Unbelievable Non-Intuitive Interface

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Alex B

Unbelievable Non-Intuitive Interface

Post by Alex B »

As a software designer (Databases for Commercial Applications) I am stunned that you could develop such a nice piece of software but have such a shitty non-intuitive interface. I bought the Gold version... Hoping it somehow might be cleaner. I like the elements of the software but I estimate you lose at least 40% of your potential market share because users cannot do simple things such just show a playlist? Why would this not be accessible via the top ribbon? Why would you not have all the major commands along the top ribbon instead of nested in a snaggle of twisted logic. I am hoping I can get over the learning curve and use this software but I didn't want to buy a media player that I had to learn to use. First rule of Interface design... Show people what they expect to see... Sorry if I sound like an asshole but I just spent 5 minutes (yet again) trying to find my playlist. Never getting modal columns off my video screen when I reduce screen size... Really, I think you have a nice app here, but talk to the UI team and get some non techies to play with it before the next release.
Eyal

Re: Unbelievable Non-Intuitive Interface

Post by Eyal »

Alex B wrote:I am hoping I can get over the learning curve and use this software but I didn't want to buy a media player that I had to learn to use.
No luck, Mediamonkey has a steeper learning curve but is one of the most powerful music management software on the market.

BTW you could have try the free version before buying it... and complaining.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Peke

Post by Peke »

Alex B wrote:As a software designer (Databases for Commercial Applications) I am stunned that you could develop such a nice piece of software but have such a shitty non-intuitive interface. I bought the Gold version... Hoping it somehow might be cleaner. I like the elements of the software but I estimate you lose at least 40% of your potential market share because users cannot do simple things such just show a playlist? Why would this not be accessible via the top ribbon? Why would you not have all the major commands along the top ribbon instead of nested in a snaggle of twisted logic. I am hoping I can get over the learning curve and use this software but I didn't want to buy a media player that I had to learn to use. First rule of Interface design... Show people what they expect to see... Sorry if I sound like an asshole but I just spent 5 minutes (yet again) trying to find my playlist. Never getting modal columns off my video screen when I reduce screen size... Really, I think you have a nice app here, but talk to the UI team and get some non techies to play with it before the next release.
Few facts:
- You A-hole, certainly not. I'm thinking that you are just opposite of that. In fact I'm thinking you are in love with the monkey and you want to shake it a bit.
- As software developer you must know how complex things became when you want to open things as much as possible to users and developers, bur maintain Shareware/Proprietary state of core app.
- As software developer I'm guessing that MMW plugin/scripting structure and API can give you whatever you want.
- UI as is is highly open to customization and reorganization which make users easier access
- MM5 ("MediaMonkey 5.x") is designed to look whatever you want.
- MMW ("MediaMonkey Windows Desktop") UI still is based on design 15 years old

Questions:
1. What do you mean search for playlists?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ophiuchis

Post by Ophiuchis »

Incredible powerful software.
But Alex B. has the reason: I spend an enormous amount of time triying to do something.

So good software deserves infinitely better interface.

Sorry and thanks.
Oph.