Sync to Network Share on NAS fails

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey 5 and learn about the newest builds.

Moderator: Gurus

Zonky

Sync to Network Share on NAS fails

Post by Zonky » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:51 am

Hi,

I've got a Synology NAS and create a network share to let MM5 sync a playlist to, for testing pruposes, though. I've given this share a drive letter (R:) and I can write to the share using e.g. Windows Explorer.

Within MM5, I've created a new playlist ("Synology Test") and added some MP3 files, stored on a local harddrive of my PC.

I've then set up a new device profile for this drive (R:), checked the appropriate playlist from above and let MM5 create a playlist in m3u format.
After a sync to this device, I've got two folders in root: \Music and \Playlists, thats fine. Under \Music there are many subfolders and inside many MP3 files.

But, all files do have zero file sizes, even the m3u file shows no content! I've searched one of those synced MP3 files on my local harddisk and manually copied it to the folder where I found the appropriate zeroed file. All went well! File size OK, album art is OK and even MP3 tags are OK.

So, what went wrong? Even recreating the device profile once again and giving it a second shot, shows the same results again. MM5 is version 5.0.0.2160 (portable), btw.

Next annoying thing I've noticed: I've deleted both subfolders from drive R:, \Music and \Playlists and tried a resync with MM5. But nothing happend, no new subfolders are created and no files are copied, to of course.

Did I miss the obvious?

Michael

Peke

Re: Sync to Network Share on NAS fails

Post by Peke » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi,
I use QNAP to store my media and I am Missing something in your setup.

Are you planing to move files from Local Drive to NAS or you want to Sync To NAS PATH like any other Syncable Device?

If You want to use it as sync Device I would suggest to use "syncToFolder.mmip" plugin from SAmple script folder in MM5 install dir.
That plugin will allow you to create new sync point for a folder on nas eg. \\SynNAS\MediaSync\ and use it as regular Sync device.

If you want to move your files to NAS then you should use Auto-Organize instead of sync.

Can you please explain in more details step by step what you odo and what you expect to get as result.

You can also use Tutorial from my signature or add links to pics so that we can better understand the issue.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Ludek

Post by Ludek » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:01 am

I've then set up a new device profile for this drive (R:),
How exactly did you set up a new device profile for the drive (R:) ?
Using right-click > 'Set as sync target... ' option?

EDIT:
I reproduced the zero bytes issue this way, re-opened https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 353#c52325 to fix this.

Zonky

Post by Zonky » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:34 am

Peke wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:20 pm
Are you planing to move files from Local Drive to NAS or you want to Sync To NAS PATH like any other Syncable Device?

If You want to use it as sync Device I would suggest to use "syncToFolder.mmip" plugin from SAmple script folder in MM5 install dir.
That plugin will allow you to create new sync point for a folder on nas eg. \\SynNAS\MediaSync\ and use it as regular Sync device.
Hi Peke,

I would like to sync to the NAS like I do for memory sticks, too. Hence, I will try the mentioned plugin later today and report back.

After installing the plugin, are there any further steps to take into consideration? E.g. remove the current device profile for my NAS and start over with a new one?

thanks,
Michael

Ludek

Post by Ludek » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:26 am

You don't need to install the plugin as it is pre-installed by default.
i.e. using right-click > 'Set as sync target... ' option is part of the plugin, so that's probably what you have already done?

You just need to wait for build 2161 including the fix for the "zero bytes files" issue (as I noted above).

Zonky

Post by Zonky » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:04 pm

Ludek wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:26 am
You don't need to install the plugin as it is pre-installed by default.
i.e. using right-click > 'Set as sync target... ' option is part of the plugin, so that's probably what you have already done?
I did it similar, using the tree on the left: Node "Devices & Services" -> (on the right side) "Storage & Services" -> (hit the + sign ) -> Configured the new device profile.
Using your way, "Set as Sync Target" leads me to a new device profile under "Storage & Services", too.

One question still left: when deleting all of those zero byte files from my NAS folder and trigger a re-sync, why does MM5 assume the files are already there? It does not copy the files again.

Michael

Zonky

Post by Zonky » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:43 am

Ludek wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:01 am
I reproduced the zero bytes issue this way, re-opened https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 353#c52325 to fix this.
This has been resolve in 2161! Thanks for the fix!

Michael

Zonky

Post by Zonky » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:45 am

Zonky wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:04 pm
One question still left: when deleting all of those zero byte files from my NAS folder and trigger a re-sync, why does MM5 assume the files are already there? It does not copy the files again.
After updating to build 2161 I had to delete mm5.db from .\portable folder to get the sync to my NAS working again.
MM5 did not recognize anymore that I've previously deleted all files from the network folder. Don't know if this is a bug or not...

Michael