CDs/folders or whatever you'd call them.

Are you saying I should edit the file to add the track number in front of the track name so that they go in order?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It depends on your car stereo as to what is needed. I was suggesting that same use filenames and thus the the filename (not tags) should start with Track# in those cases.

It is strange only 2 Albums are affected, perhaps there is something special about their tags like foreign characters that is tripping up the car stereo.
Rich5ltr

Post by Rich5ltr »

I'll try editing the track numbers by deleting them to clear any foreign values and re-entering them. If that doesn't work I'll simply add the number to the front of the track title. Bit late to try now but thanks for your help... :)

Well this morning I tried adding the number of the track in front of the track's title and that worked. So it seems for two CDs (Dark Side of The Moon and Chris Isaak) the control unit in my car (Porsche PCM) wants to ignore the track number tag and play in alphabetic order whereas for the majority of albums it's recognises the track number.

Only a little irritating but now I need to solve the mystery! :-?